It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Oil & Gas Drilling Looks Like from the Air, Wyoming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
There is so much wrong with this picture I don't even know where to start.

We have GOT to start raising hell about the rape of this planet and the contamination and exploitation of OUR resources! Damn it..this has GOT to stop! Just one more glaring example of Mega Corp running unchecked and unregulated,right here in America..right up there with mountaintop removal for coal,one of THE worst polluters of air and water there is.

Honestly,I don't know which is worst..petroleum or coal.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Ha...that is my backyard...nice to see it from the air.

Now about the video:

I suppose this could be done away with...along with thousands of jobs in an already record high unemployment era....and I suppose we could quit mining coal and shut down a few thousand power plants too.

Maybe we could all go out and buy an electric car and do away with oil too...put dang we shut down the power plants!

Nuclear power you think? Sure why not...much safer and environmentally friendly!

Why not just shut down Wyoming down copletely...and we can all move to California!

edit on 10-12-2011 by jerryznv because: ..

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
home sweet home destroying the world for a profit

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Sub-bituminous coal is low sulfer coal and healthier for the enviroment than burning any other coal...

this map shows why sub-bituminous coal is mined so heavily in Wyoming...and without it your power bill would triple...if you could still get electicity at all!

MAP

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Pfft, animal trails for migrating herds, c'mon jobs and progress, jobs and progress! < sarcasm off >
These wells are the new clearcuts, scabbing over the land. 10,000 new ones coming and this is going on in several states at a rampant pace.

Here is a thread about more Wyoming drilling:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

We could just pull power out of thin air like Tesla planned, and which J.P. Morgan backed with hundreds of thousands of dollars... until they realized there was no way to meter it, thus no profit in it, and backed out.
People have got to let go of the archaic notion of money and learn to embrace technology and all that it can provide.
We can all live lives doing what ever we want, while machines and ingenuity pick up the slack taking care of power and the jobs no one would want, letting humanity focus on advancement instead of personal gain. We're outgrowing this rock, and if we're ever to survive as a species we need to let go of the idea of using dead animals and charred remains as fuel for profit and get onboard the free energy bandwagon. Sure there will be job losses and a handful of billionaires will be bankrupt, but the newly unemployed can get work in one of the new progressive markets, and the rich... well they'll just be $h!t out of luck. Do you care? I sure as hell don't.
The "Job makers" out there haven't made any jobs in over a decade. They've squandered their chance. It's time to let go of the past and look on to the future.

edit on 10-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
As a solution.. what would you do with the entire oil industry? You do realise just how many jobs are tied into it, right? I bet you have no idea

Millions and Millions! And that's just the people that are US Natives. That's not counting the millions of others from other countries that come here and work side by side.

ok... Now, once we get rid of the rig problem... Then you go refinery workers.. Then 3rd party workers, which are just as plentiful as the hands on a rig, that NEED the rig to survive and be able to eat.

That's just the inner circle. Now, imagine how many millions more are related to the oilfield just the same.. Then, imagine all your plastics dissapearing since you cant make that stuff, and MANY MANY other products without oil. 90% and more of everything you have around you, coke bottles, key chains, hats, guns, plates, beds, everything that makes up your car, except the metal of course, not just what's run in your car.. all of that needs oil to be made. Imagine a world without oil, then you can imagine a world without industry, everything.. We'd still be in wooden shacks, living off of the land, no cars, no tv, no electricity.. Ya think you work hard now? We'd be cutting wood, farming, fishing, building homes from daylight to dark every day while relying on livestock to carry us around again.

Oilrigs are regulated. If there is a drop of hydrocarbon of anykind on the ground and a safety man/woman see it, you can bet your butt you'll get written up, shut down and probably fired. OSHA is VERY strict about that. Offshore needs more help, i agree. Land rigs are very clean. We dont just dump the stuff on the ground. Those pits you see next to those rigs are mud resevoirs. They're lined and it all gets picked up when done. Every drop!

Why do most people who know nothing about the oilfield always bash it but cant tell you one simple thing about how the bloody things are run? Just because it's there, it's an eyesore... it's pulling oil from the ground so it's raping the land of resources ....we wouldnt have if we didnt pull it up in the first place. If we didnt pull it up, it would find it's way to the surface like many other patches of oil have done for millions of years. Many people dont even realise that oil does come to the surface. It's not always 14K feet under the earth. At least when we pull it up, we dont leave it on the ground. Nature just leaves it there to kill anything green it covers. ..and it stays there.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here are more details about the processes used. It should also be noted that Uranium extraction in Colorado uses highly toxic acids to release the Uranium as a liquid whid must be pumped up through the water table. Safety is wholly reliant on the integrity of the well casing
www.ewg.org...
At some point we simply are going to have to reassess how we get energy. I half expect a mini-dark age will occur before we are simply forced to do so.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It's ok. They're building a shopping mall with a forest theme in the nearby community of Pinedale.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Seems that coal and power go hand in hand...if your against mining coal then turn off your t.v. and lights for the day...you'll be doing the planet a favor!

Over half the power plants in the US are coal burning plants...shut down half the power to the country and see what that does for the economy and for civil unrest!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Reel your neck in a minute and have a read of this. www.nrdc.org...

Oh and this -

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Drilling fluids from a company employing a technique known as "fracking" likely polluted an aquifer in Wyoming, environmental regulators said in a draft report that could blow apart industry claims the process has never led to water contamination.
news.yahoo.com...
Can you explain this?

Wyoming's smog exceeds Los Angeles' due to gas drilling. Rural Wyoming, known for breathtaking vistas, now has worse smog than Los Angeles because of its boom in natural gas drilling. Residents who live near the gas fields in the state's western corner are complaining of watery eyes, shortness of breath and bloody noses, reports the Associated Press. The cause is clearer than the air: local ozone levels recently exceeded the highest levels recorded in the biggest U.S. cities last year.
content.usatoday.com... Here is another problem....

Environmentalists said they served formal notice Thursday to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in preparation for a lawsuit over severe wintertime ozone pollution linked to gas drilling in western Wyoming Several groups said they sent a letter to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson that meets a requirement to provide at least 60 days' notice before a lawsuit can be filed. The Upper Green River Basin is home to the Pinedale Anticline and Jonah gas fields, which are among the largest U.S. gas fields. Last winter, ozone in the basin exceeded the worst days in any major U.S. city all last year, according to EPA data.
www.ntaatribalair.org...
Care to sweep this one under the rug?

Natural gas hydrofracturing took a public relations hit this month, when a British energy company admitted that its fracking operation in England was the direct cause of several small earthquakes earlier this year. And it's happening over here, too: a United States Geological Survey report found that 50 earthquakes in Oklahoma were the result of fracking.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

It saddens me, this guy is standing in a parking lot and does not see the light.
At that moment around 600 watts per square meter is hitting the parking lot.
Do the math

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I can't stand the argument of "well where then would you get your plastics and your fuel and your blaaah blaaah.."

Why the hell don't they legalize industrial hemp?????

So frustrating to watch this sh** happen..

What happened to people's conscious.

edit on 10-12-2011 by Jazz87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
reply to post by theRhenn

Reel your neck in a minute and have a read of this. www.nrdc.org...

Oh and this -

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Drilling fluids from a company employing a technique known as "fracking" likely polluted an aquifer in Wyoming, environmental regulators said in a draft report that could blow apart industry claims the process has never led to water contamination.
news.yahoo.com...
Can you explain this?

Wyoming's smog exceeds Los Angeles' due to gas drilling. Rural Wyoming, known for breathtaking vistas, now has worse smog than Los Angeles because of its boom in natural gas drilling. Residents who live near the ............................................

1- Already spoke about that one in another thread. It's been going on for years, many years, and we only see one bit of evidence about it now? Oh! TPTB had control so no one was supposed to know... But they dont now?

Is it possible that one rig didnt do their part right so they messed up... BP did the same in the gulf. So we should stop ALL fracking and ALL drilling for the idiocy and ignorance of a few???

wow... you're going to change the whole world like that! ...and not for the better.

2- How does gas drilling and smog relate exactly? As far as I can tell, those rig generators put out no more smog than an 18wheeler. Sorry, I dont buy it. Propaganda... Yeah, I'm still scratching my head on this one

3- Thats what Environmentalists... They make a big deal out of whatever they want when they want. They're no diffrent than the AACP and political beauracrats. Usually in one side's pocket or the others.

4- Umm I'm pretty sure the EQs in OK are probably comming from a fault line. A minor disturbance like that would not cause that kind of butterfly effect. Sorry. You're gonna have to show me some physics on that one buddy... You would think the pipe used was as wide as a 50 story building. Sorry... a few inches to less than 1 foot wide of pipe, going through a self drilled hole the same size.. Sure, that's gonna make one hell of an earthquake.

Originally posted by Jazz87
I can't stand the argument of "well where then would you get your plastics and your fuel and your blaaah blaaah.."

Why the hell don't they legalize industrial hemp?????

So frustrating to watch this sh** happen..

What happened to people's conscious.

edit on 10-12-2011 by Jazz87 because: (no reason given)

ok.. .so then seriously... what would you do? No CDs, no radio, no music.... You gonna burn hemp in your gas tank? Hey, great idea! Tommy Chong thought of it first in Up In Smoke.

Its a legitimate question. What will you do now? You're going to faze it out towards hemp, but you have to understand, hemp isnt the cure all. There are still going to be things requiring oil. LOTS of things.

You also must realise just how much of a markup fuel made from hemp is going to run.

Patience... With the technology comming out today, we'll get there. It's not an over night thing. And you still have those MILLIONS of jobs to worry about.... Or would you just rather them starve and die?

oh... Get another job! Sure... That'll work. You'll have to displace millions of families to do this. You cant just say, hey, there was a rig here! So build a hemp shop for those guys workin on that rig, so they can feed their kids.. Sure, that minimum wage will be perfect for them!

Rig hands get paid VERY well. Why? Because it's VERY Dangerous. That's like telling a football star that you're going to start paying him in grain instead of money.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Am I the only one that sees the irony of a guy standing in a parking lot implying that he drove a car(probably an SUV) and then getting on a helicopter all fueled by refined oil flying around and bad mouthing producing oil. Theses same clowns probably think wind energy is great. I wish I had a fly over of a windfarm to show the roads and development caused by wind energy. Obviously the effects of the glue sniffing for all of these glue heads that have gone organic prohibit them from perceiving irony.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Sub-bituminous coal is low sulfer coal and healthier for the enviroment than burning any other coal...

this map shows why sub-bituminous coal is mined so heavily in Wyoming...and without it your power bill would triple...if you could still get electicity at all!

MAP

But how long will it be until it is no more????? Look at the BIG picture.

new topics

top topics

join