It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our computer could measure the temperature inside a room?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I asked my self many times,if something like that is possible.
If there is a program to use our computer to measure the temperature inside our room ,without any other device attached to it.
In my opinion I think that will be another way to use a computer in useful way.

What kind of a program we need to do this?
Does anyone now?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thermometers are pretty cheap and still reliable without the need to be hooked up to the latest pentium.

The only way you can achieve what you mean is to have a sensor on the outside of the computer, so without external peripherals all your computer can do is give you the temperatures inside your pc, of the cpu, gpu and whatever else they stick a sensor on nowadays.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by keepithush
Thermometers are pretty cheap and still reliable without the need to be hooked up to the latest pentium.

The only way you can achieve what you mean is to have a sensor on the outside of the computer, so without external peripherals all your computer can do is give you the temperatures inside your pc, of the cpu, gpu and whatever else they stick a sensor on nowadays.
Yes,but what I am asking is,if a program could be created to measure the temperature without any other device attached,based on the temperature inside the core of the computer!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

No, because the only sensors are inside the casing which is a lot warmer than the temperature of the room.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

No, because the only sensors are inside the casing which is a lot warmer than the temperature of the room.
Yes but using the variation of the temperature inside, and the temperature of the chassis,maybe we can create a program to do so.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

It would only work if You used a sensor placed directly in the air-inlet.
If you have a addon card for fan-controlling with a digital display, and use one of the spare thermo-sensors it could work

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

OK but then you would have to take into account gpu runs warmer on certain programmes, is there a draft in the room which alters the air intake of the fans, how many fans, what size are they, how long has the pc been on, where in the room is the pc located, the air pockets inside each pc is different from one to the next, etc, etc, etc.
By the time you do the long winded math you could have gone out and bought a thermometer for £1.99 at Wilkos.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

OK but then you would have to take into account gpu runs warmer on certain programmes, is there a draft in the room which alters the air intake of the fans, how many fans, what size are they, how long has the pc been on, where in the room is the pc located, the air pockets inside each pc is different from one to the next, etc, etc, etc.
By the time you do the long winded math you could have gone out and bought a thermometer for £1.99 at Wilkos.
On long time period the variation of temperature at all time,can give you the media temperature, at a certain moment.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

my iMac (27" mid-2010) can detect ambient temperature I use iStat Pro to find out what the temperature is. it is a widget.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

OK Lets say that the PC ran at the exact same temperature at all times was in the same conditions at all times then you could deduct the heat of say the CPU with the fans ON then switch the fans off (not recommended) and then the size and speed of the fan to find the room temperature.
If you are a troll I applaud you for this totally pointless method to find out if your room is warm or cold.
Pretty sure you could find a much simpler method, a thermometer for instance, maybe some weird method involving steam and a handkerchief and a bucket of mercury.
I don't know, I just feel for something that a cheap instrument that requires nothing more than a bit of mercury and a glass tube that you can buy ready made tested and approved for resale at a local shop for a few quid/bucks I don't see the whole point of this awkward theoretical method to find the temperature of a room which is totally dependent on working out the math of the components and tower/laptop interior heat, fans and room conditions.

Originally posted by fnord

my iMac (27" mid-2010) can detect ambient temperature I use iStat Pro to find out what the temperature is. it is a widget.

Totally reliant on sensors included for the purpose of gathering ambient temperature.
OP wants a method that relies on bog-standard sensors on CPU/GPU chips.
edit on 10-12-2011 by keepithush because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by keepithush

You see,if can measure the ambient temperature ,maybe can measure different type of radiation,a way to find interesting,things from a distance!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
...without any other device attached to it.

If you're willing to get an external device, a quick search of ebay says you can buy a "usb thermometer" for about 7 dollars.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by diamondsmith
...without any other device attached to it.

If you're willing to get an external device, a quick search of ebay says you can buy a "usb thermometer" for about 7 dollars.
I am referring to mass production!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Your motherboard can do this already. Has done so for many years. It can detect fan speed, temperature of the CPU, the case and outside the case. (considering you have an external part - or half your motherboard hanging out

You can buy similar components as well. Just get ya either an adapter from some site like tigerdirect, or a simple plug in to your case.

Software wise? Hmm Try Sourceforge.net

edit on 10-12-2011 by theRhenn because: more info

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hard disks have fairly stable temperatures over time and they are usually located near the front of the case away from the hottest components. They also have thermometers that can be read if you have SMART enabled in BIOS and the proper program. You could use a thermometer once to find the delta between ambient and hdd temp, then use that delta to find room temperature from hdd temperature from that point on.
edit on 10/12/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

Your motherboard can do this already. Has done so for many years. It can detect fan speed, temperature of the CPU, the case and outside the case.

You can buy similar components as well. Just get ya either an adapter from some site like tigerdirect, or a simple plug in to your case.
I was thinking to a factory made computer to do this!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
sorry brother, I edited my comment a bit while you were responding.

You want to do this with software, then you might try Sourceforge. It's full of open source proggies and people that can help, if it's possible. I wouldnt think it's possible to do this with software though. You would still have to have that external thermometer.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
sorry brother, I edited my comment a bit while you were responding.

You want to do this with software, then you might try Sourceforge. It's full of open source proggies and people that can help, if it's possible. I wouldnt think it's possible to do this with software though. You would still have to have that external thermometer.
You see,with a program like this,people can do some money,but who will listen.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Sourceforge is bliss, D.

It's specificly for open source code. It's for sharing and help building. If you want something REALLY free out there, check out sourceforge.net. It's dedicated to the true gift of free knowledge and people that enjoy doing things for the sake of doing it, not charging you an arm for it.

If it's available, it'll probably be there, and most often, It wont cost you anything.

A good example.

Microsoft Word vs OpenOffice.

You pay for one, you can get the other on Sourceforge for free. They look almost exactly alike and both work almost exactly the same.
edit on 10-12-2011 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Aha, thank you,good source!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join