It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HiRise Hiview-Mars imaging software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Has anyone had a chance to try out this program yet?
Its quite new I think,and I am struggling to download it on my awful connection.

Its a free prog,which lets you view mars through the eyes of the HiRise mars imaging satellite.

Here is the link:

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

You can save images to your PC in different formats.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
BTW its only 8.4 mb,and you don't have to register.

I wish my net connection would allow me to get it,guess I will have to leave it downloading tonight.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Best tool to look into hi-re imagery of Mars. Tnks OP.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Oh wow, neat. You are given a form after clicking download that asks for your name, affiliation, email address, and intended use. For the latter I wrote something along the lines of searching for alien structures on the surface of the planet, lol...

I laugh but I probably will just for kicks, and to pass some time and distract me from my boring life, lol. Just finished downloading. It went pretty fast for me.

EDIT TO ADD:

I just started fiddling with the program about 10 minutes ago, and I want to initially say that this software is not for individuals who simply wish to look at the surface of mars, as is done with pictures of the surface. I could not actually get the program to zoom in on the surface at all, as the blurry pixelation starts a great distance from the surface.

It is possible that I just don't know what I am doing, but I speculate that this is more data-driven software. I suppose if I had read the information on their website before I downloaded I could have learned something, but I failed. So I will read some posts today, and if no one figures out awesome cool features for us noobs, then I am uninstalling the software.
edit on 12/10/11 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I downloaded some JPG images from HiRISE website but when I try to open with HiView, I got this msg:

UA::HiRISE::Image_Renderer (1.50 2011/11/27 01:35:59)
Failed to load an image from "C:/Users/Ucalien/Documents/NASA HiRISE images/ESP_024590_1475_RED.abrowse.jpg".
An image could not be obtained from the file.

Is anyone having the same problem?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

I bet they will get a lot of alien comments in the box!
But you don't have to fill in any of that form if you don't want to.
I really want to try it out,but my bandwidth is being hogged at the moment,will have to wait a while.

Hope it allows you to zoom in nice and close!

reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

Thats a pain...hopefully its just a minor bug they will fix,as it is only the first version of the prog.
Hope you get it to work soon.

edit on 10/12/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Minor bug?? I downloaded a lot of JPG images and can't get to open a single one. I don't know about those JP2 format but, the standard JPG files are not opening.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1AnunnakiBastard
I downloaded some JPG images from HiRISE website but when I try to open with HiView, I got this msg:

UA::HiRISE::Image_Renderer (1.50 2011/11/27 01:35:59)
Failed to load an image from "C:/Users/Ucalien/Documents/NASA HiRISE images/ESP_024590_1475_RED.abrowse.jpg".
An image could not be obtained from the file.

Is anyone having the same problem?

Me.
Windows block this program as unsafe....

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I didn't had any problems downloading or using it, although I think IASViewer is better.

I haven't tried to open JPGs with it, only JP2 files.

Edit: it didn't open the JPG file. It also failed to open a TIFF file, but it works with PNG files.
edit on 10/12/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
I could not actually get the program to zoom in on the surface at all, as the blurry pixelation starts a great distance from the surface.
It looks like the downloading of the image data is a little slow, so it takes some time to get the current view from their site.

Using already downloaded JP2 files it works as it should.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is interesting software. I do have photo of something that looks like a high rise with this giant crater around it. It looks like the dark side of the moon or something. The photo seems to be take from orbit.. it's strange image to say the least, I don't know what it is though moon asteroid or what.

edit on 10-12-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

Wow,you have an image?
If you are seeing a pic of a planet,it should be Mars taken by the HiRise mars imaging satellite.
Well done,I can't get the thing to work,sorry to everyone else who tried and didn't get it working.
I have crappy net connection,which I am thinking is my problem.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Have you tried it with a previously downloaded image, instead of using it with an online image?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I wish i could download this, but my computer wont let me..it says, it could harm my computer and i cant bypass it! &^%$#@! looked real interesting

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bezerker

What program gives you that message?

top topics

join