It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So who's correct then?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
We have those on ATS who get worried about, for example, that post about 'if you hoard enough bulk food for 7 days you're labeled a terrorist', and how in Tennessee those Fed Agents went to some Mormon Food Storage Facility and wanted to know who bought food, etc. And now enter the one I just read about the middle schooler in Tennessee whose teacher told the kids they have to do this assignment or get an F: Take pics of all the food in your fridge, pantries, cupboards AND also your entire family who lives there.

People on here get very worried about stuff like this because most of us feel the USA is turning really bad really fast and this is only the tip of one horrific iceburg.

And then you get those who are chill and say 'relax. It's just a school assignment; you're flipping for no reason at all. Jumping to conclusions." or "They can't keep you from buying bulk - what about Sams' Club,etc".

Both sides could very well be the correct side. I know this is a conspiracy site and all sides are welcome, but doesn't it ride your mind now and then about who is truly correct vs who is sleeping/fear mongering/ etc? I'd like to be prepared - but I also don't want to end up with 3 generators like some did on Jan 1, 2000. Remember that scare?

how do you KNOW which side to believe? I can get SO into some posts on here and be all hyped up - and 7 pages later read something from someone on the other side of the fence, see wisdom, and lose that hype, though still be on the fence. I try to stay on the fence about things as much as possible. But sometimes something pulls at your heart strings either to be for or anti.... well.

So folks.... How do you all know which side to believe? And then, if you find out later your side was wrong, how do you react about it? Do you just go about your way or do you apologize in said thread (especially if you were rude to someone on the opposite side of the fence?) I'm just curious really.
edit on 10-12-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Take what others say with a grain of salt . Then do some research on your own to draw your conclusions. A healthy dose of common sense helps too.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Hi. Your question is a black and white one, a choice between two perceived poles. Nothing wrong with that if you're asking whether the player scored a goal, for instance. However, when it comes to values, the lines can be grayed / blurred, simply because different cultures have differing values or differing limits and boundaries on the same values. So if I were to ask, re-phrasing your question, "Which boundaries are being blurred?" In this case it is privacy. We all have to put brakes on when it comes to our own values and set limits or boundaries. If the limits we set are crossed, then there is outrage and people speak out, as they have done about the school assignment. The experience of others helps us to foresee the consequences of inattention to those boundaries, especially as this site believes, a police state is creeping in on us.

As for rudeness, I don't understand it, except when the immature want to score ego points, imo. Civility is another value I cherish. no criticism or judgment intended. Peace.
edit on 10-12-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Say what???????/

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Sorry if my other post didn't connect. I was interrupted while writing it and just remembered the question as to whom to believe.

On this site I was conscious of having to define my values and believe in myself. But the more I know myself the less I get drawn in. For instance, I do not click on animal cruelty threads. I found that ATS has helped me open my mind a little more, offering points of view and perceptions I never would have imagined. I'm slowly getting to know the real experts from the false ones who just have strong opinions. What I got from the threads you referenced above is what I wrote in my other post. it doesn,t matter to me whether the claim is true, but rather how i can apply what I learned from it about how far I let others in the real world push my boundaries.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

That actually makes sense. Thanks for that insight.

I do find myself able to think about stuff I read and weigh it and look it up at times; other times I'll see something, jaw drops and I run to post it on facebook and later feel horrid because someone proves it wrong. So I've been guilty of playing both sides of the fence.

But thanks. This actually makes it all more clear.

top topics

join