It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa rover finds 'strongest' evidence yet of water on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Not anything that will surprise most people here.. but it seems more evidence is emerging all the time to confirm the water on mars theory..

A Nasa rover scouting for signs of past water on Mars has found the strongest evidence yet - a vein of gypsum, a mineral deposited by water, protruding from an ancient rock.

Gypsum - commonly known as plaster of Paris - typically forms from water flowing through rock.

"This is the single most bullet-proof observation that I can think of that we've made this entire mission," Cornell University planetary scientist Steve Squyres, lead researcher for Nasa's Spirit and Opportunity Mars rovers, told Reuters.

Both the chemistry and the geologic conditions "just scream water," he added.

It really is now just a matter of time before we get 100% confirmation..

forgot to add the link.. here it is...
telegraph
edit on 10/12/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I thought this was already known?

Havent' they said a few times there was water on Mars at one time?

Water on Ancient Mars

And in this thread by Skyfloating there are links about water on Ancient Mars.
Ancient Mars

I saw this article last night while looking online and I'm not sure what is new to be found since there are many previous articles where they state they know Mars had water in the past.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

yeah.. i think its a given there was once water on mars, there is now a wealth of evidence to suggest there was/is...

although i may be wrong, but i dont think it has actually been 100% officially confirmed yet..

this find is a pretty big one in terms science and exploration..

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I with the responders thus far. Water on Mars is old news. That really doesnt mean much in the scheme of things. Show me life, then martian water will maybe then become interesting to me. I thought it was pretty obvious, with all the snow on the ground there in the winter seasons.

But thanks for the update none the less!
edit on 10-12-2011 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Oh, yes! A very strong point for NASA to beat us over the head with for yet more months if not years.

The eventual goal is to connect water to life. No doubt the plan is to find with the new mission evidence of past life and beat us over the head with it for a couple of years before they get to the real cookie.

Anyone--especially you youngsters, that doubt life on Mars needs to backtrack and research the mid 1970s twin missions of the Vikings landers with their "search for life" experiments and their results that were thrown out by TPTB. The designer of that experiment has reexamined the data and finds that the Vikings DID find life.

Why would such results be denied? Basically, for one important reason. Science was marching too strongly toward the truth that the public would not be in the mood to fully accept. It is easy to see that the ambitious Vikings were eons ahead of the public['s mind and, in fact, even scientific thinking about life in the Universe. Much of that anthroprocentric thinking is gone from science today. It is a firm bet that the new mission will give us undeniable evidence that there was, of course, life on Mars. and they will take their time ratcheting the real truth to us.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I think water on Mars has been known about for a long time, we're now looking for evidence of bottled water, and shopping malls. Pizza places and no fly zones on the moon, and coming soon, McDonalds and Burger Kings on Mars. Aliens gotta eat too.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I am just curious. What is the big point if we find out? They have done numerous tests ect. and I have even seen a documentary that says we are far out of our league of leaving this planet to inhabit another one. Because our bodies would become weaker in space and make it harder for men and women to reproduce. That or maybe I am tired and getting my programs and info mixed up but I believe I am right. Either way finding out would be great but would also require even more research just to get us off of this planet, make the planet inhabitable and properly inform the public. I mean I just don't see the point sometimes.

edit on 11-12-2011 by Rishiana because: More info

edit on 11-12-2011 by Rishiana because: More info needed

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Always a lame joke to spoil a Mars thread you can guarantee it.....

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This was addressed here already. Same picture (Reuters/AP) and The Telegraph has less info than Science Daily on the subject.

ATS: "Slam-dunk" 100% proof that water used to flow on Mars

Since it's technically a different source I don't care if the thread stays active or not, just pointing it out.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
You people really seem to take some findings in space exploration for granted. Yes, NASA has issued a lot of news in the past regarding the possibility of water once existing on Mars, and with every new clue that possibility is becoming more of a fact. I bet you when they finally do find water on Mars, most people will just brush it off with "Oh, we knew that already". No, we did not, it was only highly speculated. Personally I'm very excited about every little finding they make, and the fact that they have the technology and knowledge to do it. It makes me proud and hell, I'm not even from US.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread...

ATS: "Slam-dunk" 100% proof that water used to flow on Mars

Thanks

closed

new topics

top topics

join