It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invest your money in Gold,Art...or Pork Ham!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
It's a new fashion,as I heard, to invest the money in Very expensive Pork Ham.
I think the world is going mad.Gold,Art works...Ham?

TextWorld’s Most Expensive Ham Costs $2,942 (USD) Iberico ham began selling in London for £1,800 for a 15-pound leg joint. It’s the world’s most expensive pork, raised in western Spain and delivered in luxurious conditions: The pigs were fed on a diet of acorns and roots to give the ham a distinctive flavour. After being slaughtered their ham was salted and cured for three years, before going on sale in a hand-made wooden box wrapped in an apron made by a Spanish tailor.
source(www.worldsstrangest.com...

source(www.worldsstrangest.com...

10 pieces 30,000 $.

Would you invest in something like this?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

That is pretty crazy!

Considering how we feel that a food shortage will come... And since I'm already in TX, and there is no laws or limits that I am aware of for wild hogs... Hmmm

Wooden box ya say? 3 grand each, abouts? 3 years worth of curing.. And we have TONS of acorns and nuts...

You might be on to something!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

That is pretty crazy!

Considering how we feel that a food shortage will come... And since I'm already in TX, and there is no laws or limits that I am aware of for wild hogs... Hmmm

Wooden box ya say? 3 grand each, abouts? 3 years worth of curing.. And we have TONS of acorns and nuts...

You might be on to something!
I am thinking if they keep the ham into a bank!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Really,do you think export?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Hell, if they can do it, and I'm sure there are americans buying some of it.... Why not!

Though, that's alot of hog killin. But still, easy, worry free killin.

Figure, 100 hogs = 400 legs (the other parts can be sold to whoever or stored in the fridge for later consumption)

Hmm you could probably put down 100 hogs in 2 weeks if you stay active with it. Traps and tracking combined, it should come off without a hitch.

Now.. Lots and lots of salt. This isnt that bad. Salt is cheep around here. It's taken right out of the ground all along the Gulf here.

so 400 legs @ say 2k per after 3 years = Thats a wopping 80 grand!!!

Its crazy... We have wild hogs comming out of the woodworks here. They're problematic for many farmers, so much so that there is no law nor limit to how many you kill. In some parts of Texas and Louisiana, there are so many, that if you sat on your back poarch killing 10 per day every day for a year, you would still be overrunned by years end.

The problem is, pigs can change between being feral and not. They're like a cat. Throw them outside, they'll grow tusks and hair and live wild. You can take a perfectly tame pig, turn him loose in the wild, and 5 years later, that same pig/bore will maul you to death upon sight.

Acorns... I think the native tree in the southern states are acorn barring oak trees. They're just as plentiful as pigs.. lol probably more so!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Yes but now days,if there will come a big Famine,I really don't know if will work!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I dunno brother. I'm pretty sure you could live on 1 leg for at least a few days. If it's cured, it'll last quite a long time. Id have bags of jerky already made if I was looking out for the bad years. I'd have tons of dried meats, plenty of seeds like kidney beans, black eye beans, the beans that take little to no efford to grow.

If I had 1 month of preperation, I think I would have a full years supply of food and water stored away for long term, while at least a few months worth of perishables that I could run through before touching my stored, cured foods.

One thing I did keep ALOT of when Katrina and Rita happened to us. Canned water and cases and cases of MRE's. People will pay you to pick up MRE's (just kidding but barely) after they no longer have a need for them. Some people cant stomach them, while some like me, find them quite tastey. Especially the old army MRE's. Those were the bomb!

So this idea of putting your money in pork isnt really that bad of an idea. Its basicly the same thing as putting up food for the winter.. or food for war/starvation. It would be a really good idea to have something like this on hand, that lasts for a very long while without refridgeration. I just wouldnt pay that much for it. Pork here is just as cheep as chicken if not cheeper. If you go out and get it yourself, it's virtually free. Im not a big fan of pork, but i'll never turn down a bite of anything on an empty stomach.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
But cheap and go long!

youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Those were good times,just look ahead ,and tell me what do you see?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
well, one things for sure. you can't blame us jews for this one.
sorry, couldn't resist.
maybe it's kosher ham?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
sorry, couldn't resist.
maybe it's kosher ham?
Shalom brother,nobody is blaming no one for nothing,as about kosher ham...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

sorry, couldn't resist.
maybe it's kosher ham?

heh, lol.

seriously though, people are still investing in high priced real estate.
i have one friend who invests in old american steel. mostly muscle cars.
i love um' don't get me wrong, but the prices are high, if the economy gets worse he'll lose his ass.
edit on 10-12-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

sorry, couldn't resist.
maybe it's kosher ham?

heh, lol.

seriously though, people are still investing in high priced real estate.
i have one friend who invests in old american steel. mostly muscle cars.
i love um' don't get me wrong, but the prices are high, if the economy gets worse he'll lose his ass.
edit on 10-12-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)
And the gas....Will go lost like the food in the future!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have invested in pigs...pork/ham. I have 2 hogs...a boar and a sow that is pregnant and will hopefully provide between 8-12 piglets come spring.

I have 5 more small pigs...one which will become a suckling pig very soon.

The hams actually are the two hind legs, so you will get only two per hog... the front legs or shoulders are called pic nic hams... less fleshy and fat, with more grissel....

The hams are preferred because they are very meaty and if raised right very fat and marbled with fat... despite what people have heard, fat is important for flavor and for keeping the ham moist after the curing process.

The process is labor intensive, yet simple, and takes approximately about 2-3 months to complete in order for the curing to finish over a period of months/ years.

Basically, pick a very cold day... usually around Xmas or New Years and after the hog is killed, you cut off the hams...this is so easily said, but is a full day of work just butchering a hog.... anyway, you take the hams...have a shed or a smoke house or curing house that is up off the ground and relatively secure.... set the hams up on a table or very wide work shelf...a scrap piece of plywood up on saw horses works well...anyway, lay the hams down, cut shoulder side up and literally cover the entire hams in salt...this may take 30-50 lbs of salt. It is a good idea to fix the plywood/saw horse table almost like a sand box so as not to waste the salt...gently rub it into the meat, literally massage the salt into the meat.. all the cut areas, skin, edges...all over...then pile the salt onto the ham and cover with either an old pillow case or cheese cloth or sheet and leave. The important things to note is air flow and cold temps... I suggest looking at old smoke houses or curing houses as set up in the old south on farms and farm complexes...it would be a good idea to cover any openings with screen or cover the hams lightly with cloth so as to keep out any insects... and up off the floor/ ground to keep away possums, raccoons, scavengers...

Next day... go in to the smoke house and rub the salt into the hams again... gently...just like rubbing a baby with powders...again, emphasizing the cut shoulder and hock areas...there will be no skin there and so the salt soaks in faster...

do this every day for a month...usually I do it at new Years and cure the hams beginning of January...easy to keep up with...

Come the second month...wash the ham gently, cover with salt...repeating the above process once a week...always leaving the hams completely immersed in salt.

The reason the salt is important is that it forces out moisture...moisture is needed to keep bacteria alive... no moisture...no bacteria..no rotting of meat. The salt is also drawn into the flesh/meat...preserving the meat.

At the end of the secon month, gently wash the hams...just like a baby. Then dry carefully and completely...hanging in the air for a short while to dry. Then coat them heavily with a mixture of salt, ground or crushed red cayenne pepper, black pepper, and borax...yup, 40 Mule Team Borax works great..it is a natural mineral that is usually used to clean and wash clothes with... the above coating mixture ensures preservation and keeps out the "skippers"...fly larvae...maggots.

After coating the hams down with this mixture, gently wrap with wax paper, and insert into a cotton sleeve or bag...old pillow cases sewn to fit work great. then hang in the rafters of the shed, smokehouse, or curing house. Good airflow is essential... and a shed out of the sun and in the shade would be very useful.

After that... periodically check to make sure all is well... about 6-9 months later, the ham is fully cured.

Here is the secret... let the ham age, just like a wine or cheese. Over time, the ham will start to be covered with a light film of mold.. this sounds gross, but like cheese..it adds a significant flavor to the ham. Here in NC, Va, or all of the south, an aged ham is highly prized and often sold at auctions, raffles, and fund raisers. A ham that is 3 or so years old has a very distinct and rich flavor that ...well, damn good.

I know all of this to be true, because I do this... have done it for several years and learned it from my daddy and from notes from the FoxFire series of books. There was a time when a man's wealth and well being was represented by the hams hanging in his smoke house... and a fine ham maker was well known and in much demand. A good country ham of this sort can bring 5.00 a lb or better... and consider that on home raised hogs a single ham may weigh over 50lbs when cured... I am talking about hogs weighing about 500lbs and can stand 6 ft at time of butchering and a dressed fresh ham may weigh over 100 lbs.

The only drawback is salt...too much and your blood pressure shoots up, so soak it before cooking it. Fry and serve with big ol' fresh bisquits, red eye gravy, and grits... enjoy.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Very interesting recipe,what kind of wood you use to smoke the ham?And the smoked ham is good for heart?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Ham (pork) is the other other white meat.. but it's not very good for anything other than flavor
Like all fatty meats, it's not very healthy. Refrigeration helped a bit with some of the issues that caused problems with pork back in the old days, but it still clogs up your arteries and can cause heart and stroke problems.

Yet, everything in moderation!

Best wood I think... Hickory 1st, maybe Oak. There is something about oak flavor I cant resist in meats. Hickory is a fave but it gets old sometimes. Everything is artificially flavored with hickory these days, so it gets old. The flavor isnt the same, but the simblance is.

Id pick my favorite parts, but there is so much about a pig that I like (eating wise)

Tripe... Skin (!!!!!Cracklins!!!!!), chops, bone in ham, SAUSAGE! Other than that, the only other thing I know whats good about a pig is bacon. Yet, all of these will turn my stomach if I eat more than a small portion, and I love this stuff, it just doesnt settle very well.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

You see it's a question of balance,today is hunger,the same piece of meat that costs for some 10$,for other costs1000$.

top topics

join