It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning of Double Major Storms For UK Next Week - In Depth Analysis (Be Prepared)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I think you'll find the majority in "category A" are people who live in the UK and probably see this 'prediction' as likely as half the others on the website. Of course it's safe and wise to be prepared, but seriously - a category 3 hurricane in London? Seaside communities are the most at risk, and to be fair even a slight breeze can produce 30 foot waves so I'm sure they're used to it.

Nowhere I've noticed of our mainstream weather forecasting systems have said there is anything more than gales approaching. People in "category b" have every right to be concerned, but this thread seems to point out to them they're going to experience something they've never experienced before, but they most certainly have.

Like others have said, this about the UK - we're all pretty adept to the weather we get, and it is never, ever massively life threatening. I'm interested in the weather and will of course be interested to see just how gusty it gets, but at the same time this thread has interested me in fearmongering over something that, if no-one had mentioned, would've passed and been forgotten about very quickly

Mine and others opinions are just that - opinions. And this being an internet forum, we're all allowed one of those.
That said, thank you to those who replied to my opinions in such a mature manner.
edit on 11-12-2011 by markymint because: info

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by silverfoxman

Absolutely right............I dont even live in the UK....

Case in point, look at those who didnt take the warnings about katrina seriously.......

All that skepticism of its ferocity sure went down the drain pretty quick....no pun intended

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by markymint
Nowhere I've noticed of our mainstream weather forecasting systems have said there is anything more than gales approaching.

Here you go: www.bbc.co.uk...

The Met Office will be on message in a big way about the Friday storm as the day approaches.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by markymint

Well we could have the equivelent of a category 3 hurricane, it means that
the winds would be from 100 -130 mph, which was what happened in Scotland.
The met office are saying we are in for more of the same and maybe worse
on Friday although they don't put up warnings this far ahead. They are calling
them 'severe gales' at this stage.

Jrmcleod is only offering a warning like the met do, except he's doing it
a few days earlier. I'm sure you don't see the met office warnings as 'fearmongering.' I'ts just
their job and they realise that things might not be so bad but they have to do it.
People are free to heed the warnings, or not as the case may be.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL
So it's really nice to known that not one, but two very severe wind storms are predicted on ATS for the next week. This absolutely guarantees there will be no more strong wind for the rest of this week. After all, if it is predicted on ATS, it by definition won't happen.

It's not ATS or anyone on ATS that are predicting them
It's the UK Met Office - and indeed, model output from other meteorological agencies around the world.

The Met Office have had warnings out for Tuesday's storm since Friday. Warnings for Friday will be issued either today or tomorrow.

This morning's output suggests the worst winds on Tuesday will be over N Ireland.

Friday's storm continues to look very potent with the low tracking across southern Scotland and bring the most destructive winds across northern England.

There obviously will not be a hurricane - but hurricane strength winds are quite possible (as was the case last Thursday in Scotland). And such winds, hitting places that do not normally experience them, coupled with wet ground from the rain we're expecting over the coming days, will mean a high risk of trees being downed as well as structural damage to buildings.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
More news from another weather source.

Although still a way off, concern is already rising over the potential impact of not one but two storms that may hit Britain and Ireland next week. The first storm early in the week looks set to bring gales or severe gales to many areas, but the second storm late next week could potentially bring storm force winds. There is still a lot of uncertainty over the timing and track of these storm systems, but we will keep you updated.

metcheck.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
btw for those who scoff at warnings for a little bit of wind, just bear in mind that the Burns Day Storm killed 47 people in Britain

And Friday's storm is currently looking very similar, though hopefully it will prove not to be nearly as bad.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by markymint

Do you remember 87?

That may not of been a Cat 3 Hurricane but it was pretty damn destructive. I was 9 and living in London. My bedroom window cracked, it was lucky it didn't cave in. Some very old, very big trees on the streets were downed onto cars and houses, roofs were destroyed. My primary school lost 1/2 it's roof. It was a huge old building. I remember scaffolding and workers being there for a good few months aftewards.

This storm may or may not be as powerful as that night years ago. It may even pass us. But London can be just as much at risk from severe winds.

edit on 11-12-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
It seems the OP is right.
Dutch media predicts storms for Tuesday and Friday.
frontpage.fok.nl...
Use translate.google.com... for translation.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
i'm writing this on my phone so i apologise in advance for any predictive text errors. Kudos to the OP for his post and for his Scotland warning last week, which i posted on my FB account. I live in Essex and work in London, if it wasn't for ATS and my friends in Scotland posting on FB then i wouldn't have known about the severity of the storm as it wasn't properly reported here.
To the people saying "lighten up, its just a bit of wind" etc, it may be a "bit of wind" but people die in lesser weather hereand this has the potential to be devastating, especially if it falis over low lying built up area like this one could. I would suggest warning friends and relatives if they live in the effective areas just in case it does come to fruition.

I was 5 during the 87 hurricane, living in Dagenham, Essex. I don't remember being scared or anything, but i remember the storm occuring overnight and in the morning our neighbours chimney and many roof tiles were in our garden and our garage door was missing, which my dad later found down the road 2 blocks away. For those of you not familiar with the area, its a little town on the outskirts of London, not near a coast or anything but still quite urban. If this hits inner London which is more close together than Dagenham then the damage done will be incredible, if it hits anywhere it could be ferocious.

I'd also like to mention making sure your dogs and cats have collars on and an address tag in case gates or doors are blown off and pets escape. This would ensure they are returned safe to you, i volunteer in an animal shelter, we get many animals in that are found outside without collars d are assumed to be and treated as strays by council authorities.

Stay safe, wherever you are, and blessed be!

Winter is coming!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Thanks for the tips!

To those who are moaning about this not being a conspiracy, I would just mention this. These storms are hardly mentioned on the mainstream media (perhaps as the situation is still so volatile), but believe it or not, I use ATS as a means of hearing about things before they become mainstream.
Yes UK weather is not a severe as Alaska, but that comes down to what you are used to, and to be forwarned is to be forarmed.

Also thanks to another post on here I have downloaded the UGRIB software, which seems really great - thanks to whoever posted that.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Micheal Fish's storm? I was 3 then, but in the early 90's there was a big storm (must've been the Burns Day Storm) that had some tiles off, and I remember my parents banning me from going outside. But perhaps it's because of that time, ever since then, I've wanted freedom to walk around in gale force winds. Yet sadly, since the early 90's, the part of the UK I'm from has never had anything of the sort, not even close. I can't speak for the whole of the UK, nor do I have a problem with this info. I'm just speaking about where I'm from - Oxfordshire, where sod all ever happens with the weather

Case in point - papers and news channels hyped up this storm that, although it had an effect on coastal towns, didn't even make it inland back in 2008 despite the weather warnings that the "whole of the UK" would be affected. I just feel mainstream media embelish their descriptions. You won't find all the flowery wording on the Met Office site itself

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

No they were not.

The footage clearly shows which I posted they were not turned off.

So once again wrong and misleading.

As to your other post, rather than repeating myself. I will reply to you in this comment.

Was I referring to the OP?

No I was not I was referring to another member who was fear mongering so, one get your own facts right before your jump in heads first.

Only people I can see here on there high horses is you and your other half.

As for preparation.

The Scots will cope we do not need anyone else to worry.

The Sottish People have been through worse. And we have survived.

edit on 11-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

We have this kind of weather in Scotland all the time for goodness sake. Ever watch the Scottish Weather Forecasts in the evening times.

Negativity? Where is the negativity? I am just pointing out the Scots are used to this kind of weather. Nothing new there.

Omg end of the world we are getting hit by a storm.

Newsflash, the Scots have been through worse before and survived, what males you think they wont survive this one>?

Will be called another hurricane bawbag by many that is for sure.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I find it strange that you seem to have made yourself the speaker for all Scottish people.

I'm sure any Scots who have roofs and windows ruined or trees uprooted onto their homes will feel real happy and will be as amused as you are.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sueloujo

That is what I have been trying to point out, and instead of saying yeah we know Scotland, gets a lot of bad weather, the rest attack for no reason what so ever. And I am accused of being a troll.

Been here longer than a lot to know what a Troll is and I am not certainly one of them.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

I am just going by what others in Scotland have been saying via the TV and on the Radio etc, as well as those who live where I live in Edinburgh.

Yes there was damage. But Scotland is used to it. We are hit by bad weather all the time.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by Laurauk

I find it strange that you seem to have made yourself the speaker for all Scottish people.

I'm sure any Scots who have roofs and windows ruined or trees uprooted onto their homes will feel real happy and will be as amused as you are.

Most Scots aren't neurotic moaners like this one. I'm just ignoring it from now on.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join