It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning of Double Major Storms For UK Next Week - In Depth Analysis (Be Prepared)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by vschnz

1) It is unusual for the UK

2) We Brits like to talk about the weather, see no. 1

3) All the members who want to talk about this aren't on weather forums together, so we are doing it here, obviously with the blessing of the staff or the thread would have been 404'ed long ago.

4) Go be rude somewhere else.

To everybody else, I'll be participating in this thread soon(ish),bit busy at the moment.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I don't think my Ford Focus is equipped to survive hurricane force winds and no one is offering a loan of their storm chaser vehicle,so If the forecast is bad, I am going to do the sensible thing and wait for it to pass before travelling!
I have been back and fore to Wick from London for 22 years and have a healthy respect for the changeable weather conditions which all too often catch a lot out of people out

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

ha ha ! Do you know what rude mean?? Dont think so! Just realistic and honest!!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by vschnz
I will see you all next week!! Cant wait to see on the news, the 5 falling trees, the 8 lorrys overturn on the motorway! and the thousands of school shut for a few days!!Maybe Brits should try to live in Alaska in the winter for a few months! Or in florida during the Hurricane season! In the Alps when the temperature fall to minus 30 in the morning and YOU got to go to work and YOUR kid GOT to go to school!! Come on Brits,Get a grip!! I've said it before, you live in northern Europe and should be ready for some winter storms!! (And ATS is a conspiracy site,not a weather forum)

No-one mentioned in this thread about doom and gloom about not being here next week. Geez, you sound like LauraUK brining that Negativity of fear mongering to the discussion.

The OP [ if you had read it ] is to make people aware in the UK of a storm that has been and is currently under way. People in the UK [myself included] dont experience such profound weather, the weather here recently has been pretty bad to be honest and completely out of the norm.

Now, do you live in the UK? If not then Shhhh it because you negativity is not wanted. If so, then prepare

We ARE ready for winter storms however this coming storm is a heads up for ALL to be even more prepared for.

Be safe be well

Spiro
edit on 10-12-2011 by Spiro because: typo

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I am DEFINITELY not looking forward to going to work on Friday, if it is going to be as bad as you say, I drive for a living and have a high-sided vehicle, but as I am self-employed, it is either drive or lose money, and possibly my only contract.
I will have to be very careful, hope nobody has any tragedy befall them.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

reply to post by woogleuk

ha ha ! Do you know what rude mean?? Dont think so! Just realistic and honest!!

We have EQ thread, a volcano thread, and many more factual threads...this is a passing weather thread.
not everything on ATS is a conspiracy.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by royspeed

Oh Roy,
I can understand your predicament...wont go into details here...just hope your 'contract' can see common sense and keep you safe.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Yeah, you've had your say now leave it be. This guy has posted factual information, your opinion is irrelevant unless you're a meteorologist.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by jrmcleod

Scotland's been through worse before, stop getting your boxers in a twist.

We have survived before we will survive this.

They dont call Scots hardnuts for nothing you know.
edit on 10-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

Laurauk, please re-read the OP. This isn't about Scotland surviving, the main point in this thread is to warn people in England. They will bear the brunt of this, especially those in the South of England. They aren't so used to this weather and when your facing the possibility of a force 3 hurricane, it is dangerous!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackieO
Thanks for the warning,I am supposed to be driving from London to Wick (nearly the whole length of the uk) on Friday 16th to spend some time with my family and may have to reconsider this journey if the weather is going to be as bad as you think.
I got caught in blizzard conditions one year and swore I would never do it again. Scared the living daylights out of me

I wouldnt be overly concerned about snow...at the moment. There is suggestion that there could be a leading edge of snow, but at present that is heresay. Your danger will be travelling on the roads alongside high sided vehicles.

Unfortunately there is no ability to precisely time the storm yet, so it could hit its peak when were sleeping or like this week, when were all going about our daily lives.

Keep up to date with the thread for updates. Watch the news and keep up to date with the MetO updates before you change any plans. Things are always subject to change!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hi folks .
As we know , weather patterns can change quickly , so lets hope this is the case this time .
Everybody have a great weekend , try not to worry and keep checking for updates .

Terry

EDIT
Great work again , Jamie .

S+F
edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well I for one will be following this thread as I did the last one. I have already been notified by our local weather people to expect this to hit my part of the world Wednesday and that things do not look good at all. Already batterned down hatches and tomorrow getting the chickens and rabbits ready. We have lots of big tree lining small roads and of cause, the sea. The tidal rivers are just about over in several places after the Scotland storm.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
reply to post by mel1962

That was an interesting article mel62, I hope you don't mind me quoting some of it.

Weather expert Tim Ballisty, a meteorologist at weather.com, said: “There are two main computer models that we use to forecast the weather and both are showing an intense area of low pressure that will swing in across the North Atlantic on Monday, last all day Tuesday and into Wednesday.”

Mr Ballisty described how the huge weather system will “stall out” over the UK and the forecasts show the area of low pressure, that brings severe winds and rain, will deepen and intensify across the whole of the UK and across to the west coast of France.

He explained: “What is interesting about this next storm is that the huge weather system that slammed into Scotland on Thursday was very constrained, its damage was limited to Scotland.

“However, next week’s storm looks likely to cover the whole of the UK, it is tremendously wide and has a much broader scope to it.

“The winds may not be nudging 150mph again but it will certainly produce the same destructive power as Thursday’s storm.”

Mr Ballisty said the forecasts showed the massive storm will arrive late on Monday with heavy rain across most parts of the country, followed by a very cold air mass, which will trigger sleet and snow.

The hurricane-force winds of at least 74mph will last through the whole of Tuesday and into Wednesday.

And Jonathan Powell of Positive Weather Solutions, who accurately warned of the huge scale of Thursday’s storm earlier in the week, said they also had picked up the aggressive new storm in the Atlantic.

He told the ClickGreen website: “This storm will affect the entire nation, Monday will be a complete wash-out and whereas Scotland took the last storm on the chin – this will hit the whole of the country square-on.”

www.thisisdevon.co.uk...

I think it's interesting how these meteorologists must have the data for friday too but are holding it back, like the met office does. Is there a policy in place that means the government don't want people warning until it's only a day or two before it happens?

Also interesting that these guys say it could cover the whole country not just one smal area.

edit on 10-12-2011 by DrHammondStoat because: ...

Not so much a policy, i think its more the unpredictability factor that prevents them from publishing warnings so far in advance. Scenario being that the issue a weather alert for Friday and nothing comes of the weather. It could cost the UK money in preparedness and the credibility of the MetO would be shot a bit.

I'd imagine they will issue warnings for Friday on Monday or Tuesday!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My own opinion is that the storm we just had was not as bad as the media made out all during the day telling people to stay in. I drove between Edinburgh and Glasgow all through the supposed worst of it and I didn't see anything particulary bad.

Having said that it was very windy and I don't remember getting any fore warning of it until the night before from the media.

I have a car porch with a plastic roof and would have put money on it being blown off, but it wasn't. It did plenty of flexing up and down but it's still there.

It's very helpful to get ample warning of events like this so that I can have time to prepare, I might put some sand bags on the roof to hold it down.

So I appreciate the OP for posting about this.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinthia
OK, i'll buy it, i'm in the midlands UK, what do I do? How exactly can I prepare or prevent the storm from damaging my roof?

Unfortunately there is little you can do to prevent your roof being damaged, but you can limit potential damage or danger. For instance, if you have trees in your garden, make sure dead wood branches are cut off. Tie down trampolines, Dont park your vehicle under trees or potential debris. make sue your windows are locked and doors closed tightly.

make sure you have torches ready incase of power outages and warm blankets. Make sure you have batteries and power in your mobile.

Its the little things that can be done that can make your experience more comfortable. If you live in a low laying area prone to flooding, make sure you have sandbags ready just incase!

You can never be over prepared!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I will see you all next week!! Cant wait to see on the news, the 5 falling trees, the 8 lorrys overturn on the motorway! and the thousands of school shut for a few days!!Maybe Brits should try to live in Alaska in the winter for a few months! Or in florida during the Hurricane season! In the Alps when the temperature fall to minus 30 in the morning and YOU got to go to work and YOUR kid GOT to go to school!! Come on Brits,Get a grip!! I've said it before, you live in northern Europe and should be ready for some winter storms!! (And ATS is a conspiracy site,not a weather forum)

Judging by some of the content on ATS you could argue that ATS isn't a joke site either! This thread is to warn people, not anything else. If you don't like that, go look at another thread or create a thread about how "creating a weather related warning thread is bad for ATS".

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Currently browsing some of my usual haunts after a day of Christmas shopping. I thought the mood would have changed somewhat in the weather community, but infact it has worsened. I have been a member of certain forums for many years, some of the members work for the MetO and other companies and are experts in their field. The comment below stuck out the most and rings true with trying to get the message across.

If the second of the two major storms comes off as per any consensus of major models, there will be widespread damage. The casualty toll is something that we can help reduce by responsible discussion although obviously the Met Office and the media have a better chance of getting the attention of the public -- still, when people hear about these storms coming, they may become new lurkers here. And to any such people, I would say, take any warnings very seriously with these storms, the upper pattern is volatile, to get right down to basics you have a tight jet stream interacting with a very strong gradient of ocean temperatures (colder than normal to west and staying rather warm to south) -- all the factors one expects to be associated with major or devastating storms in the UK and Ireland.

Would say at present that Monday-Tuesday storm has 70-80 knot wind gust potential and the Thursday-Friday beast, if it comes off as depicted, could be very severe (I'll say 100+) and not just in isolated hilly places but across populated areas of the south and central regions of England. Let's hope, basically, that the models have the second storm wrong, because nobody wants to see this verify except a few disturbed weather freaks

edit on 10/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
............and here's Tom with the weather..

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just on a point worth mentioning. If any of you live in Cenral London or within a stones throw of the Thames, please be aware that the Thames Barrier will most likely be activated if Fridays storm verifys. As with the Novemebr 9th 1997 incodent, people may be evacuated as a precaution so be prepared to move if needed!

London may experience something similar or worse than Glasgow with a phenomena known as tidal blocking. This is a situation where the water cant flow out of the river because of the high tide. There is the possibility of Tidal Blocking in London that could in effect, "back-up" the Thames.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
All I can say is, thanks for the heads up sir. After reading your thread about the last storm, I told some friends about it and they were slightly dismissive until they saw it on the news. I'm not looking forward to it but at least I'll be prepared. S&F my friend and thank you again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join