It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning of Double Major Storms For UK Next Week - In Depth Analysis (Be Prepared)

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Seems the pressure at the buoy №64045 is 957 mbar and dropping. And so far Britwarrior looks to be right, the yr.no animation shows it coming from North West and spinning up nicely in this smooth animation but so far it has yet to move inland. Though that squall line / trough band on radar looks mean. I would say it is moving eastwards and bringing with it strong gusty winds at least. The Norwegian Meteobureau has issued a warning of Thundersnow! and heavy winds over Southern Norway. (parts where I used to live) Use GTranslate on the article.

I wonder what the Dutch weather services are saying about this storm. I do know that the Russians are preparing to raise The Saint Petersburg Flood Prevention Facility Complex in St. Petersburg when the storm arrives. Newly built and protects the city from the river Neva's flooding.

The buoy pressure has reached 956 mbar and the graph can't display anything lower. Still that would make it 717.05 mmHg which is just ten mmHg above my record low pressure. How are you all holding up out there? I wonder how the sunrise and the Sun's day energy will affect this storm.
edit on 12/12/2011 by RumET because: Added a little more buoy data and comparison.

edit on 12/12/2011 by RumET because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This is getting weird. Every night now for the past two weeks we've had flash lightning between 2am and 4am, always in the same place, same direction. It's happening right now looking over the south of Glasgow. (It could have been going on for longer but I moved my chair nearer the window two weeks ago) There's never any thunder accompanying it, just ferocious storms on the odd night, coming from out of nowhere and lasting anything up to an hour. It's annoying more than anything, knowing that it's possibly man made.

edit on 12-12-2011 by Ramcheck because: fixed typo

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

It's actually wrong that Michael Fish had anything to do with the wrong forecast in 1987.

When he said there was going to be no hurricane, he was actually referring to Florida, which was correct, but thanks to dodgy editing by the BBC, people assumed he meant Britain.

He wasn't even on duty the night of the storm, it was Bill Giles.

However, the real fault apparently was thanks to the French, there was a strike by their meteorologists, so no data came from the Bay of Biscay where the storm originated, so the Met Office computers couldn't produce an accurate forecast.
edit on 12/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
That's bizarre. My landing window faces directly south and I'm on pretty high ground so I went to have a look but the sky's pretty clear at the minute and not much is happening. I'll keep this in mind for tomorrow night and take a look then.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by dr treg

It's actually wrong that Michael Fish had anything to do with the wrong forecast in 1987.

When he said there was going to be no hurricane, he was actually referring to Florida, which was correct, but thanks to dodgy editing by the BBC, people assumed he meant Britain.

He wasn't even on duty the night of the storm, it was Bill Giles.

However, the real fault apparently was thanks to the French, there was a strike by their meteorologists, so no data came from the Bay of Biscay where the storm originated, so the Met Office computers couldn't produce an accurate forecast.

Wrong on many fronts!

Michael Fish did indeed get it wrong, he was a met office spokesman and forecaster, the Florida link is wrong!.......Mr Fish was wrong!......as was the met office.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeo
That's bizarre. My landing window faces directly south and I'm on pretty high ground so I went to have a look but the sky's pretty clear at the minute and not much is happening. I'll keep this in mind for tomorrow night and take a look then.

That's the other thing I meant to add, the sky is always very clear when this lightning comes along, Well as clear as it gets here, all I can see is Jupiter at the moment heading west which is normal for this time.

There were three strikes in the past hour, there hasn't been one for about 25 minutes now.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Mate, he was referring to the Florida hurricane, it just got mish mashed and he ended up getting the blame, which wasn't the case. A quick google search and you will find the real story.

EDIT: Here, I've done some of it for you

Michael Fish's famous line that there wouldn't be a hurricane was actually correct. He was referring to a tropical cyclone in the West Atlantic.

Source

"I wasn't even on duty that night, it was Bill Giles," he explains, referring to one of his colleagues, "so I cannot claim any responsibility whatsoever." Mr Giles was on the afternoon/evening shift and Ian McCaskill was on the night shift, he recalls. "Those were the only two people involved and not me at all. I came in the next morning at 0430 to do Breakfast News and the morning broadcasts."

Source

Plenty more on the subject out there also.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RumET

Yup she's looking great

The temp has been rising quite quickly tonight/morning temp is now reading 12.1°C from 8°C monday night, this is getting dragged up from Spain and feeding up to in front of the storm, while to the north & west of the eye, its dragging down some very cold air all while out over the Atlantic, to my knowledge this only feeds & strengthens a storm, which is possibly why we are seeing this thing wrap up so tightly?

As i said i have a basic understanding, i hope one of our experts is still up to explain things abit better,

Luckily my boss has gone on holiday for 3 weeks to Mexico
meaning i'm off to, i'm quite enjoying following this thing as i rarely get the chance to keep such a close eye on these things anymore,

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck

That's the other thing I meant to add, the sky is always very clear when this lightning comes along, Well as clear as it gets here, all I can see is Jupiter at the moment heading west which is normal for this time.

There were three strikes in the past hour, there hasn't been one for about 25 minutes now.

Check here

Lightning UKMO ATD

edit on 12-12-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Although Fish says he was referring to the Florida Hurricane his comments have led to the term the "Michael effect".

This term has been coined, whereby British weathermen are now inclined to predict "a worst-case scenario in order to avoid being caught out" i.e. exaggeration and the UK public are aware of this sad behavior.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR

Check here

Lightning UKMO ATD

Yeah that's a subscription service isn't it? I'm not that desperate.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Wind is just starting to pick up here in Glasgow, nothing wild but but certainly windier that the norm.
But in all this possible mayhem, have just discovered a friend on my FB can sing, might help through bad weather www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Check here

Lightning UKMO ATD

Yeah that's a subscription service isn't it? I'm not that desperate.

Umm no

Its totally free, all you have to do is click the link and look for the lightening strikes close to where you think you see them

www.ukweatherworld.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Quite high winds and lots of Rain/Hail here in Bodmin, Cornwall.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

And I've missed every single one! I've been going to check every so often since I read your post. I'll keep an eye on it though, I've got a clear view right down to the Cathkin Braes.

Weatherwise, it's all gone quiet here but it did that earlier for a short while then blew right back up again. Actually, as I've been typing this post the wind's started back up.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Can't sleep and just went outside for a cigarette with my brolly, thought "this isn't too windy" walked to the end of the path and a massive gust blew my 'new' brolly inside out FAIL

South England
3:37am
Wet, windy and p*ssed off.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numpty1
Wind is just starting to pick up here in Glasgow, nothing wild but but certainly windier that the norm.
But in all this possible mayhem, have just discovered a friend on my FB can sing, might help through bad weather www.youtube.com...

Off-topic but your friend's got a really lovely voice. The song's pretty good too.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozvaldo
Can't sleep and just went outside for a cigarette with my brolly, thought "this isn't too windy" walked to the end of the path and a massive gust blew my 'new' brolly inside out FAIL

South England
3:37am
Wet, windy and p*ssed off.

Haha I got myself what was described as a 'typhoon umbrella' off Amazon -- a good strong gust will still turn it inside out but the reinforced spokes stop it from snapping altogether. It's a sturdy wee number.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Amadeo

She has, was blown away. She kept it hidden.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by JessopJessopJessop

Originally posted by RMFX1
reply to post by TiocfaidhArLa

OK, finally something credible from BBC. Just posted.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Severe weather warning, but again..not unusual for this time of year.

You realise the BBC are giving you weather warnings based on the data posted in the thread? It's no more credible than what the OP has been posted.

He doesn't get it does he

I tried to tell him were using the same chart his trusty BBC weatherman does but he seems to think were making these models up in photoshop,

This has got to be the biggest facepalm i have ever done on these forums, congrats RMFX1

Oh and @ RMFX1 please feel free to point out where the OP stated Monday & Tuesday Storm as

unusual for this time of year.

As far as i can see NOBODY has EVER said these storms are unusual for this time of year. because we all no very well that they are very very common for this time of year, only Fridays storm would have been unusual for this time of year. because nobody has ever seen such a storm on FI charts,

Read the thread title...

Advanced Warning of Double Major Storms For UK Next Week - In Depth Analysis (Be Prepared)

I don't see unusual for this time of year in the OPs title, and guess what? it was a warning you last week of a warning you JUST GOT from the BBC AS ITS HAPPENING right now, so the OP has be BANG ON TWICE NOW,

Bahh fear mongering

i did another facepalm

You're the one that isn't getting it. I know that you are using the same charts. What I also know is that your knowledge of interpreting them and predicting how things will develop over the course of 5 days is amature at best. In other words, not worth paying attention to at all.

Luton an hour and 45 minutes ago.

Observed at 05:00, Tuesday 13 December

White Cloud

10°C

16mph South Westerly

Humidity: 85%

Visibility: Excellent

Pressure: 984mb, Falling

WOW!

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>