It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning of Double Major Storms For UK Next Week - In Depth Analysis (Be Prepared)

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
For those of you in the Central SW of England, please see the image below depicting a line of convective showers that have the potential to bring thunderstorms and tornado's as per the TORRO advisory (courtesy of a member at Netweather.tv). This image wa taken recently

edit on 12/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Pressure here at last observation was 977hPa and falling, and the winds back, there was a sustained heavy gust for about 10 seconds that roared down the chimney and made "her" pause her CSI and look at me in suprise, must have been noisy

EDIT: To say, I have got headphones on listening to pink floyd in an attempt to drown out the crap on the telly, but I felt the gust vibrating stuff.....
edit on 12/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
It always amazes me in these situations that we get all the macho types chipping in with their derisory comments.
Really, we don't care if you want to shrug it off and go fly a kite in your mankini in the midst of a winter storm to prove how tough you are.

There is a middle ground, it's not a matter of being mental about some bad weather OR being clinically insane. People can actually be level-headed and sensible.

I'm sure if it's bad and you suffer wind damage to your property, get flooded, your car crushed by a falling tree or a family member drowned by a flash flood, you'll just whistle a happy tune, don the shorts and t-shirt and stroll down to the shops for another six pack.

No, of course I wouldn't, but that's because it ACTUALLY AFFECTED ME!
With all the news happening in the world do you watch it all and imagine it happening to you? That's how people become clinically depressed.
Newsflash, we cannot change the weather. We cannot predict whether a tree will fall on a car or a house or just stand there through it. Accidents happen, and talking about it like it's the end of Humanity is not going to change anything.

Thing is, threads like this are a heads-up of possibly severe weather, and a warning for people so that they can take precautions. If it turns into a damp squib then great, if not then people at least know what is coming.
I know, it's just weather, but it can be a killer to those not prepared or the elderly.

There's nothing about the weather in this thread they can't already see and hear outside their window.
If I look outside and see that it's raining, I wear a coat. If I look out there and see gale force winds, I won't go outside.

I support the discussion about weather science in general, and I accept that this thread did give me a heads-up that the BBC didn't, but only of a few hours, and it hasn't prompted me to start boarding up the windows or invest in sandbags.
But what specifically irritates me is all those who jump on a simple weather event and try to make it into a massive drama. It always happens here, on every kind of subject you can imagine. And all it does is make the rest of us who do genuinely analyze and investigate interesting things look like lunatics.

It's like the threads discussing Earthquakes and Volcanic eruptions. They're fascinating and informative, but it's just a shame we get so many completely irrational people chiming in and talking about eruptions and volcanoes wiping out mankind or how this or that might kill thousands of people.

It seems to me that this place tends to be 5% sensible and interesting discussion and 95% speculation, scaremongering, drama and insanity. And it's a shame with so many intelligent people here (including the OP)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This is all making me want to invest in a personal weather station for the house because its really hard to find constantly updating info for N Ireland
Wonder if its too late to update my Christmas list...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Forget the tv, I am loving the sound of the wind roaring!
I bet I won't be feeling the same if its much worst than this at the end of the week

There seems to be a lull at the moment, I think i'm going to head up the wooden stairs to bedfordshire!
Night all and stay safe

edit on 12/12/11 by boo1981 because: spelling

edit on 12/12/11 by boo1981 because: The lull didn't last for long!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Hey, I'm here because it's informative, interesting and quite often a laugh (especially with that Jessop guy/gal).

I couldn't give a rats arse about how serious it's gonna get (maybe poorly worded), I enjoy extreme weather, just as long as no-ones hurt.

Question to the weather experts: Is there a reason the temperature seems to be rising?

edit on 12/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostMan815
This is all making me want to invest in a personal weather station for the house because its really hard to find constantly updating info for N Ireland

Funny you should say this as I have just reserved one to pick up in the morning.

Been meaning to get one for some time now, think now is the best time to do so.

Pressure is still falling here, down to 987mb.
edit on 12/12/11 by boo1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I dont mean any disrespect here but my thread was never over-hyped or fear mongering. I was presenting facts that at the time were pertinent to a potential situation that was unfolding. The "fear" that people are picking up is a natural reaction to adverse weather, be it moderate or severe.

You said that if you need to see the weather you'll look out the window to adequately prepare. Thats all well and fine and as a general rule is most often the case here in the UK but when there is an advisory out for Tornado's on a cold windy winters night then its unusual and dangerous...and not common in the UK.

There is every possibility, as witnessed in Scotland last week that there could be a tornado on the ground that could damage or kill someone so being adequatey advised of such a possibility is the right thing to do from my perspective...unfortunately the MetO or BBC wont warn you of this...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

There is an associated cold front and warm front with this storm...see WF and CF in the image below. Chances are your area is transisting into the warmer air.

The red line on the below image shows you the warm front, the blue lines are the cold front. The purple are occluded fronts. The cold or warm air sits behind the respective colours.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm in Southern, central Hampshire near the isle of wight, hope we don't get a Tornado !! It's pretty windy, with plenty of rain here. Strong gusts, few blown over bins, not much else really at the moment.

Thanks for your info and updates

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981

Originally posted by LostMan815

Funny you should say this as I have just reserved one to pick up in the morning.

Been meaning to get one for some time now, think now is the best time to do so.

Pressure is still falling here, down to 987mb.
edit on 12/12/11 by boo1981 because: (no reason given)

Yup still falling

Down from 1003mb 17.30pm to 985mb 11pm gusting up to 45mph now,

Looking at the Sat24 site
www.sat24.com...

This system is really wrapping up nicely clear eye developing now to the north west of N Ireland,

Quick question to jrmcleod...

Is it correct to assume, the longer this thing stays out over the sea the stronger this thing will get? reason being is this thing has sat over the Atlantic now for 4hours and hasn't move at all, the eye becoming more defined, i thought this thing was going to swing in & out, any ideas as to whats going on?

Maybe the LP to the north & over Europe plus the HP over Spain blocking this thing?

Also, there is a triple hook developing, any chance you could explain this?

edit on 12-12-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Its been very wet and very windy in county Dublin this evening. The last 1 or 2 hours or so have been very calm, clear skies and the moon is out as we speak. Its 12.25am here. Are we maybe in the eye of the storm? There's not even a breeze at the minute. A clear difference from earlier.

DUBLIN AIRPORT EIDW 122300Z 1300/1324 24020G32KT 9999 FEW018 BECMG 1304/1306 24025G39KT TEMPO 1307/1319 24030G45KT TEMPO 1310/1317 SCT018CB

This is the weather taken from Dublin Airport at 11pm. It says at 11pm UTC the wind was becoming 25 knots gusting to 45 to cut a long story short. Since then, here, only a few miles north there is no wind at all. There are no CB's, cumulus nimbus, bad clouds. Just a heads up.

The pressure was 977 at this time.
edit on 12/12/11 by albertfothergill because: (no reason given)

Sorry there are scattered CB's at 1800 feet.
edit on 12/12/11 by albertfothergill because: no reason

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LostMan815

Just go here

Everything that has been posted here (as informative as it is/was) has been posted there prior to it being posted here, including most, if not all the charts.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Just walked the dog down by the sea, it's windy and the waves are pretty big, I think there's a bit of a swell on. With the snow forecast for tomorrow I wish I could stay in and watch it from the comfort of my house. Unfortunately I have to leave at 7.30am (in just over 5 and a half hours) driving from Arbroath, up the East coast to Peterhead. There was no snow came with Hurricane Bawbag last week, I didn't want to see any on Friday since I was erecting scaffolding at the local football ground, which is what I'm doing in Peterhead too, gonna have my video camera in case of any wild weather!

Stay safe

zero

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by albertfothergill
Its been very wet and very windy in county Dublin this evening. The last 1 or 2 hours or so have been very calm, clear skies and the moon is out as we speak. Its 12.25am here. Are we maybe in the eye of the storm? There's not even a breeze at the minute. A clear difference from earlier.

DUBLIN AIRPORT EIDW 122300Z 1300/1324 24020G32KT 9999 FEW018 BECMG 1304/1306 24025G39KT TEMPO 1307/1319 24030G45KT TEMPO 1310/1317 SCT018CB

This is the weather taken from Dublin Airport at 11pm. It says at 11pm UTC the wind was becoming 25 knots gusting to 45 to cut a long story short. Since then, here, only a few miles north there is no wind at all. There are no CB's, cumulus nimbus, bad clouds. Just a heads up.

The pressure was 977 at this time.
edit on 12/12/11 by albertfothergill because: (no reason given)

Sorry there are scattered CB's at 1800 feet.
edit on 12/12/11 by albertfothergill because: no reason

Not yet your not, its still out in the Atlantic, North West of Ireland, as it has been for hours now,

www.sat24.com...

funny enough the winds have dropped to nothing here to in the past 30minutes?, many reports of it doing so all over the UK, its absolutely silent outside now

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

It had quietened down over an hour ago, but it's on it's way back up again, pressure has dropped to 974hPA as of 00:00

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
DUBLIN AIRPORT EIDW 130100Z 24015KT 9999 FEW019 SCT040 BKN120 06/03 Q0978 NOSIG

This is the latest Irish met office weather from Dublin airport.

It was taken at 0100 , 1am.

SHANNON AIRPORT EINN 122300Z 1300/1324 25022G35KT 9999 FEW012 SCT018CB TEMPO 1300/1324 4000 SHRAGS TSGS BKN010 BKN017CB TEMPO 1308/1318 25030G45KT

Shannon airport is close to the west coast of Ireland. Slightly rougher weather than Dublin and seems to indicate weather is moving in from the atlantic. with south west winds which makes sense from all the other models you have all been following, according to this. These are aviation weather alerts up to the time of report but as is rather than what will be.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

It had quietened down over an hour ago, but it's on it's way back up again, pressure has dropped to 974hPA as of 00:00

Noted around 12:30pm winds dropped here, in a matter of minutes to zero, pressure still reading at, oh no its not... its dropped again 983mb from 15:00 Monday 1005mb, temp currently at 10c

Quick little comparison, this storm has been sitting static wrapping up for nearly 10 hours now, quite a nice eye developing,

Monday 15:00

Tuesday 01:00am

Watch in full
www.metoffice.gov.uk...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by albertfothergill
DUBLIN AIRPORT EIDW 130100Z 24015KT 9999 FEW019 SCT040 BKN120 06/03 Q0978 NOSIG

This is the latest Irish met office weather from Dublin airport.

It was taken at 0100 , 1am.

SHANNON AIRPORT EINN 122300Z 1300/1324 25022G35KT 9999 FEW012 SCT018CB TEMPO 1300/1324 4000 SHRAGS TSGS BKN010 BKN017CB TEMPO 1308/1318 25030G45KT

Shannon airport is close to the west coast of Ireland. Slightly rougher weather than Dublin and seems to indicate weather is moving in from the atlantic. with south west winds which makes sense from all the other models you have all been following, according to this. These are aviation weather alerts up to the time of report but as is rather than what will be.

Thanks

I'm also looking at two site as we speak, i can't really make sense of it tbh, Wile both the Met & XCWeather have similar mb readings they have wind directions conflicting, and also the isobars conflicting, i take it they us different models

how are they both so different for there present reports i don't know,

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

This thread is funny - rather similar to listening to old people fretting about the windy weather at the bus stop. Meteorologists in the UK have so much to prove since losing the trust of the public when Michael Fish said that there would be no hurricane in the 1980`s. LOL.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join