It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning of Double Major Storms For UK Next Week - In Depth Analysis (Be Prepared)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Ok, you're playing it down, you have every right to do so.
If you are so sure, why don't you offer financial help to all that will be affected by the upcoming storms.
Deal?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I commented in the previous thread regarding the first storm suggesting that things were being exaggerated just a little. And it turns out I was right.
The thing is, here in the UK, we love the drama of the weather, it's an addiction to us!

If it snows we all panic about being trapped and not being able to drive in an inch of it. If it rains heavy we have visions or the great flood and almost start knocking together our own Ark. If there's an electrical storm we're all at the windows mumbling "oooh" and "aaah" like it's firework display.

While it is a worry that storms like this have the potential to cause so much damage, they very rarely do. So a few roofs fly off and some people can't watch telly for a few days, it's no big deal in a country with a population like ours.

Having said that, I do appreciate the work put into this thread, because the BBC are not reporting on this yet (rest assured they'll be out there reporting on it every minute catching all the dramatic footage on the day though!) and it gives me the chance to strap down the rabbit hutch and maybe bolster the garden fence (it looked wobbly in the last one!)
So for that I am grateful.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
My neighbours have just got scaffolding around there house and on top of that there is lots of tiles and slates stacked on top of each other

If the winds are as bad as last time then they will definitely fly off smashing the surrounding houses and also the scaffolding will break off and cause damage what are they thinking!

Think i might need to warn them that we could be getting hit again

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well, I live in the North of England, I took a 20 minute walk to the supermarket in shorts and t-shirt and back again and had to get a shower to cool me down and wash the sweat off me, I did get a few drops of rain on me on the way there but suffice to say I did not panic and put 20 coats on and buy a reinforced concrete bunker to take cover in.
I used to live at the coast with North Sea winds billowing in, its like a mild day to me in these so called 'major storm' conditions.
I also sleep with a window open and a fan blowing at times to cool me down, maybe if men where men again...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I commented in the previous thread regarding the first storm suggesting that things were being exaggerated just a little. And it turns out I was right.

Exagerrated? 100mph+ gusts at low level and just 8mph short of the strongest wind ever recorded in Britain. Dozens of roads blocked. Houses wrecked .....

The thing is, here in the UK, we love the drama of the weather, it's an addiction to us!

Well I agree on that!

While it is a worry that storms like this have the potential to cause so much damage, they very rarely do.
So a few roofs fly off and some people can't watch telly for a few days, it's no big deal in a country with a population like ours.

Especially those who are dead - remember 1990?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by keepithush
Well, I live in the North of England, I took a 20 minute walk to the supermarket in shorts and t-shirt and back again and had to get a shower to cool me down and wash the sweat off me, I did get a few drops of rain on me on the way there but suffice to say I did not panic and put 20 coats on and buy a reinforced concrete bunker to take cover in.
I used to live at the coast with North Sea winds billowing in, its like a mild day to me in these so called 'major storm' conditions.
I also sleep with a window open and a fan blowing at times to cool me down, maybe if men where men again...
What about the people that died because of that "mild day"

This thread is just issuing a warning for everyone, take it or leave it who cares if you can handle it or not.

The guy out driving his car in the last storm could have thought that aswel... until a tree landed on him.

edit on 11-12-2011 by Vaxar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

What do you want?

A medal?

edit on 11-12-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

When I say exaggerated, you have to take a look at what people were saying in the run up to the recent storm. As is often the case on ATS, people get so hyped up about everything, and every minor event in a little town on the ass end of nowhere becomes a "sign of the end times!!!!".
The storm did do damage, of course it did. But no greater than any other severe weather event we experience here every year.
In the summer, hundreds of people die from extreme heat. When it snows, people have car crashes and roofs collapse. When it rains heavy there's localized flooding and businesses are sunk.

Yes, it's sad when people die in extreme weather. But why is it so newsworthy compared to any other event? Why do people get so crazy about a couple of people sadly loosing their lives in an extreme weather event but people die every day all over the world for far less?

A tree falls on a car and kills a person in a storm and it's all over the news as a tragic accident. A car crashes into another on any other day of the year killing a driver and it makes a local headline for a couple of hours. Does no one else see how ridiculous this is?

It just seems a little unbalanced to be so panicked about a weather event that will probably harm fewer than 0.000000001% of our population, while there are other things that harm far more people and yet we say nothing about it.

As I said before, thousands will be inconvenienced, a few might have accidents, and the rest of us will get a good couple of days of weather drama on the TV. This is not a life-changing event and I fail to see what all the fuss is about.

It's not Armageddon, it's a little bit blustery and some buildings might be damaged. Life goes on.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It always amazes me in these situations that we get all the macho types chipping in with their derisory comments.
Really, we don't care if you want to shrug it off and go fly a kite in your mankini in the midst of a winter storm to prove how tough you are.

I'm sure if it's bad and you suffer wind damage to your property, get flooded, your car crushed by a falling tree or a family member drowned by a flash flood, you'll just whistle a happy tune, don the shorts and t-shirt and stroll down to the shops for another six pack.
Thing is, threads like this are a heads-up of possibly severe weather, and a warning for people so that they can take precautions. If it turns into a damp squib then great, if not then people at least know what is coming.
I know, it's just weather, but it can be a killer to those not prepared or the elderly.

In short, I just wish people would just stay away from some threads instead of trying to turn it into some macho pissing contest!

Not directing this at any particular poster here, it's just an observation.

edit on 11-12-2011 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
It always amazes me in these situations that we get all the macho types chipping in with their derisory comments.
Really, we don't care if you want to shrug it off and go fly a kite in your mankini in the midst of a winter storm to prove how tough you are.

I suspect many of them rarely leave the house and that they're trying to convince themselves rather than us.

Sad really.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by Essan

Yes, it's sad when people die in extreme weather. But why is it so newsworthy compared to any other event? Why do people get so crazy about a couple of people sadly loosing their lives in an extreme weather event but people die every day all over the world for far less?

A tree falls on a car and kills a person in a storm and it's all over the news as a tragic accident. A car crashes into another on any other day of the year killing a driver and it makes a local headline for a couple of hours. Does no one else see how ridiculous this is?

Because if they'd heeded the warnings and alerts they'd still be alive. The tragedy is their own stupidity. I don't believe anyone on this thread is panicking, concerned - yes, wanting more info - yes, but not panicked.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
LauraUK clearly doesn't like the English much, LOL

Oh were Scottish we can endure anything, were big & hard LOL, give me a break, try and read what is coming, its no joke, nothing like this has ever hit Scotland EVER!!! and its aiming for a much heavily populated region of the UK, hell more people live in London then scotland, this is a real danger and potential killer, on par with a catagory 3 hurricane,

after tuesdays storm the ground will be so saturated trees will drop like match sticks come friday, and rivers will certainly burst roofs & homes will take heavy damaged,

LET ALL HOPE this thing changes direction, should this hit, it will be "CATASTROPHIC" every hour that passes and the model remains the closer we get to a really serios problem come next weekend,

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Yeah? Well one good thing about Scotland is their football team. No wait,.....

Thanks for the heads up OP, I am in the South of England and will be checking for updates.

Quick question, why do you think the severity of this storm is being kept from us?? The only thing I can think of is not to cause too much panic as the storm is not certain yet?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vaxar

There is a risk you may be hit by a bus, don't leave the house.
May I remind how people never used to have double glazing, insulated walls and central heating, now a bit of a cold breeze and look how everyone panics and goes into super paranoid overdramatic mode.
It's not just a warning to others, the title alone is fear mongering rubbish, don't expect people to give a little water to a fire now and then, or should we all just keep threads as one way biased fear mongering bullpoo.
Is there a chance of some deaths in cold windy weather, Yes, welcome to how its been since the dawn of man.
Get over it.

reply to post by skitzspiricy

Yes, can we call it the 'doesn't get hysterical over a bit of cold wind' medal.

Brrrr, bit of wind just whistled outside, I better head to my bunker and make a bunch of threads on ATS about the end of the world cos of a gust and ice, we have never seen wind and snow before.

reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

And that is exactly why I post in this thread, what a load of rubbish, fear mongering at its finest.
I do hope you are willing to bet your account on your prediction of all this near extinction prophecy situation right?! no? didn't think so.

edit on 11-12-2011 by keepithush because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by keepithush

Oh come on! Now you're just making stuff up as you go along.

Nowhere on this thread has someone said this is an extinction event, end of the world, etc etc blah blah.

Nobody is scared, Nobody is hysterical, nobody is hiding in bunkers, and nobody is fearmongering.

The members on this thread were having a perfectly good discussion about the UK storms, until certain posters came along making a bunch of assumptions.

edit on 11-12-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Where can i go to to check up on the lastest models the OP is posting?

I would like to do some of my own keeping a close eye on things so to speak,

@the OP what are the chances of this thing hitting friday?

I noticed the model hasn't changed i a week or so only the date, from the 18th - now the 16th, is it right to assume the models are 90% accurate a week in advance? not much change etc?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

And that is exactly why I post in this thread, what a load of rubbish, fear mongering at its finest.
I do hope you are willing to bet your account on your prediction of all this near extinction prophecy situation right?! no? didn't think so.

It's not his prediction. It's the prediction of well respected computers, the same computers used by the Met.

Obviously he isn't going to bet his account because it's difficult to predict weather so far out(hence why the Met and the weather forecasts don't have anything for Friday yet). What he's saying is IF the weather is as projected, the storm will be epic. POTENTIALLY one of the most damaging storms in British recorded history.

That's not fear mongering, that's FACT.

What seems to be the case here is we have the usual "It's just a bit of rain" brigade, the only problem is you have failed to actually read the information posted or don't have the intelligence to process it. IF this storm develops as plans it won't be another media beat up with people over reacting to slight winds - It will be a storm to go down in British history.

Nobody has talked about extinction. What people are talking about is the obvious potential for wide spread damage, injury and loss of life. You don't seem to appreciate the potential magnitude of this storm.

I will explain further.

There are people on the left who over react to the weather and moan about tame weather -- There are people on the right who dismiss the weather in full and downplay severe weather to gain perceived man-points on offer -- Then there are people in the middle, who take the weather for what it is.

You are on the right, the vast majority in this thread are in the middle.

Nobody is claiming it's the end-days, what normal people are saying is that on Friday we're potentially going to be hit by the worst storm the UK has seen in decades, maybe centuries. Stating that fact is not scare mongering or over-reactionary in any way.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by keepithush

Oh come on! Now you're just making stuff up as you go along.
Nowhere on this thread has someone said this is an extinction event, end of the world, etc etc blah blah.
Nobody is scared, nobody is hiding in bunkers, and nobody is fearmongering.

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR
Try and read what is coming, its no joke, nothing like this has ever hit Scotland EVER!!! and its aiming for a much heavily populated region of the UK, hell more people live in London then scotland, this is a real danger and potential killer, on par with a catagory 3 hurricane,

after tuesdays storm the ground will be so saturated trees will drop like match sticks come friday, and rivers will certainly burst roofs & homes will take heavy damaged,

LET ALL HOPE this thing changes direction, should this hit, it will be "CATASTROPHIC" every hour that passes and the model remains the closer we get to a really serios problem come next weekend

I can't be bothered going through the rest of the pages to quote the others, learn to read.

It's wind and cold, as per Winter weather.
That's all I am saying, if you take offence to people saying "stop panicking and ignore the fear mongering" then maybe you should ask yourself why you are offended that people wish to reassure those that may be thinking they need to head into bunkers, panic buy survival kits and do a lot of unneccessary preparation for what is relatively mild, 60 mph winds due Monday, so what, we was knee deep in snow this time last year.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I hope the storm grows weak on its way across the oceans and seas to your shores.

Some people feel that death and destruction make us stronger. That misery and necessity are the mother of invention. But I have never agreed with this argument. First of all, it accepts (if somberly) the deaths of numerous people as the gateway to a better life. Doesn't that remind you of muslim terrorists that kill lots of people (if somberly) as a gateway to everlasting life? Secondly, it rejects any possibility of ever living in a world that is not of death and destruction. Death and destruction are seen as good. For that to be true, it must be satanic.

Death and destruction does not make us better humans. Instead what death and destruction do is make us better at living in a world of death and destruction. That does not mean being a better human. What happens if we transitioned to a world that was not of death and destruction? Well, since we evolved in a world of death and destruction then we would be unprepared. It would be like moving from a oxygen/nitrogen-rich atmosphere to a nitrogen-rich atmosphere and being unable to breathe. In this case, you would be unable to live in a world without death and misery.

Sounds silly, but it's true.
edit on 11-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Vaxar

reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

What?

Who predicted a near extinction prophecy?

Yes if the model is accurate and happens those things will surely happen, thats based on the model & past events of similar storm that wasn't even on par with this Friday storm, its not fearmongering nore saying its going to be a near extinction level event LOL,

i'm not saying this think is 100% going to hit us head on, but we do now only have a very short time for thing to change, the OP has been tracking this storm/model for weeks, it hasn't changed, and nore has anybody ever seen this before, its no joke nore should it be taken lightly, i was mearly stating the possibilities/outcome should it stay on track,

theres no harm in discussing something that could have a serious impact on the country in less then a week away, the fact that it comes after a normal winter storm like the one Scotland see just last week, add to the seriousness of it all,

I want as much information as possible, i want to hear the worst outcome, and that it will HOPEFULLY miss, i want to be prepaired and know what is going on so i can be as well prepaired on the day,

Thank you

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join