It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did all this "Ascension in 2012" stuff come from?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The belief that the end of the 13th baktun would bring about some kind of ascension originates with Frank Waters. In fact he is the first New Age author to write about the Mayan Long Count. Of course at the time he was writing people were still using Coe's original date of December 24, 2011. After him came Jose Arguelles and Terrence McKenna who are the first ones to associate ascension with December 21, 2012.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

Evidence please. I keep seeing claims like this made and yet every single time all anyone can provide as evidence is the same list of "prophecies" that don't actually exist.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
reply to post by MrUncreated

It came from the Mayans..

They never actually said the world would end in 2012...just that there would be an apocolypse ( revealing of something not known). They spoke about an ascension.

Yes, they did. And other Ancient Cultures spoke of it also. The Earth runs in cycles, every 26,000 years or so, she turns over and destroys all that humankind has built. The evidence of this, sea shells on mountaintops, cities beneath the sea, confirm this effect, for me anyway. For some, no amount of convincing will do. The truth is, you have a chance to ascend to a higher vibrational level. You can take that chance, or be recycled into 3D life again. Nobody is forcing Ascension on anyone, take it or leave it.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Yes, they did. And other Ancient Cultures spoke of it also. The Earth runs in cycles, every 26,000 years or so, she turns over and destroys all that humankind has built. The evidence of this, sea shells on mountaintops, cities beneath the sea, confirm this effect, for me anyway. For some, no amount of convincing will do. The truth is, you have a chance to ascend to a higher vibrational level. You can take that chance, or be recycled into 3D life again. Nobody is forcing Ascension on anyone, take it or leave it.

Name and provide evidence for any ancient culture that made a 2012 prediction. There are no Mayan ones and none for any other culture.

The 26,000 year cycle of the Earth is the precession of the equinox. It is not associated with periodic catastrophes. In fact, there are no known periodicities for catastrophes.

Sea shells on mountain tops are indications of geological processes that still happen today. There are no cities beneath the sea. That's fiction. There are those that believe in hoaxes or misrepresentations and no amount of evidence against these false ideas will change the minds of close minded.

Ascension claims are recent claims made by new age authors.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I believe it came, generally, from the New Age movement.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
So take your pick
A) the world is going to go belly up
B) we are all going to be magicked to a different dimension. Start work on your chakra now!
C) nothing will happen, same old same old.
Actually the way things are panning out at the moment 'A' looks quite plausible!

By the constant doom and gloom posts in this forum, I would say that a lot of ATS members are hoping it is A.

I have not found any definitive guide to clearing my karma and working on "raising my vibrations", as these channeled messages like to point out that it's absolutely imperative, if we wish to "ascend". I can't comprehend the thought process of people who create these channeled messages... do they actually believe what they say? Or is it all lies? If it's the latter, why do that? The eternal question.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

There's evidence. Do yourself a favor and look it up yourself.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MrUncreated

I'm not sure where the origins of the idea lie but the the whole Ascension thing is part of a New Age end of the world (as we know it) scenario. Thing about New Age is that it usually entails every crazy hair-brained idea you can think of. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING is part of New Age. From the Philadelphia experiment, to healing crystals, to the Annunaki, to ghosts, to Lemuria and back again. In my opinion New Age is a sort "choose your own adventure" belief system. You mix and match your favorite elements from various religions and fringe beliefs and just run with it, the only limit is how credulous you are. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to find some folks who believe Yog-sothoth and the Elder Gods are real.

Nice Cthulhu pic by the way

edit on 11-12-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

There is no evidence of any prophecies from ancient people about 2012. You have been asked for evidence to support your position and you have provided nothing at all.

The reason for this is likely that you know that there is no evidence.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

You see I have done research. Sure, plenty of New Age sites make claims such as yours, but not a single one provides any kind of evidence. I've also read research journals and not a one mentions any such prophecies.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

No. You are not interested, you project that in your response. I will not do the research for you.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Here is what I asked in response to your false claim.

Name and provide evidence for any ancient culture that made a 2012 prediction. There are no Mayan ones and none for any other culture.

This is your false claim.

Yes, they did. And other Ancient Cultures spoke of it also.

Now you post this:

I will not do the research for you.

The clear reason you refuse to substantiate your claim is that you know that it is not true. I called your bluff and you bluster because you know you posted a falsehood.

The fact of the matter is rather simple. There are NO ancient prophecies concerning 2012.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well, let me see. Would you call the Native Americans an Ancient Culture? Most of the Tribes speak of a "Great Purification" to come, then a trip to the stars to be with the Ancestors. Even the Christians speak of Ascension, they just don't call it that. They call it going to the Father in Heaven, which is, in essence, the same thing. We are talking about Dimensions here. Science tells us there are at least 10, some think there may be thousands, or even more. When a human being passes over into death, that person "ascends," in Spirit form, to the 4th dimension. What is so hard about understanding this concept, friend? Show me just one Ancient culture that doesn't mention something akin to the End Times?
You can call me out all you like, I will not play your games. Do the research for yourself, you will be better for it.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

oh dear - no one is asking you to do thier research for them

what we want - is a simple cite for the evidence that convinced you

you did do your own reasearch didnt you ??

please tell me you are not one of those idiots who " wants to believe "

so - what convinced you ? its very simples

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrUncreated: Is there a club where they all get together and discuss "the plan"?

Seems they all borrow from each other.
www.2012hoax.org...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Autowrench you claimed that ancient cultures had prophecies associated with 2012.

So now we are discussing something you are calling ascension. One problem lies here.

We are talking about Dimensions here. Science tells us there are at least 10, some think there may be thousands, or even more.

The science you refer to does not say there are other realms or dimensions. Science suggests that there are other dimensions right here and now. The dimensions exist now.

This ascension you refer to in other places is not here. You suggest that the 4th dimension is some other realm and not a part of our universe, which is what science suggests.

Show me just one Ancient culture that doesn't mention something akin to the End Times?

Just get back on topic and show me one ancient culture that has a prophecy associated with 2012.

I suggest you do a little research and learn the difference between the dimensions mention by science and these ascensions or whatever you want to call it. When you learn how different these are you will be better for it.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
One of the interesting aspects is that the new agers told people in Central America and now cite their repetition of these hoaxes as evidence of a Central American origin.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
CULTS

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
***The Photon Belt (also called the Photon Band, Photon Ring, Manasic Ring, or Golden Nebula) is a pseudo-scientific belief, largely linked to some parts of the New Age Movement. It postulates that a belt or ring of photons is going to envelop the Earth, causing a cataclysm and/or initiating a spiritual transition (referred to variously as a "shift in consciousness," the "Great Shift," the "Shift of the Ages,"[1][2][3][4][5] the "Zero Point," or the "Ascension Point"[6][7][8][9]), with the time period leading up to "the Shift" referred to as "The Quickening." The concept of the Photon Belt also ties in to various phenomena including belief in extraterrestrial intelligence and 2012 millenarianism.

The core of the Photon Belt beliefs is that there is an immense belt of photons orbiting around the Pleiades. According to some New Age beliefs, Earth will pass though this belt of photons, resulting either in humanity's elevation to a higher plane of existence, the end of the world, or both. Authors Virginia Essene (born 1928) and Sheldon Nidle (born 1946) write that the Photon Belt represents a temporary window for spiritual transition during which time humans can reach a higher level of existence, which they term the "galactic" level.[10]

The concept of the Photon Belt was first presented in 1950 by Paul Otto Hesse (died 1958) in his work Der Jüngste Tag (The Last Day). This concept was repeated and expanded upon by Samael Aun Weor in a lecture he gave in 1977 titled "The Rings of Alcyone," and in August 1981, when an article on the topic titled "And So Tomorrow" by Shirley Kemp was published in the Australian International UFO Flying Saucer Research Magazine.[11]

***The Age of Aquarius is either the current or new age in the cycle of astrological ages. Each astrological age is approximately 2,150 years long, on average, but there are various methods of calculating this length that may yield longer or shorter time spans depending upon the technique used. Unlike sun-sign astrology where the first sign is Aries, followed by Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces, whereupon the cycle returns to Aries and through the zodiacal signs again, the astrological ages proceed in the opposite direction or order – normally termed retrograde. Therefore, the Age of Aquarius follows the Age of Pisces. It has been said that we are currently shifting into the Aquarian Age.[1]

***The Earth may be about to move into a million-degree cloud of interstellar gas, according to Polish and US scientists.

They suggest that the Ribbon of enhanced emissions of Energetic Neutral Atoms, discovered last year by NASA Small Explorer satellite IBEX, could be explained by the fact that we're approaching the boundary between the Local Cloud of interstellar gas and another cloud of a very hot gas called the Local Bubble.

If this hypothesis is correct, the Ribbon is simply a geometric effect, and IBEX is catching matter from a hot neighboring interstellar cloud, which the Sun might enter in a hundred years.

The team's model suggests that the boundary between the Local Cloud and the Local Bubble might be a few light years away, as was believed earlier, but within a thousand astronomical units - a thousand times closer.

This might mean that the Solar System could enter the million-degree Local Bubble cloud as early as the next century.

But don't panic.

"The Sun frequently traverses various clouds of interstellar gas during its galactic journey," says co-author Dr Andrzej Czechows from the Space Research Centre of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Such clouds are of very low density - much lower than the best vacuum obtained in Earth labs.

Once in, he says, the heliosphere will reform and may shrink a little and the level of cosmic radiation entering the magnetosphere may rise a bit - but that's all.

www.tgdaily.com...

Sorry I couldt guide you more, there is also talk of supposed Earth quarintine to be lifted soon.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
when nothing happened in 1999 , 2000 , 2001 etc the hucksters just moved onto the next "cool date"
edit on 10-12-2011 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

From 2000 on the world began to down spiral, with 9-11 speeding things down

edit on 12/12/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join