It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we refer to God as a "He"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

The Judeo-Christian and Islamic God is often refered to as he or another masculine title as the Abrahamic religions were concieved in patriarchal societies, hence the title 'he' or 'him' being used as a symbol of respect and dominance.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
it's probably more to do with the status that women had when the bible was fabricated being kinda low

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Do you guys get that this is merely METAPHOR??

When we refer to God as a "He" the intention is not to say God in His essence is a He. God is neither a He nor a She. He is beyond all distinction or quality. Nothing can be said about His essence.

But when talking about how He reflects Himself through His creation, which is the emanation of His essence into particular forms, this is where we begin to refer to Him as a "He" relative to the creation, which is a "she" - and hence, the popular expression "MOTHER nature"...Nature is the expression - the form -, and so we call it a 'she'.

This is all metaphysical language. We can't even talk about God as He is in Himself, because that would give us no form of relationship with Him. In order to establish a relationship between man and God, we look to nature - the form - , the created realm, and probe its inner dynamics to derive a logical system in which we can know something about Gods intention for man, and so learn in what ways we can relate with Him.

In creational terms, i.e. in normative thinking, metaphysics teaches us how man can relate to God WITHIN creation. Were merely following the dynamic interplay of forces and energies.
edit on 10-12-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

Not really. It's always reduced to the concept of a relationship. The giver is the masculine, and the feminine is the receiver.

Dominance and respect are present in a patriarchal society as byproducts - but they are not its foundational principles.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We don't all think of God as a He. God to me is a She as in Goddess primarily although I recognize there is a God as well (but more minor to me). Divine God/Goddess is also Nature. God/Goddess is everything I see. Nothing is without God/Goddess in it. Its all God/Goddess and I also feel its transcendent.

I think the reason most people feel God is a he has to do with the male dominated religions which are at least in the US the most popular.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
As to why We call God "He" is because it wasn't We that set that into motion, it was already in place when this Matrix began and it's fallacy is identical to all the rest of the backwards thinking prevalent throughout this Matrix.

God is our Mother, kNot our father so get used to it.

Ribbit

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Maybe because man was made in the image of God and women were made from the rib of man.

Short and sweet. I like it

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Thats kinda funny. From what i have read, nothing about God is feminine. Not even the Holy Spirit for the Spirit is a he.

Sounds like you can't distinguish that males can love too or even show it. Thats putting it mildly. That being said, nowhere in the bible does it say God has a penis or a vagina for that matter. God is a he because he represents masculine authority and he punishes his children the way a male would...with that thing we call hard love. Last but not least is my favorite. God is a he because Jesus is a male and they are the one and the same, they are one. Jesus was born into this world a male because that is what he was before he entered this world, his pre-incarnate form.

God is a female thread coming in:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

It seems like metaphysical ideas confuse the bulk of you.....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join