It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we refer to God as a "He"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Man is born into this world, and imprinted within his very nature, is the will to receive. We get hungry, and so we long to eat. We get thirsty, and so we long to drink. We get lonely and so we long to love. Within mans very nature, is a will to receive. This is a profoundly deep truth.

The will to receive, the desire, yields pleasure when the giver - God - gives of His bounty.

In creation, the metaphysic of giving is called masculine energy, because it can be observed through creation that the male, gives, for instance, the male gives his seed to the female. The female is like a circle, or vessel, which the masculine potential, penetrates. The basic symbol of power found on any device refers to this archetypal process

The line is the archetypal energy of the male which comes from WITHOUT - similar to the penis which penetrates the vagina - whereas the circle is the sphere of expression; where the energy becomes activated. And hence, the symbol refers to "power".

Mankind, who has this basic will to receive, relates to God as the archetypal giver, and so in metaphor, refer to Him in the masculine as a "He"...

This is the root idea of all patriarchal philosophies and ethics. Man recognizes his own inherent nature, his own role as the receiver, because in his very nature is the will to receive. Thus, if he is the receiver, it follows God is the giver. The giver only gives of his bounty, as in the case of the normal human analogy, when there's a strong enough will to receive; meaning, only when Mankind has a strong enough desire to know God, and connect with him, will they be a will to give in proportion with the will to receive.

As for the spiritual feminine. This is the indwelling divine presence, called the Shekinah in Hebrew. This is God within created reality, when the presence spreads amongst mankind.
edit on 10-12-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
i dont know to refer to him as a he is stupid since it states that HE has sexual organs (male ones) which means he can reproduce and if that is the case are there other gods he can procreate with? who designed his sexual organs? has he got parents? was god born?

or mabey in the day of jesus and mohamed when women where inferior to men and where pretty much slaves, had to do what the man said or get beaten, so the fact man looked down on women the fact that they worshiped this idea of a "HIM" the thought of god being a she would... well im not sure they would of gone crazy?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Maybe because man was made in the image of God and women were made from the rib of man.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

thank you for your thread , definitely makes sense to me .
imo all (or at least a lot of) things contain a duality of energies , good and bad , love and hate , opposing polarities .
each side having their specific advantages and mistakes , but our current world really represents what happens when the male souls take over the female souls ...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
probably because the religious leaders of the past were all men and men in control would have a hard time dealing with a female god,especially when we know now,how the popes during the middle ages fanned the flames of the witch hunts that sent so many women to the stake...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

man if you wanna get tripped out check out some more recent pictures of pope ratziboy ... if you look deep into his eyes for some time evil , creepy vibes come up imo ...
darnkess is around his eyes , just like the eyes of a drug addict look like . a drug doesn't have to be material to be addicting ... goethe's "faust" comes into mind ... a treaty with the devil (as a metaphor for negative forces if you dont wish to believe in the "christian" devil) , a soul sold to the soulsacker #1 in exchange for riches , power and infulence .

hwctyq.blu.livefilestore.com... l.jpg

totoweise.files.wordpress.com...

totoweise.files.wordpress.com...

i mean thats just plain scary . would you trust this man if he offered you anything ? i know id be running liek a lil kid from this man in no time lol
edit on 10-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
we refer to god as a he bc despite all what u hear and u r trying to say, all gods are males, bey definition absolute free ones

female figure out of natural life is what mean being positively free bc gods exist to check on objective positive constancies so she wont have to look at it
that is why nature freedom realize her own positive freedom in absolute terms by killing everyone which is opposite to absolute principle, clearly showing how she doesnt include herself in what she does as her condition for being settled by objective creators gods

that is how in truth males figures are first and females when positive constancy out of objective freedom is certain, then females appear to benefit from positive objective for subjective free superiority

that what prove that genders are to creations and all what is to creations is evil oppositions to truth, and how the sense is surely true freedom whatever is now is nothing to true sense

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BoB420

Now come on. Anyone can google his pics and see his eyes are just fine and do not have that darkness around them. Unless you click on that extra provided link at the top which puts "devil'' (or maybe ''satan'') after his name. Then the pics you posted come up. Doctored stuff. Amusing but not real

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think Long ago woman ruled like man is doing now.
but I think women went to far and used man as slaves.
so man took over.

in the bible stories of Adam and Lilith.
(Lilith was said to be the first wife of Adam)
Lilith is said to wont to be on top.
to be the dominant one.
she was cast out !
I think Lilith was a queen that ruled.

and now we have man in control.
I wonder if woman will gain the role of power again?
It would not bother me.
we do have a queen in England any way.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
God, if there is such a thing, has to be a woman.

God designed the male gonads to hang outside the body, definatley a female.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Aside from the masculine gender archetype the Bible does say that "we created (Adam) in our image" so it likely began there....

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

feel free to believe what you want , pushing one of my beliefs on another person is the last thing i'd do .
i see "satan" or his various names given to him by various cultures around the globe as a mere metaphor for all the evil in the world . like "the man" . or "babylon" . not like , some dude with red skin and really filthy teeth sittin on a throne of feces with horns whom shares a shaky relationship with saddam hussein . you know what im saying ?

enjoy the weekend my friend

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I got rid of the idea of god being a he a long time ago. When I picture or think of god I think of something like this

Thats not exactly it but thats the best that I can find.
edit on 10-12-2011 by OhNoItsCritical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
According to the old stories of my tradition, The force which animates this universe is a male principle, the matter which is animated is the female principle.

There is a god and a goddess.

There is no singular being which unfolds creation by itself, just as we cannot create children ourselves, we require the other.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
According to the old stories of my tradition, The force which animates this universe is a male principle, the matter which is animated is the female principle.

There is a god and a goddess.

There is no singular being which unfolds creation by itself, just as we cannot create children ourselves, we require the other.
Lots of living things and even some animals and amphibians reproduce asexually,without mating first > en.wikipedia.org... ...so god may be neither male or female,or both in one...

Boa Constrictor mom gives "virgin birth" > news.discovery.com...
edit on 10-12-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
God is everything and nothing.
But because we live in a male run society and the bible says 'he is our father' the God that is worshipped is a male authority figure.
If the bible called God 'she', the world would be a very different place, i think.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BoB420

We live in a matriarchal society.

The Patriarchal society is a society which recognizes it's inherent need - its inherent state as a receiver relative to the unknown cause, and giver of the bounty. Does this society seem this way?? Absolutely not! This society thinks it's complete unto itself, and this is what we would archetypally call (and indeed, this is how a sociologist, or someone with any knowledge of metaphysics, would see it) a matriarchal society: where the will to receive is not recognized as a pointer to another half, which wants to give. In this world, chaos, and confusion, and inversion, reigns.

This is an EMOTIONAL society, and not a society governed by self reflection, intellectual maturity, and responsibility. This society is entirely matriarchal. Hence, the social planners employ archetypal propaganda throughout it's media, in sitcoms, cartoons etc to train our minds to look and interpret, and eventually to imitate the type of patterns we observe.

Check out this article.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

in the bible stories of Adam and Lilith. (Lilith was said to be the first wife of Adam) Lilith is said to wont to be on top. to be the dominant one. she was cast out ! I think Lilith was a queen that ruled.

This is all metaphor..

You have the essential idea correct, but it's referring to a psychological process, and not an event in history.

Lilith is the feminine that refuses to accept, and receive from the masculine, and so it's regarded as the source for the demonic.

The masculine is intellect and reason. The feminine is emotion and 'life'. The emotion which isn't guided and restrained by the reason, leads to excess, and hence "produced demons" - which is what Lilith did. Which is why she was "cast out" and replaced by Eve, who was taken from Adams "rib". Meaning, Eve understood her relationship with the masculine as that of reception; she came from Adams side (the word for rib also means side).... Chava - Eve - implies life, and living, and one is only truly alive when apart of the whole.

Lilith was said to have been made from the same clay that Adam was made from. In this scheme, there was no form or basis for a relationship between the two. The feminine wants to rule with the Masculine, instead of receiving its light - as it is meant to do, for instance, as the woman receives the seed from the male, or how the moon reflects the line of the Sun. THIS IS THE POINT OF THE FEMININE.. Eve is DERIVED from Adam, and so she reflects his other half - that of reception.

Lilith is the archetype of spiritual destruction. Her name literally means 'night'. She extinguishes all proper spiritual guidance, because she refuses to accept her role as a receiver. She is the archetype of rebellion, and evil, and so, witches, Satanists, and Feminists (like the "lilith magazine") typically regard Lilith as a patron deity - the abstraction of their own primary nature.

Just analyzing the way she's described (METAPHORICALLY) in Rabbinic literature will help us understand what she represents:

"R. Hanina said: One may not sleep in a house alone [in a lonely house], and whoever sleeps in a house alone is seized by Lilith.”

Creation is likened to a house. And to dwell alone, means to say that there is only one side present - the feminine. Lilith is present in a "lonely house" because she refuses the presence of the active masculine.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Why we refer to God as a "He"

I guess the Bible hasn't caught up to the political correctness rage yet.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Having agreed with that post.

There have been many Female Goddesses throughout Human history.
The God of Abraham presently is perceived as being Male. I like the idea of a genderless All Powerful, All knowing Infinite being instead.

But thats just me.

<<   2 >>

join