It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXPERIMENT: Compare YOUR basic cost of living (food purchases) against that here in Australia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I think many people are missing the point the OP is trying to make. If the minimum wage is 7.25 and you spend $60 then you are paying more then if the minimum wage was $15 and you spent $80 for the food. The point is the cost of food is nearly double here in America then it is in Australia. And since people can't think too well here in America, ATS excluded, we believe that because we are paid less and spend less that somehow we make more.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
Ok, here’s a list of essentially basic food items that I could buy at my local supermarket for $AUS80.

washed potatoes 1kg
cauliflower each
onions 1kg
carrots 1kg
broccoli 1kg
lettuce each
tomatoes 1kg
cabbage (half)
apples (granny smith) 1kg
oranges (navel) 1kg
chicken breast fillet (skinless) 1kg
beef sausages 1kg
white bread loaf (sliced)
milk 2 ltrs
eggs 1 doz.
cheese tasty block 250gm pack
margerine 500 gm tub
nescafe gold blend coffee 200gm jar
coca cola (normal & zero) 2 ltrs
can beetroot slices 850 gm
lipton tea bags 200 pack
toilet rolls 12 pack
laundry detergent 1kg

Okay, would you be so kind as to transfer the kg into lbs? Washed potatoes? you can buy those in AU? Here we get a 2 pound bag or 1 pound for 3-4 dollars, not washed they have dirt and grime on them, sometimes including mold which you have to peel off.... for bread I got 2 whole wheat breads for 2.99, milk is $3 something, Eggs i get 18 for 2 dollars, toilet paper ( i get the high end stuff with the puppies on it) is 13.99 for a 18 pack? Typically veggies are inexpensive, I noticed I bought ground Turkey @ my local Price Chopper grocery store and it was over $7 for a pound of it, I was outraged.

I could go to Walmart and get a 1 lb bag for 3 dollars or so. When I make taco's thats the meat I use (turkey) as it is much more tasty and healthier, it absorbs so much of the flavors. Oh yea forgot to mention that's me making $155 a week on Unemployment, which I can barely buy all of those things in one shot and have $$ left over for the rest of my bills- 155/ a week = $600a month well below the poverty line.

I applied for food stamps and they declined me, Really. I hate using the system but when times are tough you have to do what you got to...
edit on 12/10/2011 by Irish614 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/10/2011 by Irish614 because: in demented's honor I decided to "make it more readable"

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

?

do not be so mad.

make it.

more.

readable.

edit on 10-12-2011 by demented because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

edit on 12/10/2011 by Irish614 because: nvm

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614 I applied for food stamps and they declined me, Really. I hate using the system but when times are tough you have to do what you got to...

That's how it is supposed to be. Safty net and all that.. shouldn't want to use it, but should be able to use when you need to.

That's what really buggers me... this should ideally be one of our least expensive expenditures on a governmental level... not among the highest (social welfare, that is)
edit on 12-10-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

washed potatoes 1kg - $1
cauliflower each - $2 (depending on season)
onions 1kg - $1.50
carrots 1kg - $2
broccoli 1kg - $1
lettuce each - $3
tomatoes 1kg - $2
cabbage (half) - $2
apples (granny smith) 1kg - $1.50
oranges (navel) 1kg - $3
chicken breast fillet (skinless) 1kg - $1.50
beef sausages 1kg - $4.50
white bread loaf (sliced) - $2.99
milk 2 ltrs - $1.50
eggs 1 doz. - $0.79 to $3.49 depending on variety
cheese tasty block 250gm pack - ummm.. what?
margerine 500 gm tub - $2
nescafe gold blend coffee 200gm jar - Instant Coffee? HEATHENS!!! (and $5)
coca cola (normal & zero) 2 ltrs - $1.99
can beetroot slices 850 gm - $0.99
lipton tea bags 200 pack - $1.99
toilet rolls 12 pack - $2.99 to $7.99 depending on variety
laundry detergent 1kg - $2.99 to $14.99 depending on variety

Here in Canada The total if i were to buy all the items in the list would cost around 100$ to 200$ dollar thanks to th HST Tax and other our own national tax code that we have here.
edit on 10-12-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
As a Romanian, that list is waaaaaaaaay above what a medium romanian can buy.

To have an ideea about Romania (an EU country that recently signed the acord), our minimum wage is 4.3 LEI per hour ( 1 euro / hour). About 60% of us work for that minimum wage...

What can you buy with 4 euros ( 17.3 LEI) after half day of work ?

-1 bread = 1.5 LEI
-1 Litre of vegetable oil = 6 LEI
-1 Kilo of sugar = 5 LEI
- 1/2 Kilo of cheapest sausages = 5 LEI

That is all.

Another 20% of people are retired...they have pensions BELOW minimum wage.

So...we have 80% of the population living with this income.

Imagine that EU wanted us, Romania, to chip in to save the EU.

I told you that so you have an ideea about how BAD things can be very very soon for anyone...because those time are coming...
edit on 10-12-2011 by Recollector because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Well, you're both wrong, 1 kilogram = 2.20462262 pounds. Probably should get your facts straight before you laugh at others.

Also, for those not in the United States, the stated average hourly rate might be correct. But remember, the large cities carry this mean. So if you work in a smaller town/city, the cost of living and hourly wage are usually less. Especially the wages which are less than the "average" portrayed in the statistics.
edit on 10-12-2011 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

Well, you're both wrong, 1 kilogram = 2.20462262 pounds. Probably should get your facts straight before you laugh at others.

Also, for those not in the United States, the average hourly rate might be correct. But remember, the large cities carry this mean. So if you work in a smaller town/city, the cost of living and hourly wage are usually less. Especailly the wages. Much less the "average" portrayed in the statistics.

You are right.. I had it inverted in my head.. however I didn't laugh at anyone.. why would you think that?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
"hehe, I doubt many Americans even know that .5 lbs~1kg."

'nuff said.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by rogerstigers
reply to post by Ghost375

very good point.. and to compare apples to apples.. average hourly rate in the US is about $23.00

www.bls.gov...

I used 0.5 lbs for 1 kg.. close enough for this experiment
edit on 12-10-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

hehe, I doubt many Americans even know that .5 lbs~1kg.

Just like to point out that roger never said that. And locally, where I live (Small town, borderline rural) That list would cost me anyhwere from 80-120 USD. Min wage here is 7.25, with about 60% of the populace making under $10/hr. Cost of living is cheap, power is expensive, natural gas is cheap. Gasoline or Petrol if you prefer, depends largely on your car. My 50mpg diesel serves me well

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Recollector

can you please give some official source for that - extrem shocking and good point(s) to argue against romania beeing in the eurozone....(no offense!!!)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

1kg = 2.2lbs (just saying)

Springer...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hey that was my thread. It was pretty much an excuse to point out that neocons that wear patriot costumes are psycopathic
And that the working poor do it way too tough. And that America looks like a bad place to live from the outside.

This is a good idea.It would be good to include rental prices and house prices. I read that Sydney is like the most expensive behind Hong Kong. I still think even with our GST we are much better off than Americans. There is money everywhere in Australia.

edit on 10-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

top topics

<< 1   >>

join