It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Apocalypse Fears Unfounded, NASA Says

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Well i do have to say nasa is by far the most open branch of the government they are still part of the big group of secret keepers known as th U.S. gov. Ofcourse they would not say it will be the end... even if it is. I don't know if it will be the end or not but just because nasa says it isn't does not impact ky disesion at all.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
It's called marketing and MILLIONS if not BILLIONS of dollars have been made by 'tricking' people into a scared state of mind.

Any proper research will point out glaring errors, and I believe some research was done in Central America by universities, professors who are specialized in the fields of ancient cultures. They got the same results as I got: It's a marketing scheme.

Stop misleading your brothers and sisters.

Bunker building, wow, thats a big marketing scheme. Lots of taxpayers dollars at waste there.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

What about all the movies, books, stories that have been sold for nothing but money over the past DECADES(yes, this hogwash has existed for decades)?

Is that not marketing?

What about a movie called: "2012"?

Or the countless false prophets? Countless false movements? Countless false predictions? None of that strikes you as odd?

How about the many psychological instabilities that come with this 2012 scheme? I can't count the amount of people who, in real life, have told me they are scared for 2012.

Fear is a GREAT tool for oppressors and abusers. If you cannot understand this basic psychological use of fear then by all means, enjoy corrupting those around you.

But of course, you don't stop at 2012 do you? Because at the end of 2012, there's the apocalypse, so people have to redeem themselves or change their ways. That's where an additional level of money-siphoning is introduced. By people with new age beliefs or simply organized religions trying to get a piece of the action.

I dare you to deny these truths.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
well those projected FEMA camps speak other words....
are those camps projected to detaine civilians ore an shelter for the chosen ones to survive????

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Once you realize how you've been had by the phony 2012 stories and wake up and see your apathy has cost you your government and your way of life, then maybe you will understand. Right before you get arrested because you are a liability and could not be bothered to read about the actual decisions being made by your "leaders". Then you get put in the FEMA camps for resisting arrest. AND THAT'S WHEN, you will understand the value of this post.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

2012 Apocalypse Fears Unfounded, NASA Says

www.space.com

Despite the hoopla surrounding the dateDec. 21, 2012, the world is not at risk of coming to a halt, NASA says.

Aside from that date marking next year's winter solstice, the longest night of that year, nothing else interesting is expected.

All in all, "sleep well on Dec. 21 of next year," said astronomer Don Yeomans, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object program office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., at a public talk yesterday (Dec. 8) about rumors of a 2012 apocalypse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

so why are country's preparing for the worst.... ??? russia 5000 underground shelters... america FEMA camps.... norway thunnels in the mountains.... seedbank onspitsbergen .. alll readdy for 2012......

besides.... is NASA really an reliable source?????
edit on 10-12-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Personally,I am more alarmed and worried that they actually made such a statement to begin with!
has been previously stated in this thread multiple times and in which I 100% agree,NASA is the last place I would look for definitive truth or information concerning 2012.

I do not claim to know what will happen around this date but my intuitive senses tell me Something will happen.
Even if only a self-fulfilling prophecy,it has all the makings of panicking many world-wide into preparing for catastrophe.

I would simply point to everyday storms,"black friday sales" etc. to show how people react and act in irrational fashion.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

Let me ask you this then -
Just because anything is used for marketing purposes or others may abuse a form of anything for their own nefarious or money making reasons,that does not mean the subject in question is completely irrelevant or obsolete right???

That mindset will only get you in trouble,it is absolutely silly to think just because others would use something for $$$ or whatever that the source of their marketing/exploitation is moot or false.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
The four horsemen: Conquest, War, Pestilence, and Death. These things are only increasing around the world, so what does NASA know? Nothing.

I beg you take a history book and start....say...with the Romans about 100 BC....going slowly to the middle-ages...coming to WWI and WWII...until you arrive today.

And then if you STILL with a serious face can say that war and pestilence is "increasing" today i cant help you either. Because it's simply not true.
edit on 10-12-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
You know, since I first became interested in all this conspiracy stuff in my early teens (late 90s), I've seen all these doomsday dates come and go with not a thing happening. Nothing. Nada. At that age it scared me out of my wits; the Y2K stuff, Nibiru coming in 2003, every other prophecy between then and now. Nothing out of the ordinary has ever happened. Since I first found ATS in 2006 (I didn't join until 2008 and rarely took part in discussions until recently) I've seen these prophecies, threads about the destruction of Earth by comets, devastating earthquakes, rogue planets and so on come and go. Over time, I've come to realise how utterly ridiculous it all is. I've become heartily sick of the fearmongers and just can't understand why they don't go through the same processes I have, from initial fear right through to total annoyance and skepticism.

This site is much better off for having members like Phage who can disprove this rubbish in minutes. I'm only singling Phage out because he has to put up with the most baiting, but members like Chadwickus, Jim Oberg, Proud Bird, DJW001 and so on have provided an invaluable education to me and I'm pretty sure a lot of others too, and they also provide a much-needed balance to some of the utter claptrap that gets posted here.

2012 may be a bad year for the population of Earth but it's going to be because of idiot governments and not because of an invisible planet carrying evil aliens. Please, give it up.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

Let me ask you this then -

Fine, but I am without mercy concerning this subject. And as I am putting my intellect to use to prevent my generation and the next ones from falling to these new-age-nonsensical ideas(I refer to them as 21st century religions)I expect an intellectual or at least, thought out reply, otherwise there's no use in us discussing anything.

Just because anything is used for marketing purposes or others may abuse a form of anything for their own nefarious or money making reasons,that does not mean the subject in question is completely irrelevant or obsolete right???

First of all, you don't need to create an excuse for what you believe in. What you believe in is largely dependent on your surroundings and the way you perceive your surroundings. So in that sense, your belief to you can never be wrong, unless you are a critical thinker. As a humble yet critical thinker you understand that there are psychological backgrounds to your ideas, why you believe certain things and dismiss others for example. Please try and understand this first, then read on.

Which subject in question is irrelevant or obsolete? The apocalypse in 2012? The million-and-one predictions(that have ALL failed)? The growing number of new-age cults, companies, stories?

None of them are irrelevant and obsolete, because literally millions of people believe in this relatively, newly concocted 21st century religion. However, the stories remain utter garbage. Obviously they are filled with half-truths to catch peoples intention, then there are many fraudulent arguments and "facts" that are fabricated on the spot. And not to forget the blatant cherry picking from other religions...

There lies a danger within these apocalypse ideologies that render life useless and void of meaning to believers and so they do not cherish nor value life. After all, in 2012 the world will end and everyone will turn into magical energy pixies and fly off into space to meet their imaginary friends. This is a HUGE ISSUE. PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS - simply because it is on the internet and they can read.

Your argument is not valid because you do not grasp the scope of this ordeal. Maybe you enjoy tricking your friends and family into believing a religion made up by people named willcock, but personally, I see it as EXTREMELY detrimental to the lives of my friends and family.

That mindset will only get you in trouble,it is absolutely silly to think just because others would use something for $$$ or whatever that the source of their marketing/exploitation is moot or false.

You obviously do not understand how marketing works. If a marketeer looks through a telescope and there is a smudge on the lens...it's 2012. When a marketeer gets hit by hail that's a little too big, the world is at an end. Not to them of course, but they know there are idiots around the globe ready to fork up the money just to get scared - and then comforted. (price tags on both)

You have NO idea how far these people will go to sell you ideas, stuff or absolutely nothing...for MONEY!

So for your own sake, stop believing in santa claus.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

I for one never stated initially what or what I do not believe.

I was merely pointing out just because something can be used to make money does not mean that said subject is false,it only means that whomever is using those ideas,theories,subjects is in the wrong and has self serving motives in using whatever it may be that they are exploiting.

Anyone can use just about anything for marketing or fear mongering purposes but You have to hold the individuals responsible with what They do with the information,book,ideas that they are spreading/using for selfish reasons.

You cannot generalize and prematurely state that 2012 is false just because some authors/pseudo-scientists/researchers may use the subject for their own negative,marketing,selfish reasons.

My point is it sounds like you are stating that just because 2012 is gaining money whether in honest,sincere or less than sincere/honest motives from individuals that the entire subject/theory is clearly,simply and only a money making scam.

That is not "intellectual" reasoning,debate or a mindset I would subscribe to or agree with.

You assume I believe one thing over the other when I have never stated what I believe in,period. you are assuming I would "trick" my friends and family?
you clearly have not done your research my friend.
to propose that 2012 is only being perpetrated & believed in because you can read it on the internet? or that some less than sincere authors would make money off of a very well known and popular subject.

that is absolutely ridiculous.

I know and realize the scope of this ordeal as you put it,the fact is it is you that is not understanding that there are many out there who believe.not because they have internet and can read.

You take any "conspiracy theory" or ANY subject/theory out there and tell me that there are those that would not attempt to make money off of the subject?

that does not solely mean that those subjects or theories are absolutely false just because someone decided to make some $$$ off of it!

there are many reasons that people are worried about 2012,and I can assure you it is not simply because someone told them what to believe.

On the contrary you do not have anything to say or to disprove of something not happening in 2012...do you?

Apocalypse does not mean "the end of the world or destruction of Earth as we know it" it actually means "lifting of the veil" which I believe many of us have had covering our eyes,so 2012 I personally hope will bring a major life changing event,We need change.

Apocalypse: An Apocalypse (Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis; "lifting of the veil" or "revelation") is a disclosure of something hidden from the majority of mankind in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e. the veil to be lifted.

Source

Looks like it is time for just that,I welcome the Apocalypse.
edit on 10-12-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Fear... of the unknown... no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Or do they?
The only things that can wipe out a large portion of the Earth's population are: Disease, War, the Sun, an Asteroid, Alien Invasion. I think the Mayans had to stop their calendar at some point, however the aliens who helped them may return. But don't aliens die too? Mexico and Guatamala may have severe rains and flooding, a localized apocalypse.
The only event may be how the public chooses to act. In other words, a man made fear reaction event. Such as people stripping the food from the grocery store shelves and running off to Tim Buck Two. In this case the economy is pumped up with cash. I personally think nothing will happen. The alien arrival event would be my pick. However, that is an outrageous idea as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception
Personally,I am more alarmed and worried that they actually made such a statement to begin with!
has been previously stated in this thread multiple times and in which I 100% agree,NASA is the last place I would look for definitive truth or information concerning 2012.
[...]

This,and

1. I doubt the Mayans created the Calender to make Money...just because People make Money with it today,doesn´t mean it doesn´t exist. They made it for a Reason,be it some "Change" or the "End of the World" ,which doesn´t have to mean the Destruction of our Planet.

2. No Solar Events or Planet X or Asteroids which could cause a "few" Problems? Sorry NASA,you FAIL. How many Times did we detect Asteroids/Comets that were Weeks,in some cases only Days (i remember one Case where they detected a Comet that already passed us...) away from us?

Same with Solar Storms. Sure they can measure the Activity of the Sun,but they can NOT predict Solar Storms Months (or Weeks) in advance. A (very) big one would the the "End of the World as we know it" since we rely too heavy on Electricity.

3. For those who say nothing will happen,look around you. Our World is crumbling right now. The Worlds Monetary System is on the Verge of Self-Destructing,many Nations (particular USsrael,Russia,China,Pakistan,Iran and some more) are gearing up for War,and in some cases (especially USA-Russia because of the Missile Defence Shield Dispute) are already in a sort of Cold War right now.

Sounds like Fearmongering huh? If you´re still blind to the happenings around the World,be my Guest. I know whats happening and what could happen next Year,and seeing a Goverment Agency saying things that they can´t precit anyway (especially Asteroids/Comets and Solar Storms) so far into the Future,makes them even less credible.

Its just reinforces my thoughts that they are hiding something.

Have a great Weekend

edit on 10-12-2011 by Shenon because: grammar

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I for one never stated initially what or what I do not believe.

And that is completely irrelevant.

For one, never did I claim you believed something specific, but you do believe, right?

I was merely pointing out just because something can be used to make money does not mean that said subject is false,it only means that whomever is using those ideas,theories,subjects is in the wrong and has self serving motives in using whatever it may be that they are exploiting.

Ehm. I still don't think you understand what I am saying here. I am not speaking generally, I am speaking directly towards this whole concocted apocalypse scenario - derived from marketeers taking ancient cultures, rehashing them in a way to affect their target audience and presenting it, as if what they present is genuine and untouched.

You say; "Well, just because they took it doesn't mean there is nothing to it."

Would you care to explain to me, what there is to it then? And why should the youth be distracted by these ancient stories about the Mayans to such a degree(it's crazy in big cities)? Is there a valuable lesson in these stories? Or, tell me what actual, undeniable truths there are, within these stories, that have their roots in actual scientific research? You would be surprised...

You cannot generalize and prematurely state that 2012 is false just because some authors/pseudo-scientists/researchers may use the subject for their own negative,marketing,selfish reasons.

And I'm not. There has been actual research done towards this and the result was: Marketing scheme. Sure, these cultures existed...but that's about it.

My point is it sounds like you are stating that just because 2012 is gaining money whether in honest,sincere or less than sincere/honest motives from individuals that the entire subject/theory is clearly,simply and only a money making scam.

The way it is presented, it sure is. Unless there is actual evidence that suggests otherwise. Right now, all the evidence points to: Marketing scheme.

That is not "intellectual" reasoning,debate or a mindset I would subscribe to or agree with.

Inform yourself properly on the subject then before you judge. I did.

I know and realize the scope of this ordeal as you put it,the fact is it is you that is not understanding that there are many out there who believe.not because they have internet and can read.

Yes, and that is frightening as it is a belief with VERY, fragile foundations. A belief that has been engineered together by marketeers, for profit. Or are you going to claim you are not giving your opinion, yet you think this is not the case? (Awkward).

Apocalypse does not mean "the end of the world or destruction of Earth as we know it" it actually means "lifting of the veil" which I believe many of us have had covering our eyes,so 2012 I personally hope will bring a major life changing event,We need change.

Semantics mixed with conjecture to FIT the 2012 agenda. Just as it was used as 'the destruction' a couple of generations ago.

On the contrary you do not have anything to say or to disprove of something not happening in 2012...do you?

Click the link to be proven wrong.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well,
NASA has been correct more than the doomsdayers about outcomes,.
So I am going with them

Oh and the most recent correct statement was Comet Elenin wasnt going to be a
threat... Hmmm that kinda went in their favor,, hey.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
As I have said many times before, the only reason anyone placed any special emphasis on 2012 is because of the Maya. However, the Maya never placed any specific emphasis on that date. This means that the initial premise for these 2012 believers is false making their conclusions false as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
NASA is stating that nothing is going to happen according to "their view."
That hardly dismisses the claims that the world will change via some awakening or financial meltdown. Remember, the Maya claimed that this would be the end of an era/age, not the end of the world. Take a look around, even the news can't deny that people are waking up to the truth about the world, how it works, and who's pulling the strings. I'm not saying 12/21/2012 is the day, but very soon we're going to be seeing some definite global changes, including the way people want to live, be governed, and how they want to handle future educational, political, and religious matters.

Consensus controls reality. If enough people believe the world is turning to $h!t or are focusing on bringing about change, then change will happen. That's how it works. Maybe the presented date isn't Mayan, Egyptian, or Hindu (as the theories go), maybe that date was created for the purpose of focusing people's thoughts on the words "change" or "end." Maybe it's working. It sure seems to be.

Like all things prophecy... we shall see.

edit on 10-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

I pretty much agree with you on every point you make. I do not believe however that this is any great prophesy. I could copy and paste your words and use them in every generation from now going back to the beginning of recorded history and they would still be true.

The world is in a constant state of change, and views on how the things are run and how we live are always changing. Old ways die, and new ways come to pass. After 2012 a new date will be established and we will wait to see what happens then.

This is no more prophetic than me saying that by 2050 new technology and ideas will change the way we look at our world. Saying that on Dec. 21, 2012 the world will end, that is a prophesy. To say that at some obscure date in the relative near future some changes will take place, that is just common sense.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

That hardly dismisses the claims that the world will change via some awakening or financial meltdown. Remember, the Maya claimed that this would be the end of an era/age, not the end of the world.

Where is your proof that the Maya even REMOTELY thought about this time? Oh wait, that's right, you have none. If you had read the article I posted in my last contribution to the thread, you would see it states:

"The Maya did not think about humanity, global warming or predict the poles would fuse together," said Alfonso Ladena, a professor from the Complutense University of Madrid. "We project our worries on them."

The Mayans knew NOTHING of how the world is today. That is as factual as it gets. Stop projecting.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join