It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How often do you say it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
How often do you tell your parents that you love them?

I found this video on youtube and thought I share it with you guys.

Hope you like it!

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item or video,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Fri Dec 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thanks for that. During this time of the year, we need to be reminded. We need to be told. My neighbor committed suicide last week, and I think, "If I had just been a little nicer to her....."

My mom choked on a pill given to her by her home health care worker. I was called from work and followed the paramedics to the ER. When I walked in, the Doctor pulled me aside and imformed me that my mom had a Living Will with a "Do Not Resucsitate" order (DNR). They couldn't do anyting to help her, by law.

I sat next to her, with her caretaker, while she lay choking, dying, me sobbing. The worst day of my life. On my way home this was playing, still brings me to tears.

youtu.be...

Now, I say "I love you" to my daughter and everybody else that I care about so often, that I freaked my lawyer out when, signing off over the phone, the obligatory "I love you" came out. He was silent, then hung up.....

I LOVE YOU ATS!

edit on 9-12-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Im sorry, you had to go through that but i have to ask.......

You sat next to her while she was choking?

Umm DNR is effective only after vital signs have ceased, not if a person is in the process of doing so.....

If she still had vital signs, or was in the process of distress, and they did nothing, thats grounds for a massive mal practice suit........

Other then that, I agree with you, people that are precious to us should always be told so...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
My family and friends tease me because I end every phone call or visit with "I love you". I believe you should do this, because you just never know if you will ever see them again. How many times have you heard "I wish I they just knew how much I loved them"....but it's too late. If I walk out of my Mom, family or friend's home, or end a phone call, and something happens to me....I want them to remember the last words I said to them....I LOVE YOU..... S&F for you!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
My three sons never tell me they love me unless I say it first and I try to say it each time we part.

I think men/boys just aren't like girls..............they're taught not to express emotions.

Every morning before my husband leaves for work, I say, "I love you" and "Have a good day". Each night before we lay down to sleep, I say "Good night, I love you."

He is 67 with a aorta valve replacement and the longest living male in his family in the 200 years we have traced back except one Uncle who he is named after.

I've never ever heard his family say, "I love you" or hug. they air kiss like Hollywood stars do.......very aristocratic English.

I lost my mother at 9.

One day she was working (worked in a office up to a week or so before she passed).

Coughed up a tiny bit of blood (tiny tiny bit)

Went in for exploratory surgery (1963).

The doctor came out and told my older sister (13 years older) that she had anywhere from two weeks to maybe a month (lung cancer).

They let me see her the day after surgery thank God. I knew instinctively that would be our last moment together.

She died the following morning.

When you lose a mother at 9, never having a father - you become intimately acquainted with the Grim Reaper.

To all you young ones out there...............make your peace, try to forgive and not dwell on your differences and say "I love you" to your parents.

Honestly just those three little words can mean so much.

"The love you withhold is the pain that you carry". - Alex Collier.

Tomorrow, if my mother had lived, she would have been 101 years old.

She died February 23, 1963.

Not a day goes by I don't tell her "I love and miss you - may your soul be at peace wherever you are."

You never know - never part in anger with someone you love.

My husband says I love you sometimes but by his actions he shows me every day he deeply loves me....no fancy words, just simple little acts of kindness.

My mother showed me both, she was always kind and gentle and full of kisses, hugs and telling me I was the most important person in her life.................I remember telling her before I left her bedside, "I love you". I remember how her hands felt so soft, I remember her hugging me and her smelling like Shalamar, her favorite perfume. I can't remember the sound of her voice........I do remember she said, "I love you very much."

Again, I sort of knew this would be our last time together. She didn't act dramatic, that wasn't her style, I just knew.

You have to excuse me, I get funny around her birthday.
edit on 9-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I tend to tell my mother almost every conversation that I have with her. My dad isn't as open about showing his feelings. However, as he is getting older he is saying it more. I remember a couple times in the past on the phone I said as I'm hanging up, "I love you". He responded, "Alright, bye" lol

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
My father died when I was very young... I don't remember if I told him I loved him...
My mother never used to be big on hugs, but her grandkids got the better of her and in her last years she really liked to hug! She passed away very suddenly last year and I am glad that I told her I love her...
To my parents - I MISS YOU AND I LOVE YOU

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Are you sure? The doctor said that they couldn't perform, I think she said, "extrordinary" measures. They couldn't find the pill in her throat, so they would've performed a tracheotomy, which was "extrordinary"?

The paramedics were informed about the DNR, by the health worker when they arrived on the scene, so they didn't do anything but "mask" her. I think that's the right term, maybe its "bag" her, and I think was just an oxygen mask, but it may have been suction, not sure. It was a mask with a bag on it. They didn't perform CPR because it would have broken her ribs. They took to her to the ER by ambulance.

Yes, I sat beside her while she gasped for breath, staring at me and at the ceiling and then back at me, with a morphine drip for 5 1/2hours. (No bag or mask)

I didn't know about the DNR, as she had only recently signed it, at her home health care facility, and didn't tell me or my sister, who was 1200 miles away.
edit on 9-12-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
One last comment.

Don't go sending flowers to a dead corpse. The flowers you send are to make yourself feel better.

Send flowers to someone while they are alive and can smell and enjoy their beauty.

My husband, while he lay in the hospital recovering from open heart surgery, his two of three brothers and one of his two sisters and her husband came to see him and they brought him one balloon and stayed about five minutes.

A aorta valve replacement is not like cleaning out the arteries (his were clean)..........it was open heart surgery.

What hurts is that my husband of all his family members is the kindest and most gentle of the bunch. No agenda, no "what's in this for me" kind of guy.

The rest of his siblings are mainly "agenda oriented"..............I'm sure if we were worth millions they would have gushed all over him.

Sounds bitter...............but I guess this is a form of therapy.

edit on 9-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
My Parents?

Not nearly enough before they both passed many years ago. [I still talk to them and tell them anyways] I did however have a chance to tell them that I was grateful for their sacrifice for us kids a few years after I left home and started my own family while they were both still alive.

Now, I tell my children how much I'm proud of them and that I love them every chance I get.

You just never know....

edit on 9-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Oakislander

A star and a hug.................Yeah I know it must hurt. But men up until recently were not allowed to show "gushy" emotions. For the older crowd, it was thought of as a sign of weakness.

My husband didn't hug or kiss my three sons at all hardly.............but again, every day he showers us all quietly with his simple acts of kindness, his even, gentle temperament and how he treats us.

I guess, sometimes actions speak louder than words.

I do remember my husband helping to change diapers and helping with feeding time once they were weaned.

Those memories of such a big, strong, handsome, rugged man being so soft and gentle with our little sons softens my heart still.

edit on 9-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Both my parents are dead now, they were a wonderful couple.
My dad lived the longest of the two.
I had the luck to have the time to say goodbye and thank them for everything.
I now realise how lucky I was.
Sometimes a parent dies suddenly, sometimes they fade away into "dementia land".
If one of these happens you are to late to show gratitude and affection.

Take care and best to you all

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Glad you had the chance...........and wow, for English not being your native language, I am impressed.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

You had a difficult life, but it made you a wiser and nicer person.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It is very important to tell your family you love them. If you have family you are very lucky.

The only people to truly love me died when I was young. I was adopted and my older Sister adored me. The family split when I was about 6/7 yrs and my Sister was killed in a car accident. The other driver went through a stop sign and killed her outright - my Father was not permitted to see the car - we could not see my Sister as she had severe head injuries.

The driver of the other car went to court and lost a couple of points off his licence and was fined $500 - that is all my Sisters life was worth. We were just getting to know each other. I did not get the chance to tell her anything let alone that I love her - that opportunity was taken from me.

My Father was on one side of Australia and I was on the other when I got the call - as a diabetic his organs could not perform anymore and his system was failing. The nurse put a phone in the room while I held the phone unable to move or speak or even breathe. I spoke to him and he was soooo medicated he could only mumble - I said "I love you " - out of his pain and through all the medication he spoke clearly two words - "I know."

I had travelled the breadth of Australia to get to Perth airport - was in a car for three hours and as we drove into the carpark of the hospital I asked for the time - I was told the time and we headed inside. Everyone else lagged behind while I headed for the room - I just knew which one - he had just slipped away as I had asked the time.

Telling him I loved him was sooooo important - he gave another mans Child his name when as an orphan no one wanted me. He had an incredibly sad life and never became bitter and I never asked him for anything - ever. If I could have asked for one thing it would have been to live a lot longer. He is with my Sister and I miss them both. As for my adopted Mother - she told me it was not me she wanted - I tried to make my Peace with her several times before she died but she remained silent - I tried. All of her family have kept their distance. The natural mother does not think it is my right to know my family and does not want to know me.

If you are lucky enough to have a family then do not miss the chance to tell them how you feel. There is a beautiful short film from the Australian Tropfest Short Film competition - I will have my first attempt at uploading a film - it is a tribute to a Father and it makes me bawl everytime - it is beautiful and I think we can do with more beauty in the world.

Thanks for reading/listening.

Much Peace...for those who are alone, displaced, unwanted and who want to feel as though they need to belong...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
My children and I always exchange "I love you" before we hang up from a phone conversation..or before leaving after a visit.

I often say it to my friends and family as well.. but I have learned to add bro when saying it to a male friend...lol ..because it is like a love for a brother..and some just don't get that .

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Thank you so much for sharing your story Amanda!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Excellent post. You don't have your comments section open so I have to put this here in stead of there.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
My family has always been close and we never fail to say I love you or show appreciation for each other. When my Dad died, there were no regrets that anything was left un-said.

Sadly, we all think we have forever to say and do things. Even children die. We will all die at some point and you have no idea how young or old you will be. Now is the time to show your love.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I want to share a poignant and beautiful short film from TropFest 2011.
It is titled - The Unspoken.
My favourite line is - I love you in buckets mate!
It is very Australian lingo and where I cry.

Much Peace...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join