It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do these South korean building remind you of anything? 9/11???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
Lol, you all crack me up!
I for one enjoy the design very much, its modern, innovative and simply great architecture. For those who believe that this resembles the WTC towers, well, I shall not waste my time to formulate a fitting and humorous comment on how naive it is to think so.

I find it more disturbing that you seem to find joy in people having their feelings hurt and the fact that people are offended.

But hey, laugh away. They are the ones with the problem right?

See you around the boards, Chief.
edit on 10-12-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by Clairaudience
Lol, you all crack me up!
I for one enjoy the design very much, its modern, innovative and simply great architecture. For those who believe that this resembles the WTC towers, well, I shall not waste my time to formulate a fitting and humorous comment on how naive it is to think so.

I find it more disturbing that you seem to find joy in people having their feelings hurt and the fact that people are offended.

But hey, laugh away. They are the ones with the problem right?

Finding joy in people having their feelings hurt?
Come on, thats not a fair comment.
I don't see how one could be offended by the design of the buildings, I don't see anything that resembles an explosion nor a plane flying into these buildings. All I see is a smart and eco-friendly design, a new home for thousands and space for companies and institutions to thrive in. I applaude the designers effort and work they have put in, and I thank the investors who could potentially make this concept come true, as it represents modern architecture in its truest form and is a nice try when it comes to turn dull urban areas into something awe-inspiring and beautiful.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Pyramids? The estimated number of people who died as sacrifices at the pyramid temples of the Aztecs are estimated to dwarf the number of people killed at the WTC many times over. Aren't you afraid that someone might be offended?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I doubt any of us would care if they looked like the twin towers. But the twin towers on fire, is a horse of a different color and this building WILL offend people.

Please point out where you see fire for those who are unable to see it.
And your point with the nazi concentration camp, I mean, come on, you can't be serious. I'm actually feeling offended by your statement.

But I say this once again, its ridiculous to make the comparison with the Twin Towers, or feeling offended by the design. Its like being offended by Barack Hussein Obama's name, since the word in the middle is reminding us of a certain deceased individual in the middle-east who massacred thousands of people.
edit on 10-12-2011 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
Wow, so because terrorists attacked a couple of towers in NYC 10 years ago killing thousands, we can't ever have two buildings next to each other if they are a general tower shape?

Give me a break,it has nothing to do with the building having a general tower shape...Which they DON'T!

It looks like the twin towers after being hit by the planes. That is undeniable.

I doubt any of us would care if they looked like the twin towers. But the twin towers on fire, is a horse of a different color and this building WILL offend people.

They don't look like that to me. I mean, yes, I can see how someone might be able to interpret that from it, but to I, like Clairaudience, simply see a unique and space-efficient design for a set of tower blocks.

Do you perhaps think that the images of the 9-11 attacks we have seen countless times over by now have left such deep impressions on us that we're prepared to see these images reflected wherever we look?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just suggesting you take a step back and look at it from another perspective.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I see the exploding twin towers resemblance but that's not what bothers me. I just think in the daytime photo the design looks hideous and it does look unstable. The night photo looks a little better. I'm not a fan of this type of architecture though. I like flowing curved lines like the old buildings in DC have and what you see in the shape of the Empire State Building.

Did the architect/s ever state what the inspiration for this building actually was? I really don't see a cloud effect at all. It looks like a really trippy Lego disaster. Like some kid was smashing Legos on in a desperate attempt to keep the two towers standing up.
edit on 11-12-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: I forgot a few verbs. Its been a long day...

edit: ok never mind my question. I finally got the linked article to load and correct me if in my fatigue I'm misreading the following quote but there is no way this resemblance could be an accident:

The Weekly Standard (via Drudge Report) reports that even though the design firm said evoking 9/11 “was not our intention”, it may have been thought about more than it is being let on. Written in Dutch in the newspaper Algemeen Dagblad, the Weekly Standard reports Jan Knikker of MVRDV saying “I have to admit that we also thought of the 9/11 attacks.” The Weekly Standard also points out that the design for these residential buildings was created by Daniel Libeskind, who designed the original “master plan” for the reconstruction of Ground Zero.

edit on 11-12-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Ok so if the design was intended to resemble exploding twin towers, well that is just creepy. I know it's easy to hate America and apparently even fashionable to do so, but please remember America isn't about the spoilt self absorbed stereotypes we are often made out to be. Yes, that might describe some of our "elected" officials, who really are largely corporate puppets foisted off on us. But the real American people are a diverse group. We are a nation of immigrants from around the world and their children. So remember that before bashing any sensitivities we may have, and remember this tragedy took the lives of many non Americans, too, and we mourn their loss along with our own. So any intentional resemblance built into a residential design is going to seem incredibly tacky and disrespectful and we are going to say as much. That doesn't mean we expect we can tell another country they can't build what they want, any more than we have successfully eradicated our own buildings that look like a huge Nazi Swastika in satellite photos. We will complain about such unfortunate resemblances but at the end of the day, these creepy buildings get built or remain as they are, despite all the complaints.

Edit...have to correct myself. The Navy did get some money to try and remedy the resemblance of one of its buildings to swastika.
edit on 11-12-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
It could very well be that the towers were inspired by pictures of the exploding WTC, in fact I would be surprised if they werent. But I dont think the design is supposed to resemble the exploding wtc., they try hard not to with the towers being of different height for example. Its a nice idea actually. A lot of area is exposed to the sunlight very nice. The only drawback I can think of, if this style of construction where the buildings grow unto each other arching the street below becomes the wave of the future, future cities will be cast in permanent darkness.

Also the (south)koreans are a far cry from hating America on a massive scale. A videogame produced in America became so popular it became the equivalent of an national sport.
edit on 11-12-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
For crying out loud.....trust the Americans to make a mountain out of a molehill.

South Korea is NOT America. Neither is the rest of the world. Just because it has a passing resemblance to something that happened in your country that doesn't mean the rest of the world sees it that way. To expect us to is to once again prove to the world the extremity of American arrogance.
edit on 12/12/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't understand why people from other countries need to apologize to the United States for what they do in their soil and much less why they must build taking in consideration the feelings of the United States :S.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Jeez, calm down, it's not all Americans for crying out loud. Everyone is going to have an opinion on art and architecture and some will like to engage in discussion about it. In this politically correct world of ours we Americans and British and Canadians and Australians for that matter are expected to engage in a high level of sensitivity as to what might offend newer incoming citizens and residents of non white anglo Saxon origins within our countries and Asian and African and other regional sensibilities without. What's wrong with seeking a bit of reciprocation to the occasional western sensibilities or specifically American sensibilities that may be ruffled. What is arrogant about opening a dialogue on courtesy and sensitivity? The offended party may get an apology or may get an explanation that clarifies and removes any cause for offense.

I do know our government can be horribly intrusive and heavy handed. We have people protesting that on various levels. I'm not just talking about OWS, either. But in general the diverse aggregation of what is known as the American people really aren't deserving of being painted with one brush stroke as arrogant babies. If you visit here and see how in so many places and situations we try and accommodate diverse people's needs and sensitivities, you'd realize how unfair your comment is.
edit on 12-12-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typos

edit on 12-12-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Fixing unclear writing.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majiq
reply to post by needlenight

Hey don't make it an American thing please. I am American and very proud of that fact, but I see it your way completely. Not all of us are so self absorbed.

You are right, my apologies. I am usually not narrowminded, but I tend to be when it comes to America.
I know that most Americans are good people, down to earth and probably not too different from anyone I know.
I just really... really dont like America and what it stands for. I should not judge its people by that. I am sorry for being so judgemental.
edit on 12-12-2011 by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by needlenight

Originally posted by Majiq

Hey don't make it an American thing please. I am American and very proud of that fact, but I see it your way completely. Not all of us are so self absorbed.

You are right, my apologies. I am usually not narrowminded, but I tend to be when it comes to America.
I know that most Americans are good people, down to earth and probably not too different from anyone I know.
I just really... really dont like America and what it stands for. I should not judge its people by that. I am sorry for being so judgemental.
edit on 12-12-2011 by needlenight because: (no reason given)

Lol, no, "americans" are generally really self absorbed, the best proof is that they insist in calling themselves "americans" like they own the word and we the other hundreds of millions born in this continent but other countries have not right to use it even when that is the name of the continent and our right.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
ATS: 9/11 happened guys, design off the table for eternity.

The design from this perspective is similar to one instance in time. Many buildings have connections between them, this is how the wanted to do an area in the middle of this one. I think it would be awesome to hang out in.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MonteroReal

I hate it when people make that ignorant argument.

Name me another country with America in the name.
American's call themselves American's because they live in the United States of America.
Generally people refer to themselves by their country rather than their continent, but keep coming up with dumb arguments and we'll keep shooting them down.

Go ahead use it, just don't get furious when everyone else in the world assumes you mean you are from the United States of America, because you have some chip on your shoulder and think everyone in nearly two dozen countries should call themselves American's.

Say your are South, North, or Central American. No problem.
edit on 12-12-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MonteroReal

That is because "America" is in the full name of our country. What else are we going to call ourselves, the "Uniteds"? I (and others) have on this and other international forums at times taken the extra effort to remember to specify USA American in some conversations, where I feel courtesy warrants making that distinction, as a sign of respect to non USA citizens of other countries in the Americas.

Have those of you hating on Americans actually toured the whole vast country? Do you know here in Maryland there are neighborhoods and shopping malls where you can wander around all day and not hear more than a few words of English spoken? That was my experience in one mall, where I heard Korean, Chinese, some African languages I couldn't identify, and many variations on Spanish. My mom and I were the only ones talking in English, which by the way is not my mom's first language. She is an Asian immigrant and she loves America and her fellow Americans (including the ones from Canada like my Aunt Isabelle and our friend from El Salvador).

We have groceries dedicated to serving the international community. And even regular groceries make an effort to cater to immigrants from around the world. We have special outreach programs for the specialized medical and psychological issues of refugees. We have low cost clinics for the poor that are especially geared toward outreach to the Asian, African and Hispanic communities.

I'm not saying every part of the USA is so diverse and welcoming and inclusive but my home town is and I'm going to speak up for it.
edit on 12-12-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typos

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

sorry you beat me to it!
I didn't mean to repeat you.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

For all I know, most of America is probably an open and welcomming place, filled with good, kind and wise people. I am afraid however, that my view on America has been tainted by two things in particular.
- Stories of Americans, who have sued someone over something insane.... and won.
- Americas God forsaken reality tv shows. (Really US Citizens, those have got to stop, you are ruining generations)

I have never untill now, taken the time to actually think this through. And now that I have, it is kinda simple.
The regular people, normal people, good people are not worthy of being told about. So my highly judgemental view on America, comes from hearing about a crazy lady, who sued a company for not telling her that she couldnt dry her cat in a microwave oven. And a burglar who fell through the roof of a house he was trying to rob, and then sued the owner because of it. In the stories I heard, they both won. And there are many more stories like it.
Wether or not they are true, I never really took the time to find out. I was very young back then. But stories like that, combined with what I see Americans do on tv, in their reality shows... well, lets just say that Americans does not look too smart in the eyes of a European.

But I get it now (took me long enough) its bull#. Americans are probably not anymore different than me. I just never hear about an American going to work, to support his family, then come home to play with his kids and make dinner. Because that is not worth telling compared to the crazy lady who jammed her cat into a microwave oven.

So one last time. Sorry for my judgemental views. I was late to realise how stupid I have been for thinking that all of America was like that.

But seriously.. those reality tv shows... they gotta stop.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

I agree. But have you ever heard of "The Only Way is Essex" or TOWIE as it is also known? I have never watched it but I gather it is a reality show from the UK that rivals some of ours for depicting unsavory people. A lot of our reality show concepts are actually imports from the UK.

The so called reality shows are heavily scripted and edited and certainly don't reflect much about real Americans within their communities.

We do have some crazy lawsuits but they are not the norm on an average court docket. As anyone who has done jury duty can tell you, most are pretty mundane. And if you want to hold us to that standard, please reflect for a moment on the situation exposed in China recently, where a toddler was run down by two trucks and numerous witnesses refused to come to her aid, allegedly for fear that under their court system they would be held accountable for the crime and for her medical bills. As horrific as that was and as "real" as that was, I refuse to believe it reflects the values of the many Chinese across their vast country.

There is a lot to dislike what our government does in our name, hatred for that is legitimate. But please be wary of basing decisions on us on anything presented in pop culture and media sound bites. Depravity and shocking stuff sells.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by redNyx

Im gona start a bussines in london comuting passanger in blown up tubes and trains ill apologise tho so it will be fine

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join