It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people work for money...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The best thing about not receiving all of your 'reward' in a monetary form, or for me anyway, is that I nolonger pay Income Tax
This has been a goal of mine for sometime.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn
...instead of things to keep? Things consistant for modern living... Like: water, food, automobile, shelter, utilities, T.V., computer, phone, vacuum, etc. and etc.

What is the difference between giving you things to keep instead of money for work, so you can live decent?

I'd like a job that will give for me to use and keep a READY-MADE, FURNISHED COMPLETE HOME, so to speak, that comes with an automobile. Yep, instead of money that is what I'd rather get for working for some employer.

Really simple, the government can't make money off the barter system, because it gives power back to the people. They can hide it behind the whole "there are people who have nothing to offer" bs, but you only have to look at how many fingers (aka taxes) the government has in our pies to see they wouldn't benefit from such a system. Each time you purchase any of the things you mentioned, as well as working for the cash you are paid the government skims (or digs in more cases) it's stake, often before you even see your money.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Ha.

My boss sucks, he spends all his money on himself and his material goods. He rarely puts back into the company, and doesn't pay us enough. And he'd never help us out with things we need.

So I'll continue to collect the paper, so I can exchange it for cheap goods that will fall apart within a month.

. . . . as the world turns
edit on 12/9/2011 by eXia7 because: afterthought

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omphale
The best thing about not receiving all of your 'reward' in a monetary form, or for me anyway, is that I nolonger pay Income Tax

Please note that you are still required to pay taxes on the value of the items you recieved.Same as working for cash. Just because it's hard to prosecute doen't change the reality of it.

The main reason for money is simply convience. It makes it infinitely easier to trade goods. There is nothing evil or sinsister about it. The problem without money is how the supply of it is controlled. New money should be created for every act of production and service instead of fighting over the dollars that are already in circulation.Otherwise we keep producing with no real net gain to the economy. Any money that exists or is newly created that is not printed currency, is offset by debt which carries the additional cost of interest. We make more and more but our wealth keeps dropping. Money is not the problem, the money system is the problem.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Money is just a medium of exchange.

How do you pay a computer technician? How do you pay a movie script writer? If you're trying to create a barter society how can all the various occupations get paid.

Money. A value is assigned to your occupation. In a sense you trade your time of some dollars and then you can trade those dollars for all the things you need.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Any kind of work UNDER an employer, whether it be for money to buys needless things or for bare necessities, is slavery.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

Originally posted by WarJohn
...instead of things to keep? Things consistant for modern living... Like: water, food, automobile, shelter, utilities, T.V., computer, phone, vacuum, etc. and etc.

What is the difference between giving you things to keep instead of money for work, so you can live decent?

I'd like a job that will give for me to use and keep a READY-MADE, FURNISHED COMPLETE HOME, so to speak, that comes with an automobile. Yep, instead of money that is what I'd rather get for working for some employer.

Really simple, the government can't make money off the barter system, because it gives power back to the people. They can hide it behind the whole "there are people who have nothing to offer" bs, but you only have to look at how many fingers (aka taxes) the government has in our pies to see they wouldn't benefit from such a system. Each time you purchase any of the things you mentioned, as well as working for the cash you are paid the government skims (or digs in more cases) it's stake, often before you even see your money.

In most cases, and my strongest objection to compulsory PAYE taxation, you have absolutely no control over how those monies that you contribute are spent. You do, to some extent, by elected government, but in most modern governments, Britain especially, there are elements of national funding that are not the remit of that government, or certainly not to sole remit. The decision to go to war, for example, is seldom a decision solely for the elected government. As there is no option to opt out for the pacifist or concientious objector, the only other alternative is to cease paying tax by earning an income below the taxation limit, but that is no limit to live on.

By accepting a non-monetary reward for my labour I have found a way to not pay income tax but still have a reasonable, liveable income. Both needs and principles met without too much compromise either side. Even my employer has tax free, non-profit status.

The simple fact is, there are ways to make the system work for you, ways to gain a position in which to enact change, ways to set an example, but you will never achieve anything, but the run of the mill ordinary, if you begin with a defeatist attitude. You find what you are looking for.

Where there's a will, there's a way. As they say.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by Omphale

Please note that you are still required to pay taxes on the value of the items you recieved.Same as working for cash. Just because it's hard to prosecute doen't change the reality of it.

Not if it is integral to your doing your duties, and therefore considered less of a reward and more of an inconvienience. It just happens, in my case, to be a reward. It is much like the old 'tied' system, I sacrifice some rights that tenants for example possess. Hence it is not actually considered part of my income. It's not a 'tip' or 'bonus' or 'provision',so not considered in excess of my income. It is compulsory to my employment.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Erm .. without money there is no consumerism, without consumerism there is no drive for innovation. That means without consumerism, ie, money, there would be no computers, cell phones, flat screen TV's, huge houses and automobiles.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
You could go out to the country... maybe the west, and go to work on a farm or ranch. Work for room and board... 3 squares a day... maybe a smoke... have fun.

As for making money and taxes... work under the table... lots of folks do it... sell firewood for straight cash, work on cars, such as that. Get cash and pay no tax... purest form of capitalism.

I use money because thay won't trade or barter usually... sometimes they might trade a load of wood or hay for corn or seed, but they pay their bills with cash... so I have to pay them with cash... and since most of the modern world is not like the Waltons or Mayberry... I have to use cah, which means I get paid with cash. It would be kinda' hard to direct deposit a chicken.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join