It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people work for money...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
...instead of things to keep? Things consistant for modern living... Like: water, food, automobile, shelter, utilities, T.V., computer, phone, vacuum, etc. and etc.

What is the difference between giving you things to keep instead of money for work, so you can live decent?

I'd like a job that will give for me to use and keep a READY-MADE, FURNISHED COMPLETE HOME, so to speak, that comes with an automobile. Yep, instead of money that is what I'd rather get for working for some employer.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Some employees had a life like that some time ago. The employer provided all their food, shelter, clothing, health care etc... There were no cars, so they did not have those. They were called slaves.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Cause no one pays in cows and chikens anymore?

Anything can be used as money, so long as there is a need among others with that same monitary item.

btw, you do realise that kinda commie talk, right?

Though, a gathering of basic needs would be wonderful for every minimum wadger out there. But if we had it all up front, we wouldnt have the want to work if we already have the pleasantries

edit on 9-12-2011 by theRhenn because: typos

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Some employees had a life like that some time ago. The employer provided all their food, shelter, clothing, health care etc... There were no cars, so they did not have those. They were called slaves.

Or farm hands... Doesnt always have to revert to slaves. Workers were often treated just as bad as slaves, even here in the US of A. Hell.. Employers still do... Its just not with whips anymore. Now it's taxes, fee's, dues, etc.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

I see where you're going but the idea however it is extremely impractical. Lets say for example I work at a car showroom. It's much easier and much more efficient for the showroom to pay me with money to exchange for what I need as opposed to them paying in goods (i.e food, shelter, appliances, electricity, fuel etc).

Also theres the issue of choice, people like to have control over what they own etc.

What you describe is essentially the description of peasantry. Peasants lived in homes on land owned by the landowner, worked on the landowners farms and were given a share of their produce. They worked to survive and nothing more. Thats not a desirable way of life.
edit on 9-12-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I think once we devise an alternative to currency-based, monetary economies where we have to work for things, we -- the human race -- will move forward rapidly. But what IS the alternative? I wish I knew. I have tried to come up with one, but I am not clever enough to do so. I think there is something to be said about so-called 'resource based economies', but the concepts I have seen so far seem, without meaning to disparage them, a little idealistic. (Not in the sense that they are impractical from a technical standpoint --from my novice viewpoint, they appear quite feasible in that respect -- but from a psychological one, that is to say humans have not transcended the cultural and societal conditions that, so far, have rendered any non-monetary system completely unworkable.) Most people cannot envisage any 'non-financial', non-monetary-based system because, for obvious reasons, we are all inculcated by what we have today and cannot see past it. I also want to add that I think an alternative to what we have today is not only feasible, but unavoidable, due to resource scarcity and so on. We would all prefer any such system to be realised for the betterment of humankind, but unfortunately I do not think that will be the case.
edit on 9-12-2011 by Maskirovka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Rather that We work for Betterment, and let free energy (electrogravitics) free Us to seek Our bliss, with robots do the necessary things none (or not enough) of Us want to do. More info on how is available here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Labor (in any form) in exchange for something of value is the most basic of concepts.

But I'd prefer a compact form of payment such as currency or numbers increasing by wire in my bank account.

Goats and chickens are just to damn smelly to herd into the trunk of my car.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Obviously, people need cash for drugs, what else?

But seriously i agree with you, money is stupid, why do i sell good things for pieces of paper?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Because at some point I'd like to retire...and I can't retire by saving up vaccums.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
People work for money because that's the system in place. Money is a bartering tool in which to get the goods and material needs you need or desire.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Why we work for money is because we give more value to the materials on earth then that we value life itself. And when we give a few nothing, and others a bit more then other alot more and a few way to much so that we create division among humanity. Others have almost nothing, some have way to much. Does who have nothing can easily fall into a trap of negativity, by trying to do anything even to get a few dollars.. Which is why in alot of area's in our world, people seem to be rather going downhill instead of climbing uphill.

So if we would ever want to change this, we need to revalue and re-invent our way of trade. Bannish money, no more monetary system. But a system based on our Identity develope the Outerweb that instead of logging on bankmachine with your creditcard, you rather log on with your ID card. By that this new system will know what you
have learned at school and what work you are interested in doing.

If we input all our data of our ownselves into this system with everything we create, we own, we do and we make so that the system can calculate a fair balance of suply &
demand all over the world. So without any input to the system, you aint getting output. And that would mean we would be able to solve alot of problems if we could create this
system. Because computers do calculate alot faster & better then all of humanity combined.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Money tricks the human mind into feelin better then others in society or feeling lower then others in society. SO you can use this skill to get the human species to work EXTRA hard for payment and if they possess EGO then they will work even harder for money. In the end you have people stressed well those who stress going to work everyday taking time from family life which only make sfamily stronger to go get a buck. this weakens the species of man and allows for Control mechanisim to be placed in thier conscious. And the Utopia you speak of WaJohn remains a dream that seemes impossible to reach as a species...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Perhaps, because it's a horrible idea? If you only worked for things instead of money, you wouldn't have the freedom to decide what you want to do with what you've earned. With money you can increase your possessions through investment, you wouldn't be able to do that if you were paid with amenities. You would basically be reliant on your employer, instead of having the ability to take what you've earned and earn more. I would rather not be a serf, which is more or less what your idea would lead to.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think that money came about to replace goods and services and to purchase the same.

Say for example, that you are a candle maker. It is all you know to do. Since you can only make candles, what will you feed your family? Well, you can trade some candles for food, but the person who exchanges food for candles will only need so many candles.

The solution is to exchange as many candles as you want for money. At one point in time, not so long ago, a paper dollar was worth a gold amount. now, it is "legal tender", so it is not worth much considering that it can be printed without any actual "gold" or valuable backing it up.

I could print a dollar with my name on it and declare it legal "to me". That is what "Fiat" currency is and that is what we have nearly across the globe.

Long story short, money is just a thing to exchange for goods and services. What your money is worth depends on the economics conditions.

See what Ron Paul has to say about this

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nesta

What makes you think the employer wouldnt want the best for an employee?

Surely surely they would if they want to look good and be "the" number one place of employment to work for..

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn
...instead of things to keep? Things consistant for modern living... Like: water, food, automobile, shelter, utilities, T.V., computer, phone, vacuum, etc. and etc.

What is the difference between giving you things to keep instead of money for work, so you can live decent?

I'd like a job that will give for me to use and keep a READY-MADE, FURNISHED COMPLETE HOME, so to speak, that comes with an automobile. Yep, instead of money that is what I'd rather get for working for some employer.

I think it verges a little too close to feudalism. There is a fine line between that and the barter system, in hearts and minds. I get my accommodation with my job, and paid on top of that too. I'm not even close to complaining.

(The furniture is mine though)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Well those who want to work for things to use and keep can do so with those who want to work for money. Both can co-exist together. Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Goods and services would be worth their weight in gold over money. Money loses value.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If I could send the government a bunch of pelts and some bags of grain to cover my property taxes I'd quit working for money today.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join