It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My New Black Olive, Jalapeno, Sourdough Bread is soooo easy...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Many will remember the base recipe from my other survival bread thread...(Made a rhyme there...
)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyway, just had to show my latest concoction. I used a sourdough starter this time, added some black olives, jalapenos and a touch more garlic...

Bam!

The best thing is that the sourdough starter cut the rising time in half...Woo-Hoo!

A good thing to remember is that the starter can be saved, fed and used for as long as you need to. Carry it with you when the SHTF and you will always have bread. I believe the oldest starter known in the US is about 200 years old. Many have 50 - 100 yr old starters.

Care and feeding of your starter monster!
www.joejaworski.com...

For those that missed it, here is the original:

Grab a pail!

Literally, just throw in:

8 cups white flour
4 cups multigrain flour
For the batch in the pic, I used 12 cups 60% Whole Wheat flour. Turned ok as you can see. Heavy but delish!
1.5 tsp yeast
If you are using the starter, cut the yeast to 1 tsp.
.5 tsp course salt (table salt will do)
.5 tsp sugar
1 tbsp each garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, and rosemary.

mix all dry ingredients in the pail

add 6 cups warm water and mix until combined, no more. I use my hands.

cover with the pail lid, but NOT TIGHT or it will explode when the yeast acts up.

Leave it over night.

In the morning divide into 4 equal parts without kneading. It will be sticky and goopy. That's ok!

DON"T add more flour!

I coat 4-9 inch cake pans with flour tho you can use bread pans too.

Sprinkle corn meal on top and put in a preheated 400 degree oven. Bake 25 mins, turn the oven down to 350 and bake for an additional 25 mins. Rotate the pans at the midway mark as ovens have weak and hot spots.

My ovens are professional convection ovens so you will have to experiment on yours but trial and error will produce fantastic results!

An outdoor oven can cut the baking time in half depending on the style.

If only a good loaf of plain bread is desired, leave out the spices. Also works great for a raisin bread or anything else you want. Experiment!

Makes 4 loaves.

Here's a good starter:

Ingredients

* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 2 cups warm water
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 Tbsp Honey or Molasses

Directions

1. In large non-metallic bowl, mix together dry yeast, 2 cups warm water, and 2 cups all purpose flour and cover loosely.
2. Leave in a warm place to ferment, 4 to 8 days. Depending on temperature and humidity of kitchen, times may vary. Place on cookie sheet in case of overflow. Check on occasionally.
3. When mixture is bubbly and has a pleasant sour smell, it is ready to use. If mixture has a pink, orange, or any other strange color tinge to it, THROW IT OUT! and start over. Keep it in the refrigerator, covered until ready to bake.
4. When you use starter to bake, always replace with equal amounts of a flour and water mixture with a pinch of sugar. So, if you remove 1 cup starter, replace with 1 cup water and 1 cup flour. Mix well and leave out on the counter until bubbly again, then refrigerate. If a clear to light brown liquid has accumulated on top, don't worry, this is an alcohol base liquid that occurs with fermentation. Just stir this back into the starter, the alcohol bakes off and that wonderful sourdough flavor remains! Sourdough starters improve with age, they used to be passed down generation to generation!

Enjoy!

edit on 9-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Nice thanks for sharing, I just had my first black olive bread (it had a different name I can't remember) and it was awesome! A little garlic olive oil to dip it in and wow that stuff is good!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
reply to post by jude11

Nice thanks for sharing, I just had my first black olive bread (it had a different name I can't remember) and it was awesome! A little garlic olive oil to dip it in and wow that stuff is good!

Nice!

The peppers add a nice zing to it as well...Ate a whole loaf in 2 days...

Peace

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I wanna make this right now! S & F!

But, I have to make the sour dough starter first!

One question though, is the yeast that you are referring in the recipe (1 1/2 tbs) the sour dough starter, or plain yeast? When and how much starter do you use or add?
edit on 9-12-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Instead of using white flour in the recipe....would using all whole wheat flour be ok?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by jude11

Instead of using white flour in the recipe....would using all whole wheat flour be ok?

As a matter of fact, forgot to mention that in this batch I did use a 60% whole wheat flour. Haven't tried 100% but should be ok. It will be heavier but hell, it's a dunking bread!

Let me know what your results are...

Peace

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I wanna make this right now! S & F!

But, I have to make the sour dough starter first!

One question though, is the yeast that you are referring in the recipe (1 1/2 tbs) the sour dough starter, or plain yeast? When and how much starter do you use or add?
edit on 9-12-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

That is the plain yeast. I used a cup of starter and fed my starter monster 2 cups to keep it happy.

I will perfect this recipe in a few more batches so for now I advise 1 tsp (not tbs) yeast and a cup of starter.

I'll let you know in a day or 2 what I have done differently as I am trying to get it lighter. It's real heavy and I like that but not everyone likes heavy bread.

Good luck!

edit on 9-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks!

I just made the starter, just now! So I'll be ready to bake in about 4 days, hopefully.

I'll be checking this thread for further advice on this recipe. Your other bread thread is in MY ATS, and I have been meaning to look it over to make some Jewish Corn Rye bread for the holidays, but kept putting it off, because it calls for a sour dough starter. YEAH! I finally started a starter!

Thanks for making it so easy for us. It's all down hill from here!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Thanks!

I just made the starter, just now! So I'll be ready to bake in about 4 days, hopefully.

I'll be checking this thread for further advice on this recipe. Your other bread thread is in MY ATS, and I have been meaning to look it over to make some Jewish Corn Rye bread for the holidays, but kept putting it off, because it calls for a sour dough starter. YEAH! I finally started a starter!

Thanks for making it so easy for us. It's all down hill from here!

Good for you!

Don't be shy and try a loaf in 1 day, then 2, 3 and finally 4. Just a loaf.

It will work in the earlier stages.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yeah? It's only been about an hour and alread the starter is a little bubbly and has a few of brown spots on the top.

To make 1 loaf should I just cut the recipe by 1/4th, and add the starter from the get go? Also, so you add the olives and such from the get go too? Because normally, I would add them at the second knead, but you don't do a second knead.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Yeah? It's only been about an hour and alread the starter is a little bubbly and has a few of brown spots on the top.

To make 1 loaf should I just cut the recipe by 1/4th, and add the starter from the get go? Also, so you add the olives and such from the get go too? Because normally, I would add them at the second knead, but you don't do a second knead.

Yes, cut the recipe but you might want to make it all at once and just cut 1/4 out. Leave the rest to rise again.

I added everything at the end and folded lightly.

Next time I will let it rise again for about 2 hrs so as to make it lighter. Trying a batch of white right now actually.

Peace

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

OMG Im starving now...

This looks and sounds DELICIOUS! I love me some bread and black olives well don't put a can infront of me or I'll eat them all!

The only thing I dont have are black olives in my kitchen. I will have to get some and try this. I just made some Italian herb bread the other day with my stroganoff, it was pretty good.

This bread would go GREAT with my Mblah's Chicken Enchilada Casserole It is like a Mexican (but not really) style lasagna! I haven't made it in a while but next time I do I am gonna have to add this bread to the menu!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by jude11

OMG Im starving now...

This looks and sounds DELICIOUS! I love me some bread and black olives well don't put a can infront of me or I'll eat them all!

The only thing I dont have are black olives in my kitchen. I will have to get some and try this. I just made some Italian herb bread the other day with my stroganoff, it was pretty good.

This bread would go GREAT with my Mblah's Chicken Enchilada Casserole It is like a Mexican (but not really) style lasagna! I haven't made it in a while but next time I do I am gonna have to add this bread to the menu!

Any olive will do. Add some onion as well. Little cheese anyone? Parmesan of course.

Sky is the limit when experimenting.

BTW, made the white flour sour dough by just making a simple bread dough, forming the round loaves and then adding 1/8 cup to each ball. knead it in and throw it in the oven on a pie pan or flat cake pan etc. No rising time here.

They blew up to three X the size in minutes!

400 degrees for 10 minutes (throw some water in the bottom of the oven in a pan) Gets the steam going. Shut the door.

Then turn down to 350 for 45 minutes and you have some nice sour balls!

Fantastic!

new topics

top topics

join