It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are all in heaven NOW

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Again, unconditional happiness is possible it is just a matter of perspective. If you feel bad, if you feel unhappy, you can just change the perspective to get happy again. It's so simple. Life was made so simple.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Perspective in hedonism is "pleasures of the senses".

You are saying those sensual pleasures is why this is "heaven".

You are soooo shortsighted and naive.

Selfish doesn't begin to describe...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by arpgme

Perspective in hedonism is "pleasures of the senses".

Actually, perspective is just perspective, and hedonism just says that "happiness is the only virtue"

Therefore a hedonistic perspective is one which makes the person happiest!

Everything is so simple, don't over think things... unless you want to of course.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Hedonism is the way, THIS IS HEAVEN!

he·don·ism (hdn-zm) n.
1. Pursuit of or devotion to pleasure, especially to the pleasures of the senses.
2. Philosophy The ethical doctrine holding that only what is pleasant or has pleasant consequences is intrinsically good.
3. Psychology The doctrine holding that behavior is motivated by the desire for pleasure and the avoidance of pain.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Heaven?
No.

Selfish?
Yes.

Realistic in life?
No.

Childish?
Yes.
edit on 12/10/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Damn you for being so nice
lol

Personally, I believe we actually do live in Heaven & Hell. It's what we make of our lives. God and the Devil are inside us (they're not actually real, they're just metaphorical).

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Again, unconditional happiness is possible it is just a matter of perspective. If you feel bad, if you feel unhappy, you can just change the perspective to get happy again. It's so simple. Life was made so simple.

The problem with this thread is that you used something which is well defined (heaven) and are trying to place upon something (the world) that doesn't fit that definition.

For example the Fritzl case where a father kept his daughter and step daughter locked in a celler for 24 years as sexual slaves. Should they have just changed their perspective so they could be happy.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I do not mean to insult your "heavenly ideology", but what an absolute waste of time and storage

Ideology

ETA:
In all fairness however, you believe this to be true...it just doesn't work for me. I'll still give you a star for your universal thought.

edit on 12/10/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: After Thought

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

This is the definition I am using:

he·don·ism   [heed-n-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
1. the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the highest good.
- Link

Hedonism is believing that happiness is the only good/virtue.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

If being honest doesn't make you happy, then lie and that is good? That's virtuous?

If helping someone in need out doesn't make you happy, ignore them and walk by -- and that is good? That's virtuous?

Your "heaven" (yes I will say it again) is irresponsible and selfish/childish.

So live your life thinking that and let me know how Your "heaven" works out for you and those around you in a few years.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Now, this thought is something I agree with...but, the literal use of "heaven" for me doesn't work.

I get your point

Literal

ETA:
After a second after thought, I gave you a flag.

edit on 12/10/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: Second After Thought

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Do you really not know the answer to these questions?

Read the definition again.

I know that if I keep practicing this philosophy I'd be happy, since happiness is what is valued...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

This is the definition I am using:

he·don·ism   [heed-n-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
1. the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the highest good.
- Link

In Philosophy, I quote:
"Hedonism: the thesis that pleasure is the highest good: that only pleasure has value... Note: Pleasure is not the same as happiness, so hedonism is not the same as eudaimonism, the thesis that happiness is the highest good."
--Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Blackwell Publishers, 1996
edit on 12/10/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: the question in the other post should have been obviously rhetorical as a means of making a point, which you missed.

eta: In layman's terms, all you are saying is "If it feels good, do it" when you say

Hedonism is the way, THIS IS HEAVEN!

Quite the opposite in truth.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I've enjoyed your exchange of philosophies with the author. I think the two of you are very engaged and doing a fantastic job!

I hope you and the author keep up the good work

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I already told you I was using the definition as given by the dictionary, and that is the pleasure OR happiness as the highest good. So it fits. I looked up the definition of eudaimonia and it says "a state of contented happiness", not one gave a definition of it as a philosophy... so the word hedonism is much more fitting...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

After my third after thought, I have found this thread actually an enjoyable read. I retract my statement about it being a waste of time and storage.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

so the word hedonism is much more fitting...

I studied philosophy, so if you want to use terms in incomplete and misunderstood ways, your argument starts to fall apart.

If you really follow Hedonism as a philosophy and call it "heaven" you are misguided.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

This thread is focused on the general public (ATS) not knowledgeable philosophers like you and I, that's why I chose to use the definition from the dictionary.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

knowledgeable philosophers like you and I,

It must give you pleasure to call yourself "knowledgeable" then, eh?

Even if you know it isn't true, if it makes you happy, according to you it is still "virtuous"?

eta: I do not consider myself knowledgeable. I am just an eternal student who will never achieve true knowledge.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I call myself knowledgeable because it's true. I study this stuff for years and it is my addiction. If I felt like what I said weren't true and I felt like I was ignorant on this subject, I'd just learn more, or if I had no desire, I'd just talk about things which I actually knew about and revel in my awesomeness for knowing those things...

It's possible to be happy in reality. That's where I am.

You may be a student, but you are already very knowledgeable, and so am I, and I am still learning, honestly, and that is awesoeme...
edit on 10-12-2011 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Well I have said all I have to say on this.

I disagree with you, but I realize any further discussion will be fruitless.
edit on 12/10/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: spelling

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join