It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombshell Report Links Water Contamination To Fracking For The First Time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Bombshell Report Links Water Contamination To Fracking For The First Time

www.businessinsider.com

In a first, federal environment officials today scientifically linked underground water pollution with hydraulic fracturing, concluding that contaminants found in central Wyoming were likely caused by the gas drilling process.

The findings by the Environmental Protection Agency come partway through a separate national study by the agency to determine whether fracking presents a risk to water resources.

In the 121-page draft report released today, EPA officials said that the contamination near the town of Pavillion, Wyo., had most likely seeped up from gas wells and contained at least 10
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well, it's official folks, not that we need them to tell us what we have already known.

The first question that comes to mind is whether or not this will pave the way for class action lawsuits against the "Frackers"?

Another question that comes to mind is if they will stop fracking near underground water supplies? The answer is probably no since money talks and everything else walks.

What really gets me is that it took them this long to figure out that it's harmful. My guess is that they have known for a long while but due to recent pressure they had no choice to admit it.

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
If you pump toxic chemicals into the ground.....well duh! Of course your going to poison the ground water. AND where they are fracking is the largest aquifer in the mid west.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

What really gets me is that it took them this long to figure out that it's harmful. My guess is that they have known for a long while but due to recent pressure they had no choice to admit it.

lol, oh yeah they knew. And they know a lot more too.

How 'bout we keep the pressure on?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
No to mention the dramatic increase in mini-earthquakes, dead birds, dead fish, in and around fracking sites

Is fracking behind Oklahoma’s earthquakes?

The strong correlation in time and space as well as a reasonable fit to a physical model suggest that there is a possibility these earthquakes were induced by hydraulic fracturing. However, the uncertainties in the data make it impossible to say with a high degree of certainty whether or not these earthquakes were triggered by natural means or by the nearby hydraulic fracturing operation.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I wonder if all the fracking in the general area has the potential to affect the New Madrid fault line. I'm not much of a geologist but I have heard many people on ATS mention it. There has been a lot of fracking near Yellowstone too from what I hear, it would be a shame to contaminate that area, or even worse.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Good point! I often wonder if oil companies are just retarded or they just don't give a sh$t. Then I think that it's all about the almighty dollar. (which is really worthless paper)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The EPA report is makes clear that the geology of the Green River Formation and the Marcellus Shale are very dissimilar. The gas bearing zone in the Pavillion area is at a depth of around 1000ft. This is very close to the groundwater aquifer with some of the local drinking water wells dug to a depth of 800’. According to the EPA’s report, they were injecting directly into the aquifer. I cannot for the life of me understand why the Wyoming DEP even allowed this.

Those pushing this will try their hardest to link the preliminary results in Pavillion to the Marcellus but the Marcellus shale deposit is a completely different beast as the EPA states. It is several thousand feet under the aquifer. Two peer reviewed studies, on of which utilized baseline pre drilling water quality data, surveyed 100’s of wells in Pennsylvania and found no contamination from fracking fluids. Amazingly enough, neither one of these two studies got anywhere near the sensationalistic attention that we are seeing today.

edit on 9-12-2011 by SirMike because: me stupid

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Not to change subjects, but this may open a whole new can of worms.

Just a theory of course but WHAT IF they knew and are knowingly polluting our ground waters and Aquifers? Perhaps all part of the Big plan? Shrug. Just a new thought to throw around.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I won't make the usual comment I see here and say I'm "100% convinced" that frakking is causing problems like earthquakes and aquifer contamination, but it sure is suspicious.

These quakes are pretty shallow, which in itself is fairly rare.

But the sad reality is that Natural gas is our energy future, we have found massive amounts of it. One person who works in North Dakota in the gas fields told me that they burn off enough gas to power Chicago everyday because they have no way to store it and they need to bleed off the pressure.

Now wouldn't it be nice if our scientists weren't tied up with nonsense like Global Warming and fixing problems like this one?

Cars can be converted to natural gas for a few thousand dollars, and they are just as safe as gasoline powered cars, only much more efficient and cheaper to operate.

Imagine if our leaders had given $575,000,000 to convert cars to natural gas instesd of on a failed solar company.
edit on 9-12-2011 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Existing thread located here

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

hello correx.....oops! again, hello corruption exposed.

thanks for the thread. it was only a matter of time before this became official and the numpties in the halls of decision realised there is NO remediation of toxic groundwater/substrata.
this is akin to injecting bleach into the sub-epidermal of ones own skin. gaia is a serious consideration for me and i'm sure the endeavour will be paid back and then some.

in previous threads i posted information and links when i contacted the authorities in a nearby uk county to express my concern and distaste for this process. i got the usual 'we are scrutinising this situation very closely'
stock answer. then tremors occured and operations ceased whilst a further risk assessment was carried out. it was reported that the operation started up again not too long after.
when i find the email address, i shall present this as further evidence of consequences relating to injecting toxic substances into the fractured shale layers.

regards fakedirt

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

I couldn't find anything about this during my search. I find it odd that the report my article mentions came out today. So yesterday's thread was on leaked information? It seems to discuss similar findings but my source mentions the report being released just today.

I wouldn't have started this thread if I had known about the other one, but since this thread is based on more official information that came out today perhaps it can remain active. It's up to the mods I guess.
edit on 9-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Hopefully your local authorities will have this looked into, but if they're anything like North American officials they will follow the money

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

sometimes it takes tragedy for things to change. the planet is going through a 'death by a thousand cuts' process with unknown outcomes. the more people connect and spread information about the 'cuts' the better imo.
it's a pity most officials will be retired or dead by the time significant immediate risk of ecosystem collapse becomes apparent and thus be immune of accountability.

gaia to shale drillers, 'frack off!'

f.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
The EPA report is makes clear that the geology of the Green River Formation and the Marcellus Shale are very dissimilar. The gas bearing zone in the Pavillion area is at a depth of around 1000ft. This is very close to the groundwater aquifer with some of the local drinking water wells dug to a depth of 800’. According to the EPA’s report, they were injecting directly into the aquifer. I cannot for the life of me understand why the Wyoming DEP even allowed this.

Those pushing this will try their hardest to link the preliminary results in Pavillion to the Marcellus but the Marcellus shale deposit is a completely different beast as the EPA states. It is several thousand feet under the aquifer. Two peer reviewed studies, on of which utilized baseline pre drilling water quality data, surveyed 100’s of wells in Pennsylvania and found no contamination from fracking fluids. Amazingly enough, neither one of these two studies got anywhere near the sensationalistic attention that we are seeing today.

edit on 9-12-2011 by SirMike because: me stupid

Good point, I bet weak laws and de-regulation had something to do with this.
Oversight and regulation are needed; especially in the areas of oil and gas production .
We have candidates that want to eliminate the EPA. (As well as many necessary agencies)
How's the water going to taste if they get they're way with that?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WilburMercer

Good point! I often wonder if oil companies are just retarded or they just don't give a sh$t.

Where do you propose the oil used to make the gasoline that powers your car come from?

Like it or not - for another 50 years, at the least, the industrialized world is going to require massive amounts of oil to function.

It's not just gasoline - plastics, tar for roadway construction/maintenance, lubricants - just to name a few. All of these are required in massive volume, and while alternatives do exist that come from sources other than oil... none of them can even approach the volume necessary to supply current demand.

All the while - demand continues to grow.

Then I think that it's all about the almighty dollar. (which is really worthless paper)

It's not about the dollar. It's about economics. Resources like oil are in high demand and essential for the normal function of society as it stands. The more scarce it becomes - the more valuable it is in relation to other resources available.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I bet with $11+billion a quarter in profits
they could find a way to extract responsibly .

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
reply to post by Aim64C

I agree with you, in fact they should extract responsibly regardless of whether they make a profit or not. Our well being should be the number one priority, not resources or profit.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
reply to post by Aim64C

This is why we have so few jobs now, the big guys are cutting corners and getting away with it.

If BP had used all the failsafes it was supposed to in the gulf the spill never would have happened.

Same thing is happening here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join