It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporate Blood Testing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Our business was just consumed by a larger corporation. As part of orientation HR mentioned a corporate blood test that will be offered. They are going to pay us $25 dollars to participate, which tells me this is not mandatory--Yet. My question is, are they covered by HIPAA rules and can we be refused employment for pre-existing conditions? In my case Type 1 diabetes could be seen as to expensive, or too much of a risk to keep on the payroll. My plan is not to participate at this time and to go kicking a screaming if made mandatory. Any advice out there?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I wouldn't. Too much private info that maybe used against you some how in the future. The company is too cheap to pay for it? I think I would start looking for another job.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

They should be bound by the rules of HIPAA, but what they do with that info behind closed doors is another story.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

This link will tell what is under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).

If you and a few of the co-workers feels that the corporate blood testing is invading your privacy, You may want to contact your state insurance commissioner's office to ask about the law where you live and see what else the States cover than is not under the HIPAA, many States are very good adding more rights to workers.

HIPAA's is a federal law that:

Limits the ability of a new employer plan to exclude coverage for preexisting conditions;

Provides additional opportunities to enroll in a group health plan if you lose other coverage or experience certain life events;

Prohibits discrimination against employees and their dependent family members based on any health factors they may have, including prior medical conditions, previous claims experience, and genetic information; and

Guarantees that certain individuals will have access to, and can renew, individual health insurance policies.

HIPAA is complemented by state laws that, while similar to HIPAA, may offer more generous protections. You may want to contact your state insurance commissioner's office to ask about the law where you live. A good place to start is the Web site of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners at www.naic.org.

www.dol.gov...

I believe that the testing can be only enforced if you signed documents during employment submitting yourself to those test.

edit on 9-12-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
Our business was just consumed by a larger corporation. As part of orientation HR mentioned a corporate blood test that will be offered. They are going to pay us $25 dollars to participate, which tells me this is not mandatory--Yet. My question is, are they covered by HIPAA rules and can we be refused employment for pre-existing conditions? In my case Type 1 diabetes could be seen as to expensive, or too much of a risk to keep on the payroll. My plan is not to participate at this time and to go kicking a screaming if made mandatory. Any advice out there?

What the hell do they want to test you for anyway? And they PAY YOU? This means they are making money off of it.

This is an alarming practice to me... Why isn't it alarming to you?

edit on 9-12-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What kind of corp do you work for? Why are they saying they need the blood? if its a chance you could be exposed to something they could be using it as a baseline then test the effects on you with out your knowledge

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
In this insane modern world, the corporation wants to see which of its slaves are healthy, and which ones have the potential to become a financial liability down the road. If they were only concerned about your health, they would simply recommend that employees get to their doctors and have a complete blood panel done.

I had a big problem when, during the Reagan administration, they pushed urine testing, at the same time that Poppy Bush was invested heavily in Lilly Pharmaceuticals, the company who came up with a quick but only semi-reliable urine screening. The Bush family made a lot of money from what is now standard practice for everybody. I can see airline pilots, bus drivers, etc., but office workers who only push paper? Janitors who only push a broom? It was all about the money, and a great many people were disqualified from employment because they ate a poppy seed muffin, took ibuprofen, or happened to stand too close to somebody at a party who was smoking not tobacco but something else.

Now the corporations are pushing to get more invasive. It's never about our health, and it is ALWAYS about money. I agree with you, don't do it. So far, they cannot require a blood test for corporate employment, but you know that's just around the corner. If they can collect your urine, it's only a small leap to require blood as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Refuse. I always refuse. When it becomes mandatory, I will quit my job. I feel for ya on the takeover thing. I am going through that as well. These global corporations want to crawl up your butt, then act surprised when they find crap.

But wouldn't you want to know if the livestock you just purchased were healthy?

I may be speaking from under a tin-foil hard-hat here, but I think all of the bloodwork is just the harvesting of your positive genetic attributes. They will make more suitable replacements for us. Un questioning, subservient shells of pseudo-humanity.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
What they do with that information behind closed doors is exactly what I'm afraid of. Again, this isn't mandatory yet and they are paying us to participate in the blood test as part of their Wellness program. Do I really need someone calling me on the phone telling me that my cholesterol is to high? What's the point of having my own Doctor, if this corporate "gatekeeper" is going to take on that roll. This Gatekeeper may prevent or place on a disgard list, the hiring of people based on genetics or expensive pre-existing conditions.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Isn't HIPPA a costly intrusive government regulation?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

They won't be doing anything to your blood. They will give you a release of information, thereby not breaking any HIPPA rules they will be able to see the results of your blood test.

If you are still paranoid at what will happen to your blood then find out where and who is doing the procedure, call and inquire about it.

Are you sure they are giving you 25 dollars and not reimbursing you the money?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
If they ever made giving blood samples mandatory in order to 'check your health out', employers should start asking to see all their accounts in return. After all you wouldn't want to commit to a dodgy company that might go bust soon.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

It also allows people's children to get medical care without parental permission or knowledge.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
They may be also trying to find the blood type of the participants... The company who is taking over is not Japanese by any chance? Blood types are big with Japanese companies as they believe blood type affects personalities.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The company I work for "offers" a discount on your health insurance premium if you submit to a blood test, health screening and work with a health consultant if you are deemed to be "unhealthy". People around here lined up for it to get the discount. I actually convinced several to not go because who the hell knows what information is being shared behind closed doors.

The industry I work in is prone to layoffs and I wouldn't be surprised if the next round cuts loose the people that were deemed "unhealthy". But apparently the vast majority at my employer don't even consider that a remote possibility.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Does your company offer any kind of health and wellness benefit? Like gym membership discounts or discounts on prescription lenses? If so, they might be considering a contract with a CMR company: Consumers Medical Research. Or maybe the take-over company already has a contract.

Basically the organization buys a contract and offers it as a benefit to their employees. If you have a pre-existing condition, or if you or your spouse develop one, the CMR will act as an advocate and provide you with current accurate medical research, information on meds, treatments, legal, etc.

Maybe the blood test is optional because participation in the CMR program is optional? I don't know. I would assume the take-over company would give you that information along with the blood test option.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
What they do with that information behind closed doors is exactly what I'm afraid of. Again, this isn't mandatory yet and they are paying us to participate in the blood test as part of their Wellness program. Do I really need someone calling me on the phone telling me that my cholesterol is to high? What's the point of having my own Doctor, if this corporate "gatekeeper" is going to take on that roll. This Gatekeeper may prevent or place on a disgard list, the hiring of people based on genetics or expensive pre-existing conditions.

Or charge you more on your health insurance.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Just from my own experience when I did work for a Fortune 500 Company (outsourced job to India a little over one year ago).

They offered a wellness check at a very very low cost, including blood test etc.

I did not participate because even though the company hired said the information would remain confidential, I was and still am skeptical.

I have a doctor and go to him. So far, with the patient / doctor privacy agreement I believe my information is safe. (I have nothing to hide, am healthy for 58 except high blood pressure which began in my early 20's when I was thin, very active and ate healthy).

Now, my husband's work has a free health screen and he jumps right on it.

I worked for 16 years for a Insurance based company that serviced large corporations.

In my humble opinon, no they don't care about you..................you are a commodity like the chair you sit on or the PC you are using.

I don't trust corporations, I've seen how the heads of corporations think.

That's just my own opinion.

And eventually every aspect of our life will be on a data base somewhere.

However, if you have nothing to hide, like drugs, vd, etc...........live a healthy life style and can't afford good medical care - a blood screen wouldn't hurt. At least you would know your cholesterol levels, etc.

But, I don't trust the majority of corporations period.

We are nothing more than items to be used and when they find someone cheaper or we become "less productive" we are discarded just like a old PC.

One last thought comes to mind as this is a conspiracy site: A couple vials of blood could be tested for many things you may not be informed of.

There have been many instances where we have not been told the full truth in the past.

edit on 9-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

who the hell knows what information is being shared behind closed doors.

Good reply..............something to think about.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies and advice peeps. My gut tells me to avoid this intrusion and I always go with my first instinct. As a type 1 diabetic I get my blood tested all the time so no new information could be obtained that I don't already know. This information could only be used to hurt me in some way, I can feel it.
This is a prime example of why I like working for a sole proprietor and not a corporation.

Now I'm just a cog in the corporate wheel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join