It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eurozone leaders reach new deal without backing of Britain

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

And the USA is in just as big a mess as Europe - the politician are just doing a better job of deflecting attention from this fact.

It does make me laugh that yesterday we had Geithner (?) doing the rounds in Europe telling us we are naughty for running such deficits! Pot, kettle, black anyone?

China is also hiding problems - investors seem to be waking up to this fact.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Errrr... There's only one country joining the Euro zone, and it's Croatia (in the summer of 2013). I really don't understand where you get the idea of 9 countries joining... The countries you're talking about (Bulgaria, Czechia, Denmark, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania & Sweden) have all agreed to a stricter budget discipline. They leave the eventuality of joining the EU open but are first going to consult their respective parliaments. They also agreed to starting the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) as of July first 2012. A fund of 500 billion € to back up the European economy.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So I've been glued to CNBC, and this one guest commentor a few minutes ago (rapidly) said "Cameron wont give up sovereignty, wont give up the pound,.." What? Like he is -supposed- to? Screw that, lets dispense with this giving up our sovereignty and indigeonous currency talk. It doesn't work. It's bad.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by multichild

Personally I take this as something that suits both sides of the Channel.. the UK maintains it's financial center and Europe uses it's new off shore banking facility

edit on 9/12/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

Star for this! I totally agree that this could be great for both of us but i also fear it may be a sneaky way to hide the same problems for a few more years - you know, following the same financial action plan as last time (fingers and toes crossed whilst shouting please loudly).

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The reality is setting it . . . Cameron was the only leader with the cojones to say in a room what more and more of these 'partners' are saying just hours after the supposed Euro-saving agreement . . .

“People are starting to realize that what has been announced has already been relatively well-known,” said Charles St-Arnaud, a foreign-exchange strategist at Nomura Holdings Inc. in New York. “The issue that we have is that every single country in the euro zone has to approve the rules and you’re already starting to hear countries not keen to lose sovereignty like that.”

Source

There's pretty much a consensus brewing that participant countries won't get the mandate necessary to implement austerity measures required in the agreement, not will they be at all accommodating to the requirement to fess up a whack of dough as their share of the 200,000,000,000 bailout fund required as part of the deal.

Again, it appears that only Cameron had the big-n-hairies to say, Thanks, but no thanks.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

You don't have to tell me, the US knows that if the EU zone goes Kaboom! so part of the US fake economy goes with it, this will also takes China as they has not been able to recuperate from the mess they were involved when the US housing bubble crash back in 2008.

But remember that US has an advantage over other nations, we produce oil, this advantage backs the dollar, also our government keeps the UK backing their own currency because their ability to produce oil thanks to US exclusive contracts.

The whole agenda behind the US and UK is been able to stay afloat while the rest of the EU falls or that is what they think to accomplish.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
No matter how hard you try to polish a turd, it won't shine.

And If you get enough desperate people to agree the color of orange is black, it will be so until they stop BS themselves.
edit on 9-12-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

As I understand it, this result is not good for Britain. But to have signed up would have been even worse.

Just like Germany declaring war on Britain was not good, but for Britain to have sided with Hitler would have been even worse

Cameron was deliberately put in a lose lose situation but the Franco-German Pact. But we held out against them twice before and we will again.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

As I understand it, this result is not good for Britain. But to have signed up would have been even worse.

Just like Germany declaring war on Britain was not good, but for Britain to have sided with Hitler would have been even worse

Cameron was deliberately put in a lose lose situation but the Franco-German Pact. But we held out against them twice before and we will again.

LOL, Britain declared war on Germany, not the other way around.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
In the case of cold hard realities of misuse of sovereign loans by corrupted and inept leaders in EU, Cameron did what he had to do, to make sure UK will not get caught out like Germany, to pay for other's ineptitude.

UK is better off alone. It still has its own pound. And more important, is its pecious human capital. I do agree that its generous pensions and social expenditure do need a bit of trimming, but certainly not its outright slaughter of today, or it will only kill any chance to grow its own GDP. Without the people, UK is nothing.

Starve them and it will be the end. Help them and the sky is the limit. There is no need to mollycoodle the people, but only to give each and everyone better if not equal OPPORTUNITY in life, leaving none behind. Education is the most important factor in creating opportunities, for the young to the old.

Social problems by society at large are not liabilities, but only cries for attention to be helped. It can be solved. All it needs is bit more creative thinking, empathy but not molly coodling.

The fear by UK being alone in Europe is that trade opportunity will become lesser. At this stage of European regression, that fear would be unfounded. It's time UK follow what its adventurous ancestors did - take on the world in trade, through advancement in science, tech and quality.

It aint the end yet. Not by a long shot.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I suppose if those 26 countries are OK with the Euro Central bank monopolizing their monetary policies, making profits over the disparities between economies, and otherwise forcing their globalist agenda on the planet... then go for it.

I still think that national sovereignty is the only thing keeping fascism and oligarchy from entrenching itself permanently in human affairs.... yeah, without it some thing could improve.... but I bet you they won't... not even for a short while.

Also, just int he way of a pssing guess.... the EU in it's entirety will now be treated to "austerity" because of others..... but this time it will be legislated austerity... and once initiated.. it will NEVER end.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I suppose if those 26 countries are OK with the Euro Central bank monopolizing their monetary policies, making profits over the disparities between economies, and otherwise forcing their globalist agenda on the planet... then go for it.

I still think that national sovereignty is the only thing keeping fascism and oligarchy from entrenching itself permanently in human affairs.... yeah, without it some thing could improve.... but I bet you they won't... not even for a short while.

Also, just int he way of a pssing guess.... the EU in it's entirety will now be treated to "austerity" because of others..... but this time it will be legislated austerity... and once initiated.. it will NEVER end.

Which is exactly why, after the initial jubilation over a 'perceived' heroic save of all things Eurozone, folks in these countries are going to sit back at say . . . .. hey . .. . .HEY . . . WAIT JUST A FRIGGIN' MINUTE HERE . . . .

Not only will the precious Euro be in a peck of hurt, so too will a number of politicians as they roast their fannies in burning parliament buildings.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by flexy123

Sadly while it "looks" like a big win is nothing but more countries that are up to their neck in debt and joining more in debt nations trying to find suckers to bail their governments out.

The UK will never render their sovereignty to the EU dictatorship, they have their own currency, why give away the only way that your country can prosper economically?, when you have you own currency you can devalued it and increased it to suit the financial and economical needs of your nation.

when is a monopoly of one currency, only the countries with the power of printing like Germany and France are the ones manipulating the other nations economies.

The EU is a failing experiment that is going to bring down the entire global markets when it hits its final expiration.

Then who is going to bailout the in debt countries that are now under the EU?

Right now the EU is begging from help from countries like China and the US (IMF) to keep their debt going, that is how desperate the situation is.

totally agree, it's just a big facade to lure in more idiots into the gaping debt hole. Germany want's more than anything for this to stay because loosing it means their currency would value much higher than it is. they are essentially riding the EU for money at the moment.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by trustnothing
yep within 10 years well buy them up for pennies and theyll all be in the pound, course they may all destroy each other in a war before then

Looking forward to this. Fancy a pad on the Riviera (not fussed as long as its not the english one!), somewhere near Frankfurt and a chalet in the alps for £20.

Don't knock Torquay...

That's my native neck of the woods... Palm trees in England, you bet!

But as said before, this is likely to be a good thing for us, in the long run. The Euro is doomed and has been from the start. Fiddling about with it now won't stop it going down.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Hmm. I predict the end of the North American Corporate State, re-drawn to include Britain.

.....Wonder what they'll name it now?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
somebody rightly called it a sinking ship...seems to me this disaster has been going on for the last what? 3 - 4 years and more now... look at the last 6 months. Euro looking bad and the US Dollar looking good.. US GDP just shrank some more...Investors trading up and down and making money both ways ...MY BOTTOM LINE same countries will still be broke tomorrow and USA is one of them

All I see is a panic to stop panic ........nobody is calling a spade a spade on the vacuums sucking liquid out of the consumer ....

Solution:::::::want what I have,,,, cause its survival mode now,,,BABY!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
not joining was the lesser of two evils. While I have no love of cameron he did make the right decision. Although I think he'll probably be scapegoated for the fall of europe now even though that makes no sense.

The U.K. should leave the eu now, it never worked. We have everything we need to go it alone, sure we won't be a super power like the eu but honestly were we that good as a super power.

I'm not opposed to joining another country by the way, only to joining a government as corrupt as the EU's.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
hm.. it looks like I will need to move to the UK haha. Hungary and Romania already increased the VAT to 20-25% , i wonder if life in Eastern Europe I will get even harder?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Those sneaky Germans.

How can a country who twice lost the battle for European economic control take the reigns on a new 'Euro-superstate'. You have to admire how they done it. Using the Euro to shore up there 'defences' while letting the PIGS accumulate mass debt, which they knew would bring the 'Zone' to this crisis.

Welcome to the forth reich. (sponsored by the French)

ALS

ETA: I must say well done David Cameron!
edit on 9-12-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

The EU wanted to be a super power, but what they have ended with is a failed experiment that have robbed its members of their sovereignty, their currency and have them now in debt to their neck unable to survive everyday life without some kind of promise of a big bailout.

The situation have not way of been fixed is not exit plan without collapsing, the UK knows this and that is why no taking part of it, why will you want to be part of a failed system? right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join