It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eurozone leaders reach new deal without backing of Britain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Big WIN for Merkel - 9 *more* countries join the Eurozone! UK only country who is out!

us.cnn.com

A majority of European leaders agreed early Friday on a new deal to try to resolve the continent's debt crisis, but Britain refused to back a broader treaty change.

The 17 members of the eurozone, which share the embattled single currency, reached a deal for a new intergovernmental treaty to deepen the integration of national budgets. Six other EU nations supported the deal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Fri Dec 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: title of thread must match title of source

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Sorry i had to copy the CNN article which is not entirely accurate yet.

My source is a German paper, they're updating right now.

9 MORE EU countries joined the EU zone today and agreed with the Merkel/Sarkozy plan - the UK is the only country left out!!

Today, Hungary, Czech and Sweden retracted their doubts.

This means that from 27 of the EU states, 26 are agreeing with the plan - EXCEPT the UK.

The UK will be the only country in the future not part of the EU zone and without the Euro!!

Getting 26 of the 27 countries is a big win for Merkel/Sarkozy.

us.cnn.com
edit on 9-12-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

How much of a win is it though?

The City of London will not be bound by the same constraints, meaning that all the big Euro banks will continue to trade in the City as it will be cheaper and they can make more money.

Might actually work out rather well for us in the UK.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

The UK will be the only country in the future not part of the EU zone and without the Euro!!

Getting 26 of the 27 countries is a big win for Merkel/Sarkozy.

We never have been part of the euro, Why the hell would we want to join a sinking ship ????

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Epic Failure for Merkozy...

The ''agreement'' or the new ''treaty'' will REQUIRE THE MODIFICATION OF EVERY CONSTITUTION for all those 26 countries.

Only a delusional person will believe that the PEOPLE will accept this ##snip##.It will be national ballots, than parlametary ratifications...ALL THIS ##snip## takee A LOT of TIME....wich EU (well, the now dead EU) have not.

The 2 major things expected from this meeting have never even get to the table : an EURO bond and a new EU treaty.

What we have now, its a mere interguvernamental accord...what a joke

Watch the markets on Monday...

edit on Fri Dec 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
yep within 10 years well buy them up for pennies and theyll all be in the pound, course they may all destroy each other in a war before then

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by trustnothing
yep within 10 years well buy them up for pennies and theyll all be in the pound, course they may all destroy each other in a war before then

Looking forward to this. Fancy a pad on the Riviera (not fussed as long as its not the english one!), somewhere near Frankfurt and a chalet in the alps for £20.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Sorry Brits, i don't understand your rantings really.

Yes it is true that you never wanted the Euro - for you NOTHING has changed!

So..what is all that screaming about?

It's also true that "we" have to deal with our Eurozone problems alone - but this is also not different to as what it was before. Merkel/Sarkozy made it clear they don't "need" the UK...so from a certain point of view it was rather sad but irrelevant that Cameron did not agree.

The funny thing is, in the past people were complaining and screaming SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE to save the Euro (which you would hopefully agree with!) - and now Merkel/Sardozky *are* doing something, although DRASTIC, with the goal to save the Euro. Easy as that.

What would be the alternative? I think they do the right thing.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
So does that mean we don't need a referendum now in the UK?

Cool

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I agree, if they want a fiscal union they have to reach agreement to effectively save it.

What we Brits have our knickers in a twist about is that although not in the Euro, we are always expected to help pay for it. Why should we when we do not use it? It makes no sense when you look at it. You do not pay your neighbours' mortgage for them do you? Also, the new treaty that is proposed would have meant surrendering more domestic powers to the Eurozone. This is not a problem if you are a member but as we are not, why should we give up more domestic powers for something we are not part of? That would make no sense whatsoever.

I believe in the EU as a societal collaboration, a combination of nations aiming to unify our shared goals and work together in harmony on many issues. We in the UK never signed up to a fiscal union though and that is why we are happy with this outcome.

It is not about being anti euro, anti europe or any other moniker. It is simply a celebration of the fact that for once an elected leader has listened to the people (although i suspect it has nothing to do the people and more to do with ignoring fellow party member MP's who could make life difficult).

I genuinely hope Europe sorts the situation and this doesn't lead to any recriminations aimed at the UK.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Just been driving around, and all I can hear on British radio is that this a nightmare scenario for the UK and we have isolated ourselves.

Which is it, is it good or not.

We got labour saying its a disaster and a lack of leadership skills from Cameron and then people on the radio saying we need europe, then I come on here and its all good news for the UK.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Sadly while it "looks" like a big win is nothing but more countries that are up to their neck in debt and joining more in debt nations trying to find suckers to bail their governments out.

The UK will never render their sovereignty to the EU dictatorship, they have their own currency, why give away the only way that your country can prosper economically?, when you have you own currency you can devalued it and increased it to suit the financial and economical needs of your nation.

when is a monopoly of one currency, only the countries with the power of printing like Germany and France are the ones manipulating the other nations economies.

The EU is a failing experiment that is going to bring down the entire global markets when it hits its final expiration.

Then who is going to bailout the in debt countries that are now under the EU?

Right now the EU is begging from help from countries like China and the US (IMF) to keep their debt going, that is how desperate the situation is.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
They haven't decided to join the eurozone exactly though, they have just decided to support the draft that was proposed. It's still a core of 17 EZ members and now 26 EU states. It's up to the UK now to decide how they want to proceed.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by multichild

The EU is in so much debt that they would never be able to recuperate, the UK is nothing but another honey pot so the EU can used for financial help, that is why the UK doesn't want any part of it, why give away their own resources to an Union that is bound to fail and take with them all those countries in debt to their neck.

The EU is nothing but a dictatorship behind all the so call "prosperity" they hid behind that motto to lure countries when the pact was done years ago, now is nothing but a pool of nations with nothing to offer but debt and more debt.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Is it France and Germany trying to save their own knecks by spreading the debt of 17 countries over 27 countries instead, and so spreading the risk.

I remember a speech by Gordon Brown where he said that Britains destiny is to play a major role in the New World Order.

So is this a big play in the long term ambitions of countries to be top dog. UK will now see to it that the Euro fails, or is there something else to this with our friends across the pond.
edit on 9/12/11 by multichild because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Big WIN for Merkel - 9 *more* countries join the Eurozone! UK only country who is out!

us.cnn.com

A majority of European leaders agreed early Friday on a new deal to try to resolve the continent's debt crisis, but Britain refused to back a broader treaty change.

The 17 members of the eurozone, which share the embattled single currency, reached a deal for a new intergovernmental treaty to deepen the integration of national budgets. Six other EU nations supported the deal.

the winner is us, the British!

The EU is a scam, I'd like a referendum to leave it for good! it won't affect us if we did, in fact we'd prosper as too much red tape is currently in place to make sure all the corporate gangster get a fair slice of the action, hence stifled/limited trade treaties,

British goods are amongst the most highly rated, so as long as we have the best in class/quality goods we'll be a richer nation than the open prison called the EU

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

As I understand it that's essentially what they are doing. Trying to create a fiscal union to tackle the debt crisis and 'keep Europe afloat'. But since we're not part of the Eurozone and we intend on maintaining our own currency Cameron vetoed because it would mean accepting some pretty stringent regulation of our financial sector (a large chunk of our GDP) by the European powers. I think thats about right.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Personally I take this as something that suits both sides of the Channel.. the UK maintains it's financial center and Europe uses it's new off shore banking facility

edit on 9/12/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by multichild
Just been driving around, and all I can hear on British radio is that this a nightmare scenario for the UK and we have isolated ourselves.

We got labour saying its a disaster and a lack of leadership skills from Cameron and then people on the radio saying we need europe, then I come on here and its all good news for the UK.

Is this the same Labour that were trumpeting keeping us out of the Euro whilst at the same time paying millions a year in secret honeying us up to pave the way for entry to the Euro?

Or squandering all our cash and leaving us in such a mess?

Or leaving notes in office saying "sorry, there is no money left" - that one alone shows such utter contempt for us the population it should make them unelectable at least until all those responsible are no longer serving MP's.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by multichild

good is bad and bad is good

didn't you know?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join