Is US Minimum Wage really $7.25?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

2 million is a lot. Plus, figure that once you get a 25 cent raise, you are no longer making minimum wage so you are nudged slightly above the 2 million. You still can't survive though.
edit on 9-12-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

answers.yahoo.com...

Remember the question was directed at Ron Paul? I was watching the debate.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch

answers.yahoo.com...

No one was cheering at the thought that someone would DIE. That is an absolute mischaracterization of what happened.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Salamandy

That only seems to be about 0.5%, mostly teens, I'm sure. If it was closer to 20% or so, that would be terrible. But 0.5% seems pretty standard. However, those stats are also about 3 years old so I would assume with the 2008 crash that it is worse.

Regardless, it still looks like Aussies have a lower average household income than Americans. So while their minimum wage seems to be higher, the average intake of income still seems to be lower:

en.wikipedia.org...

Either way, cool thread. Learned some new stuff, which is always good.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
reply to post by theovermensch

You watch a gop debate and hear people cheer at the idea of letting the poor die because they are poor.

No, you don't.

That has never, EVER, happened.

NO ONE at these debates cheers at the thought of poor people dying.

I won't get into the rest because I don't have time now, but I had to call you out on that one.

It may not be exactly what they were cheering for, but here is the footage:

It isn't a far stretch making the statement that they cheered on the death of the poor, because, after all, who can't afford the coverage : The Poor. So it's just common sense.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

Originally posted by theovermensch

answers.yahoo.com...

No one was cheering at the thought that someone would DIE. That is an absolute mischaracterization of what happened.

Text After a pause, Blitzer followed up by asking “Congressman, are you saying that society should just let him die?” to which a small number of audience members shouted “Yeah!”

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
cheering for poor people to die is perfectly acceptable if you love jesus and gratuitous tax cuts.

edit: mark my words, we WILL live to see the day in america where humane euthanization will be called for against the poor.

other then that, I will say I like alot of the things australia is doing though after seeing you guys let our pres and company preach their BS soo openly. yall might wanna be a bit more reserved before getting too complicit with them. many a country has gone to pot following our lead.
edit on 9-12-2011 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I must concur. Pretty interesting thread!
My main point is whatever country you live in, the idea should be that the minimum wage provides you with a minimum comfort, livable wage.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I must concur. Pretty interesting thread!
My main point is whatever country you live in, the idea should be that the minimum wage provides you with a minimum comfort, livable wage.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
It really depends on the cost of living in a region. In Canada each province has their own minimum wage. Ontario's is $10.25 in Alberta its around $15. In Ontario the cost of living is high. Utilities are high,sales tax is 13%, property tax is through the roof, insurance costs a fortune, fuel is $1.25 a litre. The average price of a home is 300k . You can't live on $10.25 an hour here. Its impossible. I live in a small northern community that had nothing and average price of rent for a small apartment is around $800 monthly plus utilities. Groceries for a single person is around $400to a month and that's being cheap. Beer is costly, smokes too. Everything. Most jobs here are only part time.

Alberta mind you has a cost of living almost triple that of Ontario. Quebec is also higher for goods but living is cheaper.

I have always heard stories about the us saying the cost of living is much cheaper. I could be wrong. But it would account for a lower min wage.
edit on 11/12/9 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

That only seems to be about 0.5%, mostly teens, I'm sure. If it was closer to 20% or so, that would be terrible. But 0.5% seems pretty standard. However, those stats are also about 3 years old so I would assume with the 2008 crash that it is worse.

Regardless, it still looks like Aussies have a lower average household income than Americans. So while their minimum wage seems to be higher, the average intake of income still seems to be lower:

en.wikipedia.org...

Either way, cool thread. Learned some new stuff, which is always good.

We are ranked 2 on the UN human development list which takes into account wealth,health,education...
britishexpats.com...
We also have a gold plated AAA credit rating.

We dont pay our CEOs as much as you guys,maybe that is throwing the income stats out? It just seems that the poor in America are treated badly from healthcare to education. It seems there are alot of Americans that dont see that.
edit on 9-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

The problem is not with the minimum wage its the availability of jobs that pay above min wage. Where I live the statistics are 60% of all wage earners in the city make below poverty line wages. This is just the people who work. Not including those on welfare and disability benefits. There are alot of folks on the social system here. There is a housing project always within one mile of another housing project. Tons of them. Most of the jobs available here are retail/restaurant/service industry. All part time. So much poverty here. Tons of violent crime and a massive drug culture.

link   
reply to post by theovermensch

OMG can I move to Australia?!

Yea minimum wage here in the states is a joke, you can't live off of that! I won't lie I have and it's not easy and I am a single person with no kids. It's hard to live off that I can't imagine someone with a family.

link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
cheering for poor people to die is perfectly acceptable if you love jesus and gratuitous tax cuts.

edit: mark my words, we WILL live to see the day in america where humane euthanization will be called for against the poor.

I agree with your assessment, and raise you that pretty soon we will see our children working in factories again and our wages will be down to $.37 yes that period is where it belongs. 37 cents is what our wage eventualyl will be, I see us really degenerating to a society like that of China, the great equalization of the world is what is being sought here, and will commence if no interruption is formed...also agree that nobody should follow our lead. What I beleive that every country and every person, be the leader, do not depend on following anyone. This usually causes trouble to the follower, and I have personal experience with this, from being a follower in the past. Didn't turn out too well, and usually got me in trouble.
edit on 9-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)
edit on 9-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: fix paragraph was looking wierd?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
also, if you work fastfood, you better not be trying to pay your bill and feed your kiss.
They will keep you just under full time hours, and your hours will fluctuate. Sometimes working 2 days a week, sometimes 5. And you hve to be at their beck and call... Dont say no if they call you in.

I'm getting ready to go back to work soon. Having spent the last 4 yr raising my babies. I have 2 yrs to go if I want. We need money though. And i'm to dang old to work fast food. Thats probably where i'll end up though. and it will barely cover daycare for my 2 kids at home

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Americans are being crushed under the jackboot of psychopathic leadership while simultaneously strangling on their own stupidity. Ultimatley the country is just a huge free-for-all, it always has been ("freedom" has more than one meaning...), like ants swarming over a huge mountain of sugar. Seriously, that in a nutshell is the story. And now the sugar is mostly gone and there are a lot of angry, jonsing ants just piling over each other. The US economy has become autocannibalistic, everyone has a scam and a hustle and an angle to survive. That's what its come to but the blame spreads in so many directions from the highest to the low there is little anyone can do but stand back in awe, nodding your head at how amazingly, beyond-belif screwed we really are.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Its tough out there. Me and the wife were in the same boat. I needed her to get a job once our youngest was two because we simply didn't have any money left. She could only find min wage for 25 hours a week. The cost of running a second vehicle so she could travel to work (60 km a day round trip) plus child care costs pretty much ate up what she was pulling in leaving us back at square one.

Its crazy we are making 50k yearly and even though we are doing better than 90% of the people we know we still don't own a house (can't, impossible) and can't afford vehicles that were built this century. My newest car is a 2002 impala, it has over 230k on the odometer now and I don't know what I will do once it goes which will be soon. I can't finance and buying old beaters is a ton of work in repairs and costs tons of money. Thankfully my job allows me to bring a company vehicle home but the car is her lifeline. She is in school now and if it dies she can't go to school anymore because the only daycare available is out of the way, the transit service here can't be relied on, its still on a 1950s schedule.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The concept of a good or low minimum wage or a minimum wage at all is entirely fictitious.

The values used to determine a livable one or a poor one are completely dynamic and in many ways arbitrary based on too many variables of no concrete worth.

The value of currency, the relative cost of living, the additional expenses other than room and board all make minimum wage relative.

For you $7.25/hour may be meager pittance. For me $7.25 may be more than adequate. For how long will that reality stay as currency value fluctuates and cost of living fluctuates?

Next week for me $7.25 may not cut it while for you $7.25 might be more than enough.

Since what cuts it for me differs from what cuts it for you should your minimum wage be higher than mine? Maybe it should be a flat percentage of the average cost of living? What if that percentage doesnt cover my greater than average cost of living? Should your lower cost of living result in an adjusted minimum wage of $5.25/hour and my higher cost of living result in an adjusted wage of $9.25/hour? Is that fair? Are you okay with that?

Why not make the minimum wage a round $25.00/hour?

Minimum wage is imaginary.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I live in the U.S. in the area that is commonly referred as the "Gold Coast" (The area between Boston, MA and New York City). More specifically I live in Fairfield County, CT which by many standards is much more affluent than most of the U.S..

- My one bedroom apartment costs me $1325/month and it's not even close to being "up scale".
- Electricity (average) = $60/month
- Cable TV / Internet = $109.00/month (Middle tier plan)
- Mobile Phone = $130/month (Yes, I own a iPhone)
- Gasoline for my car averages $225/month (My car is 8 years old)

Right there alone I pay $1850 each month!

Minimum wage in Connecticut is $8.25 (State trumps Fed) an hour. Working full-time I would only make about $1430 each month before taxes.

I'm not wealthy by any standard (at least by Fairfield County standards), but I make a living. Some months are good, others I just scrape by. Prices on everyday things keep going up. Food has increased in price by 40% in some cases the past year.... I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to afford to live where I am.

My point... I don't see how anyone could live off minimum wage where I live.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

What I love is when all these greedy companies raise their prices to compensate for the extra money they lose. Tim Horton's raised their prices at the last increase even though they turnover billions in profit every years, Walmart as well, just about all the big companies. Fast food isn't even that affordable anymore. Its around ten bucks for a combo meal now where it was only around half that a decade ago.

Every time the damn govt raises sales tax too. Always under the guise of job creation. Canada loses jobs like crazy though lol.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join