It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last night the Moon was so Bright, that you can read a Newspaper in it's light.[WTB]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Last night I was wake up by this powerful brightness.I didn't know at first what it is ,I was a little scared,but when I look out the window, I see this bright Moon just like a Sun in the night.
I went out and I look at the Moon.My eyes just hurt ,like looking at the Sun.
I made this experiment .I took a newspaper and I read it very clearly in the light of the Moon.
I couldn't sleep at all, just thinking why the Moon is so bright.
Did any one notice something like that?
edit on 9-12-2011 by diamondsmith because: light

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I didn't notice it personally but I woke up with these text messages from my best friend this morning: "There's a giant [snip] halo around the moon" "Like hadron collider size"

He said it looked super bright and like it had a huge ring around it. Although I told him I thought the ring was just probably the light coming through a cloud.

He'll be glad to know he wasn't the only one who noticed it.

edit on 9/12/11 by masqua because: Removed censor circumvention

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

Glad to see some one else to notice that,for me it look like a second Sun.Thanks

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Ive seen the moon very bright before (easily possible to read a paper under its light) although never as bright as a sun, which no offense op, i suspect is a slight exaggeration..

the halo around the moon is completely normal aswell.. it is a refraction of light caused by ice particles in the upper atmosphere..

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

The moon can produce interesting optical effects when conditions are right. The most common of which are moon rings, moon bows, which are similar to rainbows, moon dogs and moon pillars. A rainbow is produced when sunlight is refracted through water droplets - A similar effect is produced when moon light refracts through ice crystals. Folklore has it that a ring around the moon signifies bad weather is coming, and in many cases this may be true.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Ive seen the moon very bright before (easily possible to read a paper under its light) although never as bright as a sun, which no offense op, i suspect is a slight exaggeration..

the halo around the moon is completely normal aswell.. it is a refraction of light caused by ice particles in the upper atmosphere..
It's just like a compare term,anyway to bright,brighter then usual!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
My have somthing to do with the Total Lunar Eclipse on the 10th...thats 2morrow...
science.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

maybe this could be the problem,

TextNo safety on the moon: strong CME could sandblast the entire lunar surface Posted on December 7, 2011 December 7, 2011 – SPACE – Solar storms and associated Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) can significantly erode the lunar surface according to a new set of computer simulations by NASA scientists. In addition to removing a surprisingly large amount of material from the lunar surface, this could be a major method of atmospheric loss for planets like Mars that are unprotected by a global magnetic field
source(theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Was it a cold clear night sky where you were lastnight? If so that would explain why the moon appeared brighter to you, nothing to worry about

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
reply to post by diamondsmith

Was it a cold clear night sky where you were lastnight? If so that would explain why the moon appeared brighter to you, nothing to worry about
Actually, it was more warm then the usual...very warm for this time of the year!

edit on 9-12-2011 by diamondsmith because: then

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
we saw it in the northeast us here it was absolutely beautiful...romantic kiss with Hubby under it....ahhh but enough about that....

mabey it was because I was in the city that I just happened to look up and see it...wasn't out of the ordinary bright here...was really cool, surreal moment looked like the eye of some massive God looking at us....glad To see others saw/enjoyed it :-)...Its good to look up and star gaze you never know what you will see...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DaughterOfARevolver

Please next time,try to read a newspaper under her light,and tell me your opinion!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The moon, anywhere near full is bright enough to read a newspaper by on a cloudless night anyway once your eyes have adjusted to the dark.

I have read the markings on a sextant by the light of venus. Now that was unusual. Middle of the South China Sea, no moon at all. Venus was bright enough to show a strip of light from the planet across the surface of the sea to the vessel.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesyleps

And what does that mean?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
It means I have read something by the light of a planet that is usually barely visible, but on occasion, especially when there is no moon, can be very bright.

It is an example to show you that what you are talking about isn't actually all that unusual. The point is that for a couple of reasons, most people never notice it.

1) Live in urban areas = too much light pollution, light from streetlamps
2) Spend little time outside at night = Eyes don't adjust to darkness
3) Don't look at the sky = most people very rarely take note of the beauty above them.

Its the same reasons we are getting so many "sightings" of Jupiter starting to be posted here as UFOs.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I understand your point of view,still here,brighter then usual,anyway thank you for your explanation!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Could it be also that the Sun is brighter too? As the moon is really only a mirror for the Sun.

I say that, as my Camellia bush had flowered late last month and there was a report of some ducklings hatching last month in UK. Both which are supposed to happen in the Spring!!!!!!! IE. there could be more UV or whatever, that makes Spring happen.

So IMO the Sun is brighter and whiter. I even took a photo of it last month and it did seem to me to be bigger and brighter; more whiter as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

Can we see that photo?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

I understand your point of view,still here,brighter then usual,anyway thank you for your explanation!

No problem. I have re-read my initial posts and apologise if they sounded slightly hostile. That wasn't my intention.

Another point to mention, has the weather suddenly shifted "wintery" where you are? Here in the UK the weather had been very mild up until two weeks ago (very late autumn this year) when it very suddenly switched to winter mode (ie clear nights are much colder). This is usually due to a change in the origin of the dominant air mass (from warm southern air masses to colder polar air). This does generally mean that the sky is much clearer. Visibility is much better in winter than in summer due to no warm air disturbances. This may make some account for the sudden perceived increase in brightness.
edit on 9/12/11 by cheesyleps because: Spelling and Grammar

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

No it's ok ,no problem!

new topics

top topics

join