It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan accused of spending tsunami recovery funds on whaling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

www.sail-world.com

Japan's whaling fleet has left port under heavy guard as it prepares to kill almost 1,000 whales in the Antarctic, where more clashes are expected with members of the Sea Shepherd marine conservation group.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.seashepherd.org

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Damn .. i cant believe they will go massacre thousand of more whales

I like watching Whale War and last season THEY WIN
a nice ending story ...

Now they are back again and with much more money ( blood money) since that money were supose to reconstruct Japan familly homes and other things more important then killing the most inteligent species on earth ...

we are soon entering 2012 .. only a few thousand of whales are remaining in the ocean
we need to protect them at all cost

Paul Watson will be really pissed at them now more then ever
if this article is legit .. that will proove are mad and heartless the japanese are (especially the governement)

Three ships, led by the 720-tonne Yushin Maru and accompanied by a fisheries agency guard vessel, left Shimonoseki port in south-western Japan amid accusations that the fleet was taking cash intended for fishing communities hit by the March earthquake and tsunami.

According to anti-whaling campaigners, the Japanese government has used 2.28 billion yen (£19m/US$30m) from the earthquake recovery fund, on top of its existing $6m annual subsidy, to pay for this year's hunt.

'It is absolutely disgraceful for the Japanese government to pump yet more taxpayer money on an unneeded, unwanted and economically unviable whaling programme, when funds are desperately needed for recovery efforts,' said Junichi Sato, the executive director of Greenpeace Japan.

'The whaling programme is a black mark on Japan's international reputation, and a black hole for taxpayer money. Pouring billions of yen into Antarctic whaling during this time of crisis is downright shameful. Japan cannot afford to waste money on whaling in the Antarctic when its people are suffering at home.'

The fisheries agency said the use of the fund was justified because one the towns destroyed by the tsunami was a whaling port.

Anyone who approve whaling are disconnected from reality
Japan should have learn from this ...

one day the whales will disapear and it will be mostly their fault

God bless the whales and dolphins
the most peacefull loving inteligent God creature ever

www.sail-world.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/9/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
jesus christ, I swear to whatever god this guy believes in, I will have a coniption
if this is another japan does whaling thread

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

[url=http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Japan-accused-of-spending-tsunami-recovery-funds-on-whaling

How is this "Breaking news"?
(what with the other existing thread running for a couple of days, and the article you linked to being that old as well)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
This is expected.If the whales could somehow get a plan together to jump at the same time right off the coast causing a tsunami ,that would be apt.As it happens the whales are smart enough to head for the Antarctic ocean .Right about now ,the safest place on earth.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by iBleedSovietR3D
jesus christ, I swear to whatever god this guy believes in, I will have a coniption
if this is another japan does whaling thread

its not a whaling thread

Japan have used millions that was given to them by the international community
and they used that money to kill whale not to reconstruct real important things
while people are still dying from radiations

This is the point of the thread

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

yes, but your not getting my point. I've seen this thread at least 4 times today. At least
well into the twenty's this week...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by iBleedSovietR3D
reply to post by Ben81

yes, but your not getting my point. I've seen this thread at least 4 times today. At least
well into the twenty's this week...

I did a search .. didnt see any
you can link one of the thread and a mod can close this one

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
you can link one of the thread and a mod can close this one

Japan Uses $28.5m in Disaster Funds for Whaling
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Japan using tsunami funds to support their whaling industry
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9-12-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Whaling should be stopped honestly. I don't know why it isn't. They will kill these things off if they are getting a thousand a season. Whales traverse the world, so its not like there will be a surviving population somewhere else.
I don't understand why they even need or want to kill whales. Plenty of other actual fish in the sea.

I normally wouldn't comment on this kinda thing, but that number, 1000 kinda pissed me off.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I'm totally unfamiliar with the whaling controversy beyond the fact that Japan does it, and some people want them to stop. Remember that, please, if I say something incredibly stupid. But, you've said it's not a whaling thread so I might get away with my thoughts.

Why does Japan hunt whales? If they make money from it, then aren't they turning the $30 million into more? Wouldn't that provide even more disaster relief than the original amount? Sounds good to me.

Are they doing it for food? If they can get more food for the dollar by hunting whales than from other sources, that sounds like good disaster relief spending as well.

You see? I'm totally confused by the seriousness and intensity you prent in this issue. I know I'm missing something important. Would you please take a moment and tell me what I don't see?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Why does Japan hunt whales?

In the post WW2 years there wasnt much food going around, but what little there was is supplimented by whale meat, which supposedly had also been hunted a little bit in the historical older times.
More recently, all those old men who grew up eating whale meat are now senior politicians, and to them it is a matter of *tradition* that this continues.

The big problem for them is that whale meat simply isnt that tasty. Japanese people would rather eat something else, and nobody under 30 wants to touch the stuff. To the younger people its just something their father eats on special occasions.
Stockpiles are growing in warehouses, and to get rid of this embarassing pile of useless meat, they've had to resort to giving it away as gifts and turning it into PET FOOD.
More recently there is a program to force schools to have it as school lunches, so maybe that will get rid of the stockpiles a bit... perhaps.

Fundamentally, the reason "the Japanese" do it is because of enforcement of "traditions" of old senior politicians, and a defiance of enternal forces. "How dare other countries tell us what to do!!"

Japan has cited its long history as a whaling nation and its historic reliance on whale meat for protein as reasons why it should be continued to allow to hunt despite the IWC ban. But Japanese consumption has become so negligible that local governments are encouraging schools to incorporate whale in their lunch programs, while thousands of tons of whale meat remain stockpiled in freezers.

time

"No one has the right to criticize the food culture of another people," said Matayuki Komatsu of Japan's Fisheries Agency. A sense of pride also fuels Japan's commitment to whaling.
To some, the words and actions of those who oppose Japanese whaling are "culturally arrogant" and unnecessarily harsh. This only serves to strengthen the country's resolve to maintain its whaling, according to some.

discovery

edit on 9-12-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Dear alfa1,

Thank you very much, that was really helpful. One of the best I've had the pleasure of receiving.

Would you like to tackle another one for me? How does modern society (US or world) deal with Japan's argument "You can't tell us what do in our culture?"

If we tell them "Our ______ (science, humanity, religion, culture, power, experience, whatever) let's us tell you what to do in your culture concerning whale meat," then how are we prevented from telling Mexico, Africa, the Middle East, etc. what to do in their cultures?

I'm sure there's a plausible rationale, but it doesn't come quickly to mind.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

join