It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town Vows to Defend Nativity “Until Hell Freezes Over”

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

And if the Majority are atheists? You can't simply say the "The Majority Are X. So we will do Y" with no evidence. I've seen and had enough of this concept of false majority. People who rant about what the majority wants are often a minority.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I actually have no problem with the nativity scene, and I am not a Christian. I think that everyone should have every right to express themselves as long as it is not harming anyone. The nativity scene would not harm me at all, in fact it would not concern me at all, just not my thing.

I also think every other person and every other idea should get equal treatment. If Muslims broke out a blanket next to us on the floor in a restaurant and started praying, it is within their rights and a Christian should not take offense. My friend wants to open up a strip club in the downtown area of our city, it would be zoned commercial and nowhere near a school. However, any time anyone tries to open one up, super-Christians line up for days and picket until the potential owner gives up - this would not be happening if we all minded our own business.

Bottom line is if you wish to preach equality, you've got to practice equality. So like I said, I have no issue with the nativity scene, doesn't bother me at all. I just hope that Christians are as accepting of other peoples' ideas as they want everyone to be of theirs.

Khar

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101
reply to post by Propulsion

It's not the nativity scene itself that people have the problem with. It's the fact that it's on government, neutral ground that people have the problem with. If they want to display it, fine, but do it on religious ground. Religion has no place on a court-house lawn, no matter how you spin it.

So we should forget the fact that they have been doing this for the past 35 years? It wasn't a probem then. Why should people care now?????????

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Algernonsmouse

What do you think a Christian Courthouse lawn is?
How is the courthouse not promoting Christianity?

I don't know...what is a Christian Courthouse lawn?

This is a public Courthouse lawn that is lawfully displaying traditional Christmas Holiday decorations...including both secular and non-secular items that are associated with this National Holiday...and as is permitted by the U.S. Supreme Court's interpretation of the U.S. Constitution.

You might want to read that again; Especially the last 9 words.

Well, you can't just read the last nine words to get the full and actual meaning of the statement.

It means that the Government cannot establish an official religion, and then go ahead and force people to observe such an officially recognized religion. People should be free to worship (or not) as they please.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Doesn't matter how long they've been doing it. Just because they've been doing it for 35 years doesn't make it right.
It's the same thing if it were a child molester. Would it suddenly be okay just because he/she has been molesting children for 35 years? No? Exactly. I say again, just because they've been doing it for a long time doesn't make it right.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Tuscola county leases the space to a private individual to put whatever they want on it. The person rented all the spaces and pays 1$ a year. Paid 1000 years in advance to be renegoiated at the end of the lease. Problem solved

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
two parts to this....

living in this area and having drove through this specific area ...........

This whole town is corruption upon corruption... so no kudos from me... the only honest person was a black female in the sheriffs department..

The food sucks... the level of service is below neighboring towns standard.... house prices are inflated... crime is above average as the locals get a cut...

(Keep in mind on of the best workman I have met lives in the area)

I reference ats herself

texas teen attacked over anti-immigration sign for history project

in athens...

and

kerens police chief arrested and not a thing in the papers

the chief is from this area and the buddies of his helped bury the domestic violence...

second part...

Listen this country is going down the crapper and you want to spend money taking this down...

I believe private individuals put this up... on government land.... it belongs to the people as a whole...

the questions are...

Did any of Henderson county's money go to pay for this...

Did any of athens money go to it...

the use of the land by assembled citizens is the right of those assembled... the question is ...

How did a group from so far away get involved ??????

Overall... no support for athens or henderson on this... way too corrupt

no support for the organization...

here why.... atheism is a religion in and of itself... it has a deity and a faith

so this is a matter not of constitutional law but at most civil court and the withdrawal of religious amendments in this... it is a civil matter over organizations and permits....

sorry when two religions argue it becomes a non government matter

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Why cant people just leave other people alone?!!!!

What business is it of those in WI or anyone else to tell this little town in TX what to do???

Christmas is CHRISTMAS! That's all there is to it!

For those who dont believe in Christmas, FINE, dont celebrate it and dont expect to get paid for December 25th! (yeah right). How about Easter! Can we not color eggs anymore? 4th of July & NO fireworks allowed because it may offend someone in Iran!! Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving???

Children cant even pray anymore w/o the idiotic groups coming out and say YOU CANT DO THAT (if you are a Christian).

No wonder this world is so messed up!!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Doesn't matter how long they've been doing it. Just because they've been doing it for 35 years doesn't make it right.
It's the same thing if it were a child molester. Would it suddenly be okay just because he/she has been molesting children for 35 years? No? Exactly. I say again, just because they've been doing it for a long time doesn't make it right.

Try saying this in the M.E. The outcome wouldnt be a pleasant experience.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Just like born-again Christians want to convert everyone under the sun. Like their Jehovah's Witnesses pals, they just don't know when to quit.

It has to be an ego issue. These folks aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They're just like the missionaries that destroyed native/local cultures with their spiel of an "all-loving" god that just happens to be a hell of an asshole when it comes to dealing with people.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

If this was a mosque, you'd see this "majority" that supports the nativity scene out in full force, complaining about the "islamification" of America.

Americans are an intolerant bunch deep down inside.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
How else apart from crappy blinking lights do you get people in the mood to spend all their money?

I enjoy the lights. I like the cozy feel of warm lights at nighttime. I love looking at the different displays people put up. Everyone has their own approach. People around here usually do a lot of classy displays.
I've always loved a tree with the miniature lights. But that's just me. It doesn't hurt anyone does it?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
How else apart from crappy blinking lights do you get people in the mood to spend all their money?

I enjoy the lights. I like the cozy feel of warm lights at nighttime. I love looking at the different displays people put up. Everyone has their own approach. People around here usually do a lot of classy displays.
I've always loved a tree with the miniature lights. But that's just me. It doesn't hurt anyone does it?

I agree 100% with you.
I love Christmas decorations. Other than the Nativity and just a few other things.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Good for this county its good to see someone standing up for what is right for once. They got my support and those that are trying to block this need to chill out. If they dont celebrate somethin how do they feel excluded???

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Henley

As I've said over and over and over again, IT'S NOT ABOUT THEM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE NATIVITY SCENE! It's about the fact that it's on GOVERNMENT land that people have the problem with! I'm all for putting up nativity scenes. Hell, I even have one next to my television and I'm not a Christian. But when it comes to putting it on government, neutral soil, then I have a problem. Just like the group in WI does. If they want to display it, fine by me, but do it on the CHURCH lawn, not the GOVERNMENT lawn.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Henley

As I've said over and over and over again, IT'S NOT ABOUT THEM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE NATIVITY SCENE! It's about the fact that it's on GOVERNMENT land that people have the problem with! I'm all for putting up nativity scenes. Hell, I even have one next to my television and I'm not a Christian. But when it comes to putting it on government, neutral soil, then I have a problem. Just like the group in WI does. If they want to display it, fine by me, but do it on the CHURCH lawn, not the GOVERNMENT lawn.

And as I said...if you really have a problem with this, take it up with the U.S. Supreme Court...because they have ruled there is nothing wrong with it.

You are beating a dead horse.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion

It's not the nativity scene itself that people have the problem with. It's the fact that it's on government, neutral ground that people have the problem with. If they want to display it, fine, but do it on religious ground. Religion has no place on a court-house lawn, no matter how you spin it.

So we should forget the fact that they have been doing this for the past 35 years? It wasn't a probem then. Why should people care now?????????

I think some people are trying to start a second civil war. The simple fact is most atheists are psychopaths and sociopaths. As most people with a conscience are drawn to spiritual beliefs.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Henley

This is why we never should of allowed immigration from non Christian nations and never should of financed the public educational system(since atheist's took over educating people, literacy rates dropped and atheist's only used their teaching positions to advance atheism) .

You have to understand that atheism has been recognized as a religion. Your demanding that the government accept atheism as the state religion? No ty.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join