It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town Vows to Defend Nativity “Until Hell Freezes Over”

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
If you allow one religion you must be fair and allow all religions.
So put up the Menorah. A Flying Spaghetti Monster with worshippers in full pirate regalia worshipping him.

And for the Atheists we can put up a tent with nothing in it.
lol

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
In truth, America is a mirror of the World of Islam.
The Religious people want to meld religion and state to make a State Religion. .

Got some proof of that?
In the 'World of Islam', if someone doesnt' go along with their religious laws, they get stoned in the public square or beaten to death ore beheaded. Here, secular laws keep religion under wraps and in control. And a vast majority of this country wants it that way. The USA isn't under the jack-boot of religious oppression and the threat of death.

Originally posted by HandyDandy
should we have said the same thing about those christians crying "intimidation" about a mosque 5 blocks away from ground zero

A little plastic baby sitting in a decoration isn't driving nutcases to fly airplanes into buildings full of people in His name. However, it has been reported that 80% of mosques in the USA preach jihad extremism. That IS intimidation. In Canada the number is higher at 85%

80% of Mosques Preach Jihad

In testimony before the U.S. State Department in 1999, Muhammad Hisham Kabbani, chairman of the Islamic Supreme Council of America, affirmed most of the mosques in the U.S. are run by extremists.

"We would like to advise our government, our congressmen, that there is something big going on and people do not understand it," he said. "You have many mosques around the United States...So the most dangerous things are going on in these mosques that have self appointed leaders throughout the United States. The extremist ideology makes them very active. We can say that they took over 80 per cent of the mosques in the United States...This means that the ideology of extremism has been spread to the youth and the new generation." Source

The Mapping Sharia Project sent trained people into mosques in the U.S. to find out how many of them are calling for jihad against America. They discovered that the majority of the mosques they've investigated so far do, in fact, promote jihad against America, in the Friday "sermons" (known as "khutbah") and in the literature available at the mosques.

The Mapping Sharia Project

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
The good folks of Henderson County, Texas have decided to draw a line in the sand...and stand and fight for their right to continue to erect a nativity scene on the lawn of their courthouse - as they have done for 35 years.

The Wisconsin-based atheist organization (the Freedom From Religion Foundation) sent a letter to the county explaining that a local resident had complained and they wanted the Nativity removed. “It sends a message of intimidation and exclusion to non-Christians and non-believers this time of year”

I think the county commissioner just about sums this up for me...

Henderson County Commissioner Joe Hall called the attack “stupid” and said he’s going to do whatever it takes to stop the atheists.

radio.foxnews.com...

Here here Joe!

Atheists and believers of other faiths need to relax and enjoy the holidays. If you don't want to say "Merry Christmas", say "Happy Holidays".

If you don't subscribe to the stories of the birth of Christ at this time of year...kick back and have fun with Santa Claus, Christmas lights, the exchange of gifts with loved ones, the upcoming New Year...

Stop trying to take all of the enjoyment out of (or damper the special joy Christians feel during) the Christmas Season.

Keep your humbug attitudes to yourselves. Nobody is forcing you to enjoy this time of year - but stop trying to force other people to not enjoy it.

Christmas is a christianized pagan holiday that has to do with the death and rebirth of the sun on the winter solstice, which is what the burning of the yule log symbolizes. Christmas is a Roman holiday from their pagan days. If Christians want to partake in holidays they should be celebrating the jewish feastdays as christianity was born from the Essenes (jewish sect of judaism) ideology who prophesied the Messiah 250+ years before his birth.

Christmas never has had anything to do with Yeshua the Christ (Jesus). Yeshua was not born anywhere near december, he was born in the spring.

Satan Claus is a mockery of God in that if you are good you will get your hearts desire and if youre bad you will get things you do not really want, hence the "he knows when you are sleeping, he knows when youre awake, he knows when you've been good or bad so be good for goodness sake!" How many other omniscient beings do you know that knows all that? The answer is none.
edit on 9-12-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

I know this area. Ive several relatives in and around Athens.

If these dbags from wisconsin want to come down and tell these good folks "how wrong they are", there is a good chance they could be hawg feed.

Lots of wild pigs here!

These northern maggots need to steer clear. Friendly yankees not included.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Christmas is a christianized pagan holiday that has to do with the death and rebirth of the sun on the winter solstice, which is what the burning of the yule log symbolizes. Christmas is a Roman holiday from their pagan days. If Christians want to partake in holidays they should be celebrating the jewish feastdays as christianity was born from the Essenes (jewish sect of judaism) ideology who prophesied the Messiah 250+ years before his birth.

Christmas never has had anything to do with Yeshua the Christ (Jesus). Yeshua was not born anywhere near december, he was born in the spring.

I have heard this stupid argument too many times to count. The holiday is Christian they are celebrating the birth of Christ, that is all there is to it. Sure some pagan religions celebrated their holidays on and around the same time but Christmas is christian. Its an idea, they are setting that day aside to celebrate the birth of Christ, it would not matter when it was celebrated they would still be celebrating the birth of Christ and it would STILL fall on or around some "pagan" festival.
Just like Halloween, sure there are some pagan ties to Halloween but are people celebrating some stupid pagan crap? No, girls dress up in slutty costumes and everyone gets drunk. It has nothing to do with being pagan.
edit on 9-12-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Satan Claus is a mockery of God ..

Santa Claus was a real person ... St. Nicholas He was a bishop in the Catholic church (thus the red outfit) and he was very generous. During the Christmas season he'd go into the homes of the poor and put money into the stockings that were hanging by the chimney to dry after being washed.

As the years went by, the real story got fed on and grew into a childs story. But the original story - of St. Nicholas - is one of generosity and goodness.
edit on 12/9/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Satan Claus is a mockery of God in that if you are good you will get your hearts desire and if youre bad you will get things you do not really want

I've never got things I didn't want. Not like that anyway. It's just part of the fun. Would you give your kid something they don't like during Christmas time? I wouldn't.
I'd try and give them something they want, if I can afford it.
But I wouldn't be like "remember last summer when you were naughty?" then give them a piece of coal.
I like Christmas because of Santa Claus, the Christmas tree, stuffed roast turkey with all the trimmings and most important of all, the family.
The latter part is the important part the rest are decorations to make things nice.
Can't say a Christmas tree doesn't look nice and everything in Christmas time looks nice.
I don't see a problem there, I encourage it.

edit on 9-12-2011 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Santa Claus was a real person ... St. Nicholas He was a bishop in the Catholic church (thus the red outfit)

I'm not going to debate if Santa was a real person but the red outfit if I'm not mistaken was introduced in a Coca-Cola tv commercial.
Before that Santa wore green and white.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA:

I've just checked a little out. It seems that the cartoonist Thomas Nast was the first one to depict Santa in red in 1863.
Before this Santa was depicted wearing green.
In the 50's Coca-Cola made the adverts with him wearing red and it caught on and stayed.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Are you telling me no christian has ever killed in the name of their religion?

Oslo, Norway would be a good place to start looking.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
the red outfit if I'm not mistaken was introduced in a Coca-Cola tv commercial.
Before that Santa wore green and white. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The red outfit is because he was a bishop in Turkey. Bishops wear red. Over the years, different countries have put their own secular spin on it ... putting him in different colored outfits. But the original and most used is red because it's the color of his bishops robes.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
Are you telling me no christian has ever killed in the name of their religion?
Oslo, Norway would be a good place to start looking.

Oslo, Norway - Lone nutty gunman.
Mosques in the USA - 80% preach Jihad.
Big difference.

Christianity has evolved in the past 800 years. The crusades were over hundreds of years ago.
Witch burnings too. Secular laws adopted by so called 'christian majority' countries hold people
in check. You don't have 80% of the churches in the USA preaching to go out and kill those who
disagree with their religions.

I got stuck living in Alabama for 9 years. I understand fundamentalist christians who are
over the top for their faith. I get it. really. But they aren't taught to go out and kill ... just go
out and knock on doors and be really obnoxious in trying to convert people. And the secular
laws keep them in check.

It's very different. Secular laws are NEEDED to keep things from being crazy.
So called 'Islamic' countries don't have that.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Secular laws are NEEDED to keep things from being crazy.

You mean like that whole seperation of church and state thingy?

Because without it, you'll get crazy people wanting to place a plastic figurine of their religious choice on public property.

Correct?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The red outfit is because he was a bishop in Turkey.

Yes you have a point, but that's Saint Nicholas not Santa Claus.
I know Santa stems from the Saint but SinterKlass stems from Saint Nicholas and there's Odin to consider also.

So over time the character of Saint Nicholas has turned into Santa Claus, Father Christmas, SinterKlaas.

There's a bit of a mix there. The root is Saint Nicholas and red was his color yes.

ETA:

So basically Saint Nicholas went from this to Santa.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by GR1ill3d

I'm sorry but if I am paying taxes for land that is publicly owned.

There's your local battle. I'm with you there, when we can take that obligatory unfair taxation back, on land we bought and "own", then we can talk about others' problems.

I'm with both of you on this. An imaginary war against an imaginary messiah.

and Jibby that's the best avatar yet. I still have the Obi-wan one as my wallpaper.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The courthouse lawn is atheistic most of the year, why can't Christians have a month of Nativity?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck
The courthouse lawn is atheistic most of the year, why can't Christians have a month of Nativity?

So, you would have no problem with a bunch of satanists putting up an alter with a plastic sacrifice on it for a month?

Or some muslims putting up a star and cresent moon?

If so, why?

edit on 9-12-2011 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

So, you would have no problem with a bunch of satanists putting up an alter with a plastic sacrifice on it for a month?

Interesting question.

I wouldn't.
Not because I'm religious, but because it's just not nice to my eyes. A sacrificial alter.
I'd have neither, just a Christmas tree with decorations and lights.
No alters with goats heads and that, no Jesus hanging from crosses.
Just a tree.
Why not. It's a more beautiful sight.

ETA:

Interesting question though to say the least. A very hard one to answer because why for one and not the other.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

Show me a group of REAL satanists that condone sacrifice and actually hold a sacrifice as part of a religious holiday. Then show me where they were denied the right to display such a scene, then you would have one leg to stand on.

And by real satanist i mean an actual satanist, NOT some group of teens that wear all black,shop at hot topic, listen to music they are told is "satanic" and run around with a shapie writing "666" anarchy signs and pentagrams on everything they can.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
How bizarre. The 'Land of the free' really is full of extremist bigots.

Why shouldn't Christians be allowed to celebrate Christmas as they wish, so long as it does not prevent others from going about their lawful business?

Of course, if Christians try and prevent the rest of us from celebrating the solstice as we prefer, it's a different matter. But as an atheist I am 100% behind the Christians.

btw I assume these so-called atheists do not put up decorations, send cards, give gifts, hold parties or have a special dinner at Christmas and treat it exactly like any other day? Or are they hypocrits as well? What sad and pathetic lives they must live.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I wish people would learn the difference between the words "OF" and "FROM" and that's just for starters. As far as atheists go, if God don't exist why are you always making such a fuss to prove it? You have YET to prove He doesn't. Insofar as tax dollars being spent on a nativity scene, would you rather the money go to study the mating habbits of a salamander or the affects of alcohol on prostitutes in Asia? Finally IF you want to make the argument of the First Amendment, consider this... the First Amendment ALSO provides for freedom of EXPRESSION, which this CLEARLY falls under so please, save us the vitriol.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join