It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somebody remembered what Christmas is supposed to be about.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Toys can be bought at any point in the year. Why does it matter when they're bought?

It sounds to me like you're trying to justify the consumerist part of Christmas and failing miserably.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
www.biblequestions.org...

The origin of Christmas. Christmas is from Christes Maesse, which means Christ Mass (Ency. Brit. Micro, vol. 2 pg. 903).

This reference work states: "...during the 4th century the celebration of Christ's birth on December 25 was gradually adopted by most Eastern churches.

In Jerusalem, opposition to Christmas lasted longer..." December 17-24th was the period of Saturnalia, a well-known festival in pagan Rome.

December 25th was the birthday of Mithra, the Iranian god of light.

The most reliable history tells us regarding this day: "...was adopted by the church as Christmas to counteract the effects of these festivals" (Vol. 7, pg. 202).

the first 300 years after the Jesus ministry...Christmas was the birthday of Mithra...the Persian god of light
and had nothing to do with the modern 'gifting' spirit...however noble 'giving' is...it is a modern idea...
i admired Scrooge until he caved

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Christmas as we know it is a continuation of the Winter Solstice Celebration that has been around for 1000's of years, from Egypt to the Romans, it is not about the Birth of Christ as Jesus was born in July or September - this is admitted History & It is public record that Christmas was chosen to replace the Roman Winter Solstice honoring Mithras because the Church felt it needed to. Why would you celebrate someones birthday 3 - 5 months after they were born? You Dont. It IS the Winter Solstice Celebration. This is where the meaning was derived from. It simply replaced one festival as the Religion / Beliefs changed. If you understand why the ancients and all civilizations celebrated on the Winter Solstice then you understand, if you are not aware I suggest you do some research.

The Holiday Season should be about celebration, life, love, family & friends. Regardless what your "beliefs" are.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Yes Christmas has become a holiday based on consumerism, but that aside why why why for the love of God do even positive threads have people being such Debbie Downers in them?

With all the crap and evil going on in the world can we not just look at this story as someone being positive and generous and leave it at that?

No no no thats not good enough, their is always someone on ATS who is gonna say something negative about a good deed no matter what its based on or its intentions, always putting their negative spin on it.

I swear you could have a story about a stranger running into a burning house to save a infant and someone would find something negative to say about it here. I wish I could set up shop here and sell antidepressant medication, if all those here that needed it would buy it from me id make a fortune.
edit on 10-12-2011 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by RightWingAvenger

No, He is glorified by acts of kindness and compassion. The toys are just bonus.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join