It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

empire state of mind lyrics meaning?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Did a search on this song and the lyrics and couldn't find anything I'm looking for, but maybe I wasn't using the right keyword, I don't know. Anyway I heard this song driving home from work today. I've heard it in the background watching t.v. but never really payed attention to the lyrics until today.

This is some lyrics from Jay Z's Empire State of Mind.

Mommy took a bus trip and now she got her bust out, everybody ride her, just like a bus route, Hail Mary to the city your a Virgin, and Jesus can’t save you life starts when the church ends,

So first part sounds like a woman who flaunts her anatomy and has many repetitive lovers "maybe I'm way off, I don't know." but what about the last part of this verse?

Hail Mary to New York you are a virgin? Jesus can't save you? Life starts when the church ends?

k so Hail Mary is a Catholic prayer yes? In what sense is New York a virgin? Why can't Jesus save this virgin and what does that have to do with the song? How will life change when the church ends? Is this a reference to being free from oppression or a meaning that when faith is destroyed evil will totally conquer?

Anyway, I just wanted to get others thoughts on what this verse of the song means, and if there were any subtle conspiracy lyrics going on, Thanks
edit on 8-12-2011 by Gumerk because: clarification

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

All these mainstream rappers are Illuminati tied....I thought you would of known that by now. Stay true to the Underground...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by Gumerk

All these mainstream rappers are Illuminati tied....I thought you would of known that by now. Stay true to the Underground...

Yeah I've viewed many threads about that subject and see the connection, but I haven't seen this particular video analyzed and this certain verse really caught my attention. I'm hoping those that have given some insight into other lyrics like this could give their take on it.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Um no.

It seriously about JayZ and his early days selling dope and living in NYC. Listen to it, its no deeper than that.

As far as the other lyrics goes, he is obviously talking about his mother or another he knew who whored herself out.
edit on 8-12-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I feel that he's saying to New York City, even the woman throwing herself to every John she can, is a virgin is the sense that she herself cannot be as dirty as the city life as a whole. As for jesus can't save you, he's saying that she's so far gone that she's unstable, and life starts on Monday, the day after all of your partying and churching is over.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
jay-z is a tool. it doesn't have to make sense, it just has to rhyme. i'm sure in his peanut head he was trying to deliver some message.

apparently he's trying to rule the world with his "mogulism".

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenObserver
I feel that he's saying to New York City, even the woman throwing herself to every John she can, is a virgin is the sense that she herself cannot be as dirty as the city life as a whole. As for jesus can't save you, he's saying that she's so far gone that she's unstable, and life starts on Monday, the day after all of your partying and churching is over.

ah kk, if this is true it would actually make sense then. Hail Mary and all. Wasn't there a verse that said don't bite the apple Eve? Perhaps that kind of goes with this verse as well.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

Not sure bout Jay-z's religious views but I believe he has made other anti religious remarks. As for the references to the lady I think its more about women being permissive and being used by men and left broken. Maybe a hooker? Not sure this is really about a world Illuminati plot. But I have heard some other questionable lyrics. Have also heard some anti govt eminmen stuff too so not sure all mainstream is controlled as I always hear from people

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

He is talking about the people that move to NY from smaller places. "To the city you're a virgin"

The whole thing about life begins where church ends is a little more complicated. Again he is referencing people that come from more sheltered back grounds and find the city to be more like hell than the heaven they imagined. A lot of people move to NYC because they are hypnotized by the glamour and the lights. They don't realize that life for most people is nothing like Sex and The City. They try to chase that lifestyle and get tied up in alcohol, drugs, and promiscuity. When they realize their life is failing they feel remorse, but it is too late.

This is the reality of the life you have chosen and only you can save you. That would be the simplified version of what he is saying.

There is a reason part of the city was called "Hell's Kitchen" long before Gordon Ramsey was famous.

edit on 8-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
here it is...

Dont bite the apple Eve Caught up in the in-crowd

Good girls gone bad - the City's filled with them

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

Don't bite the apple Eve. . . Keep your innocence and purity, stay away from here. (Don't let the glamour fool you.)

That second line is self explanitory. The city has a way of corrupting people.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

Yeah thats about what I feel it is, jus't his different witty comments that have a common theme. It works well though.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

Also NYC is called the big apple

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

bump yourself some NonPhixion, Jedi Mind Tricks, Ill Bill

fly #

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Say NO to the mainstream

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I for one believe wholeheartedly that Jay Z is Illuminati, this isn't his first attempt at "Mind Control..."
Some examples are his Rocawear clothing line....

He calls himself Hova short for Jehova. Kanye wears the baphomet.
www.youtube.com...
Jay-Z has a song called Lucifer on the Grey Album remixed by Danger Mouse and it says Murder, murder, Jesus and 666. They did it in honor of the Beatles. The rich prosper off of the humble, good people.
www.youtube.com...
Rihanna has lots of occultist tatoos and most of her songs played backwards reveal hidden messages, too.
Lil Wayne also worships the beast and has a lot of messages in his songs played backwards. He thinking that the world is going to end in 2012 because of the Mayan calendar and is quoted as saying so...the most haunting song for me is "I Feel Like Dying" played backwards he speaks of murder and rape and the chorus says "under the ground beneath you"
www.youtube.com...

*Sources Google, and various others...

I Believe this 100%
edit on 8-12-2011 by CruixKnight because: (pictures won't show
)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CruixKnight

Jay-Z has a song called Lucifer on the Grey Album remixed by Danger Mouse

The Grey Album was a mash up of Jay's Black Album and The Beatles White Album. It was done without the prior knowledge or consent of either party. EMI had the album pulled from shelves for copyright violations.

He calls himself Hova short for Jehova. Kanye wears the baphomet.

Actually the term Hova comes from the 5 Percenters in NYC. They are members of a religious off shoot of Islam known as The Nation of Gods and Earths. The believe Black people are the original people of the planet Earth, and that they are the fathers and mothers of civilization. They call each other Gods and Earths. The references to the culture are common in hip hop from the 1990s. Which just happens to be the time that Jay-Z took the name.

It is meant to signify that he is the God of modern hip hop. In other words after The Notorious B.I.G and Tupac died Jay-Z believed it was his responsibility to help give birth to the next generation of hip hop. It does not refer to the traditional idea of god. It speaks to the belief that a strong black male was responsible for giving hip hop a new voice and controlling it's destiny. A fitting if not arrogant idea considerring his popularity, his ownership of Roca Fella records, and his ties to Def Jam the largest hip hop label at the time. Def Jam was started and operated by Russel Simmons, another black male.

It was actually a name with many meanings that were and are understandable to the blacks in NYC. The meaning is also understandable to those that have been around the hip hop culture for a long time. In short he is claiming to be the father of modern hip hop. He is not claiming to be the supreme being sent to rule over the world.
edit on 8-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

In what sense is New York a virgin

She is a sacrifice.

Why can't Jesus save this virgin

Mankind are given the will to destroy cities that rise and fall. Yehushua the Christ saves souls.

How will life change when the church ends? Is this a reference to being free from oppression or a meaning that when faith is destroyed evil will totally conquer?

Evil will never conquer. However the powers and principalities of this world are going to increase their negative influence on the world. Think along the lines of NWO.
edit on 8-12-2011 by benedict9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'd like to point out that this thread literally has me ROTFLMAO.

Jay-Z is an entertainer. The entire process is designed to keep people distracted while the elite continue to steal everything.

There are chameleons that learn to get table scrap and everyone is like "whoa, Luciferian...or Illuminati".

Hilarious. New York state of mind is simple. Jay-Z has bought into the perpetual tribal fable where men remain children that cheer for their local team instead of growing up and pushing forward humanity.

Peace

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm Calling Shenanigans!!!

("Did a search on this song and the lyrics and couldn't find anything I'm looking for, but maybe I wasn't using the right keyword, I don't know.") Your words right?
Pulled up Google and got seven letters in, and the search bar predictor a few links in it, WITH the lyerics.

That's one shenanigan ( ~ ) .

That is the first line of the post .
What are you trying to do with this post?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Shenanigans!!!

If you listen to "Watch The Throne" you'll probably try to do something to your self.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join