It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got one of those blu ray players on Black Friday and rushed to put my discs in it..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
There were disappointing error messages. The different file types like avi, divx, etc weren't recognized. Felt like taking the unit back. Tried putting some of my files on the USB stick I bought and putting it into the device. Almost everything is recognized. Works pretty good. Try using a USB plug in device if your blu ray player seems not to work right.

Having fun now with my video files. Watching just what I want to watch, and when.

Take care.------------------

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What kind did you get.
I don't trust those black friday deals.Sometimes it's just old out dated junk.
Just my opinion.

Oh,and never buy your hdmi cables at the store,it is a rip off.
Go online like mycablemart.com.

edit on 8-12-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If you're not aware, the reason you received those messages were because the player doesn't support those file types.

The user manual normally lists which file types are accepted.
Retail discs shouldn't fail. Only burned media should display these types of messages.
Glad you were able to figure something out.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I think those came up due to codecs not being loaded for Divx, etc. I may be misunderstanding, but my nephew has a blu-ray burner and has not mentioned one issue like that. I would know because every question the kid has comes to me, "I have a question for you..." lol. I have been in computers since there was 4K of memory and only Basic language. But, if the software is not recognizing it or the hardware, it may be codecs are not installed to translate those file types.

Yea, that is almost definately the issue. Google the following:

blu-ray not recognizing file types like avi, divx
blu ray dvd player not recognizing avi, divx, etc

There is info all about codecs and you need the codecs for your windows version, i.e. win 7
Also, there is some other info about these files and Blu Ray burners/players. There is software so you can make the player do what you want it to do. Sometimes, you have to ahem, 'adjust' the way you want it to be vs. the manufacturers agreements with other corporations or laws for them to be able to market it.. Once you have it, you can do what you will.

edit on 8/12/11 by spirit_horse because: add

edit on 8/12/11 by spirit_horse because: add info

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

Yes it would be a codecs issue. But it seems the OP is able to use those file types on the player, but only if using USB. When reading from a disc, the codec is "not found" but he found a workaround which allows him to load the files via USB.

It could be possible that the codecs are included, but the player is designed to reject burned media. Xbox and the Xbox360 has this built in. I don't know if you can use USB to circumvent it but performing a software or hardware mod corrects this (at least it use to.) The old xbox wouldn't even read a burned cd without any mods.

OP should have bought a Playstation 3. Game console, internet browser (with wireless included,) Blu-ray player. . . HD and HDMI of course.

My personal ps3 favorite is the ability to host a media server on your computer and wirelessly connect to the networked media server from the ps3. I can stream pictures, movies, music, etc from my computer to the ps3, so long as they are both on the network and the media server is running on the pc.

Another plus to this is you can buy the ps3 with the smaller hard drives (easier on the pocketbook) and not have to worry about filling your ps3's hard-drive (assuming you have plenty of storage on your computer)
I can stream iso rips. I'll have to find out if I can stream dvix, avi, mp4. . ..

edit on 8-12-2011 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I'll add to that. Don't buy your flat screen wall mounts at the store. They know you need a mount so you're over paying for something that should cost half the price or less. My nephew let me know about this online site called monoprice.com that sells wall mounts at 1/2 the price and sometimes less than you pay at local electronics store. They're not flimsy and are made just as well. Check it out, here's the link...

monoprice.com

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

very nice site. . . prices are quite reasonable! I'll be using that site in the future. . .thx!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

Oh, I must have misunderstood. I thought it was on a computer. You are correct. I was 11up and 3 down! 8up!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lurker007
If you're not aware, the reason you received those messages were because the player doesn't support those file types.

The user manual normally lists which file types are accepted.
Retail discs shouldn't fail. Only burned media should display these types of messages.
Glad you were able to figure something out.

Just watched Wagon Train. What a show that was. Like Rawhide.

The formats are confusing even to the Chinese. ---------

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
What kind did you get.
I don't trust those black friday deals.Sometimes it's just old out dated junk.
Just my opinion.

Oh,and never buy your hdmi cables at the store,it is a rip off.
Go online like mycablemart.com.

edit on 8-12-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

It was a LG model from WalMart. For discs it probably can't handle what a Phillips 642 could. The use of the USB input is the saving grace.-----------

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wonhunlo

as far as retail discs, there shouldn't be any problem . . . it's the burned media that will give you issues

new topics

top topics

join