It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Acne?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omphale
What I think is particularly tragic, is that we live in a society where esteem is so wrapped up in our outward appearance, that individuals would risk their long term health for the sake of their vanity.

It has nothing to do with vanity....Have you seen what cystic acne looks like? If not scroll up. Nobody would want to walk around with that on their face in ANY time period. Heck back in the olden ages I might have been considered afflicted by satan for having skin like that then stoned to death!

There are plenty of natural and effective treatments for acne, none of them perfect, none of them fail safe, but with commitment, they work most of the time.

Natural remedies do work yes but when you have cystic/nodular acne it is chemical and you need something to help balance that. I tried all kinds of natural remedies and my doctor knew everything I tried because she knew I didnt want to take pills but in the end I went with accutane and that was my choice.

I used accutane and knew what i was getting into. I dont regret it because my mental health was deteriorating as a result of my acne. I was completely depressed and didnt want to leave my house, that is now way to live. You don't now the ridicule I went through, people are mean.

Calendula for one.

Marigolds?! That is interesting I will have to check that out.

Life isn't as short as people make out, getting to know yourself and your body, as early as possible, is the best preparation for a long and healthy life. Listen to it and you can get away with doing to it pretty much anything. Within reason. But it is better, in the long run, to take the slow and steady approach, than to fall for the quick fix solution that only brings greater problems.

Again I tried everything and anything, my bf at the time thought i was nuts but I wanted it gone! Now I am quite happy with my dollar tree soap that has worked wonders. I no longer have the cystic, one will pop up here and there but nothing like it did when it started. The soap I use has oatmeal and almond in it. I love it and its all natural. Took me 10yrs to find something that worked on my skin and god knows how much money!

I will say one thing my dermatologist was the best doctor I ever had. She was one that I knew cared about her patients and not the money they brought in. When I lost my insurance she saw me for free and gave me meds for free! Accutane is 1000 dollars a month and I paid nothing thanks to her. She saved my life in a sense because mentally I was in a dark place. I will never regret what I used to fix my skin and I will always be thankful to her for her help and concern. She is a true doctor as silly as that sounds, one who cares about what her patients are actually there for and not the money in their pocket.
edit on 12/9/2011 by mblahnikluver because: fix quotes

edit on 12/9/2011 by mblahnikluver because: grr quotes

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaughterOfARevolver
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

anti-inflammatorys are the key...I use tea tree oil to great effect...put a drop in dmae lotion..mix with a qtip and wa-la...

Tea tree oil for some reason didn't work for me. It made me break out so bad! I have heard it is good for acne which is why I tried it.

keep you face clean...wash before bed and wake up..keeps dirt off...don't eat crap..water! water!...and idk if its revelent but stay outta of the sun. ..

Yes and no. Also your body needs the sun. I will say the one thing I did like that seemed to help my skin was the ocean. I use to say why dont they bottle ocean water for skin care?! It worked pretty well and gave me some relief.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Acne myths

Acne Myths

acne myths 2

acne myths 3
^^^from this link

Acne Myth 2: Eating chocolate and drinking soda gives you acne.

“The diet controversy over acne goes on,” says Amy Derick, MD, FAAD, a dermatologist in Great Barrington, Ill. “The idea that chocolate and caffeine cause acne has never really panned out.” Some studies have suggested that milk products might influence acne, because of the presence of hormones and bacteria in the milk. “But the data isn’t that strong, and I don’t want to recommend that 30-year-old women cut out milk when they need it for their bone health.”

I am a chocoholic, ask anyone who knows me! The first thing my dermatologist said to me was food isn't causing your acne and I was relived. I was never one to eat lots of junk and I love to cook because it's healthier for you....Now milk, well I will admit I am a huge milk person but I dont go crazy with it like i did when I was a kid.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
good old fashion homemade soap has kept my skin in near perfect condition for the last 20 years. I struggled with acne in high school..and then one day purchased some soap from a craft vendor. Within the week my skin was perfect. I have used lye soap ever since.

I also use a little homemade lavender lotion on my face in winter and vitamin E around the bottom of my eye. I am almost 40 and people still think I'm in my 20's!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
good old fashion homemade soap has kept my skin in near perfect condition for the last 20 years. I struggled with acne in high school..and then one day purchased some soap from a craft vendor. Within the week my skin was perfect. I have used lye soap ever since.

I also use a little homemade lavender lotion on my face in winter and vitamin E around the bottom of my eye. I am almost 40 and people still think I'm in my 20's!

OMG I know I love my soap and I had the worst skin you could imagine!~ It's all natural oatmeal almond soap and its a dollar! Best accidental find ever!

I have not tried lavender but the company that makes my soap has a lavender body wash. I might have to get some of it and treat my skin

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I had problems with acne for a long time. I had tons of acne scars on my face, mainly my cheeks and well it was not cool.

I never really ate fatty foods or sweet stuff, I had a very stick upbringing and that stuff was not allowed, so that was not the cause of my acne. But I was always under a lot of stress and didn't get much sleep at night, coupled with raging hormones of a teenager my face became my worse nightmare.

I tried everything I could get my hands on to clear up my acne but nothing worked. I even met those two doctors who made the Proactive and none of their stuff worked for me, even tried some new stuff they were developing and testing and nothing worked.

It wasn't until my senior year in high school that I got it slightly under control and after my first few years of college did I finally get rid of my acne and my scars healed up.

What worked for me was sweating, as in working out or going to the sauna. It worked wonders for me, also I only drink water, no soda or anything else like that, just water. Water is suppose to help with your skin, that with sweating a lot helped me clean out my pores and cleared up my skin. Mixed in with this, I used those cleaning pads to get rid of any hidden dirt and then washed up with some acne type face soap.

Hopefully this might work for some of ya'll.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
sweat and natural soup...workes for many besides natural soup is important because all the silicone and aluminum gets you alzheimer and other "Diseases of affluence"

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
What not to do; fast food, soft drinks, nicotine, excess coffee and tea, excess sweets and chocolates, sleep deprivation.

What to do; eat healthy foods, drink green tea, sleep well, drink plenty of water, stop smoking, stop drinking soft drinks, use natural tree soaps, wash hands frequently, do not touch face and affected areas all the time you're just feeding them, salt water and sunlight ie the beach.

That's what works for me.
The secret ingredient in that recipe is the ocean and the sun.

My 2 cents.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I posted a thread a few months ago asking for homeopathic remedies and the out pouring of info was amazing. I now used several of the suggestions I got on a daily basis.

*Buttermilk wash
*Apple Cider Vinegar
*Honey
*Green tea
*Steaming 3x a week
Just to name a few...

I also went to my DR and had a full blood work up. Turned out I have Hypothyroidism and my Estrogen was low and my Testosterone was high. I hate to take meds, but once I started in on correcting those imbalances from within my skin became clear in two weeks. It was amazing really, and I feel like a new person. Not to mention that I have also been dropping the pounds. I also stopped drinking soda, using sugar, and eating bread. It's worth taking the Meds to feel this way and I'm glad I found what the problem was.
I have been living with acne for 15 years and to be free finally is a wonderful, life changing thing. I am going to try the avocado mask if I can keep myself from eating it instead.

Also a tip for those with pock marks and/or large pores. I make an egg white mask, leave on till dry then gently wipe off with a washcloth using cold water. The egg white smooths out the pock marks wonderfully and make them less noticeable as well as shrink the pores. I do that before I put on make-up.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I had gone on Accutain 2 seperate times. I have had horrible acne since i was 14. giant puss filled cists the size of quarters on my face back and chest. I have a lot of scars.

As a child we never really had fast food. i did have soda but not much. for the most part we ate pretty well but myself, my sister and father all had horrible skin.

I had gone through every treatment possible before i tried accutain when i was 18. I did it for only half of the time durration but had to stop because the side effects were to strong for me at the time. i grew depressed, even more then because of the acne. My lips were bleeding and cracked all the time and could not stay hydrated.

Either way i just delt with the acne for the next 10 years. It got better some times and then got worse again. 2 years ago i decided to go back on Accutain and stuck with the treatment.

It was hard but so far my skin has been clear and I am much more confident and happy. Every once in a blue moon i will get a pimple here or there but nothing like how it used to be. For me this was inherited and dietary solutions did not help.

Just thought i would add my personal experience. It was a paralizing time for me and i dont wish it on anyone. I could not even take my shirt off infront of my girlfriend (now wife) for over a year because i was so scared of what she might think.

i know my spelling is off all over the place here, but i am sick and i dont care enough to fix it
edit on 9-12-2011 by TheInterceptor because: bad speller

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I had severe cystic acne from age 13 to 25. It affected my life and harmed me emotionally. Believe me, I tried all the home remedies and products out there. Every single one. No luck

The only two things that worked was Accutane (I experienced no side effects except dry mouth) and tretinoin cream (by perscription only).

That was 25 years ago and the Accutane cured my acne forever and changed my life. I still use the tretinoin occasionally to exfoliate and renew my skin. I'm 52 and have terrific skin. People say I look 10 years younger than I am.

I understand the fear of pharm drugs but in some cases it is the only solution.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Sunlight will help acne among other skin conditions.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Before you people start taking Roacctuane, I suggest you inform yourselves a little first before making the decision.

Accutane, a popular acne treatment drug, has been linked to a number of serious psychological and physical health problems, most notably severe depression alleged to have resulted in suicide, birth defects and Crohn’s disease. Roche Pharmaceuticals, the creator and distributor of the drug, pulled it from the market on June 29, 2009, citing the high cost of defending Accutane lawsuits as one of the primary reasons.

Extremely high doses of Accutane exposed some patients to a number of serious health problems, including cataracts, optic neuritis, menstrual disturbances, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, hepatitis, corneal opacities, papilloedema, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, skeletal hyperostosis, extraosseous calcification, psychosis and depression. A number of health problems persisted even after discontinuing the use of Accutane; these health problems include hair loss, inflammatory bowel disease, degenerative disc disease and bone disease.

Legal Tube

So yea read a bit before dosing yourselves.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gamma MO

I understand the fear of pharm drugs but in some cases it is the only solution.

In which cases are those?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

There's no direct correlation between these items and acne.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Cool. I'm in my mid twenties, still have a little bit of acne, but it doesn't bother me.

As you've found, so many of the conventional medicinal treatments are crap. They cost a lot of money and don't show a lot of results.

It costs next to nothing to truly take care of yourself. That's been my experience. If anyone wants to look into alternative methods for taking care of your body, I'd look into the Bob Beck Protocol. I haven't used it myself, but have heard a lot of good things about it.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Had acne since I was 13 y/o. Took some pills when I was 18. They were called roacutan and it´s a hell of a medicine!
Very dry skin everywhere especially the lips (face). Could even lead to depression, fortunalety not in my case.
Anyway it helped pretty well.

Still got acne 17 years after but not far as bad as it was when I was a teenager.
My doctor told me recently that the only chance to get rid of it completly is to quit smoking.

Thought about it and deceided to live better with a few spots in the face and on the body rather than stop smoking.

Last but not least I have to say acne is not so bad. I had beautiful women my whole life and none of them thought it was ugly or something. Keep your head up! You lookin´ awesome!

EDIT: Drink a lot of water is helpful.
edit on 9-12-2011 by rocket88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rocket88

Thanks for the informative thread Mr. Konquest Abyss.

Thought id compile the useful tips/info ppl posted.

- Acne is genetic (no matter the intensity of your acne, your genetic makeup allows for the growth of acne)

- In the consumption and topical application of medicines and foods, different people with different genetic makeup, and chemical balance's, lead to different reasons for acne, so what we consume and apply to our faces may differ in results from person to person

- BE WARY OF ACCUTANE

- Wash your pillow case often

- Drink lots of water, Green Tea

- Cut out dairy

- Stop Smoking? (by the way what was it that you smoke rocket88)

- Get sunlight ? Dont get sunlight ? ( idk 2 different people stated one or the other would be helpful lol)

- Cheap n easy Topical applications
(natural oatmeal almond soap) www.yardleylondon.com...)
(Honey),
(Avocado),
(tiny bit of crushed aspirin and water paste or white (has to be white) toothpaste and leave on over night),
(EGG WHITES! Applied nightly before bed like a mask)
Couple others in the thread

- Konquest abyss promotes pharmaceutical propaganda lol JK

My personal 2 cents. use your psychic powers to heal your face!

and screw any degraders of people with acne, i dont care to please your prejudice ass, I care for that lukewarm healthy skin i once had as a baby!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dizTheWiz

Haha Dizl...
Your welcome buddy, thanks for putting in your two cents as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizTheWiz
reply to post by rocket88

- Stop Smoking? (by the way what was it that you smoke rocket88)

The doc said stop smokin cigarettes. And it makes no difference if tobacco or weed. That´s what he said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join