It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Acne?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
Up to 50 years ago, aspirin and pennicillen worked on most of the illness that wasn't viral in origin. When the last time you heard either of them mentioned outside a stroke/heart attack commercial? I'm the grandson of a shaman. Can you seriously be blind to the labels being branded on everyday conditions that are just a part of aging? If someone has an ache or pain, 10 people are lined up to name and cure it, all of which likely for for some lab. Too much money to be made on peoples fears. We are the most dosed country on the planet. Notice the growing curve on phychological and physiological issues in this country? Propaganda! I thought you wanted a cure for acne. That's all I'm offering. Not intending to attack med research.
edit on 8-12-2011 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

I understand what you mean and completely agree. However, not this author hopefully, but millions of people out there don't have access too or are aware of ancient medicine and only know of the drugs. I always try to tell people there's a big difference between medicine which the intent is to cure and a drug which the intent is to pause a debilitating physical ailment.

I was suggesting that the author look into a few variables. Maybe once they figure these variables out, they will be able to cure their acne or another persons acne.

However, what works for one person may not work for the next person.

Medicine is always the best choice when trying to cure anything...."Just Say No To Drugs"

edit on 12/8/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

I have seen egg whites cure a solid pimpled face before. Less severe as well. Always without exception. I havent researched it but I suspect it works similarly to the bacteria in raw honey.

link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

I just dislike it when people try to flip the script when I am actually trying to help others out. I do understand this is a conspiracy site and trust me I had my battle scars here, but this has nothing to do with conspiracy or propaganda... And I don't even go to doctors, why? because I can just get a medical book and do it myself by just reading...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm all about support of homeopathics. Its a forgotten trade. Priceless in the absence of technology. I'll try to read the whole post next.
Merry Christmas!
www.wilderness-survival.net...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I have a tendency to get to technical sometimes...but I mean well. I think you are doing a wonderful job by trying to assist others...Keep up the great work

edit on 12/8/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I can say that Accutane changed my life for the better.

The only side effect I suffered was dry skin and mucous membranes. I still have very dry skin. My only regret was not finding out about it before I got to college. The mental scars from having acne are far worse than the physical ones.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I never had a skin problem til my early 20's and it's genetic.

I had Nodular/Cystic Acne acne and it was so bad I refused to leave my house. It made me depressed and I just didnt like the way I looked. My dad had bad acne and I inherited it from him. I spent god knows how much money at dermatologists on creams, pills and treatments. Nothing worked and some made it worse or caused other side effects.

When I was about 24-25 I begged my dermatologist to give me Accutane. I knew the side effects and what could happen and at that point I didn't care. I felt all the side effects were a trade off for a complexion I can look at in the mirror. She put me on it and OMG it cleared my skin up so fast I couldn't believe it. I will never forget the first time I woke up and went to the store without a 20min skin covering regime. I went to Wal Mart for groceries and as silly as it sounds I felt great! Nobody was looking or staring and kids didnt make comments about my "boo boos."

The accutane worked but I had some permanent side effects (bad night vision, damaged hair, stomach issues and dry skin) I would not recommend accutane to anyone because it is a very harmful drug. I was desperate which is why I took it, not saying that is good either but I felt it was my last option. Well the acne came back a couple years later but not as bad, but it was still there and it caused scarring. Nodular acne is under the skin so you can't do anything about it. You can't put a compress on it and let it pop. They hurt and are deep and cause scarring. I have a little more scarring on one side than the other....My friends say I make a bigger deal out of it than it really is but it's my face! Again I tried all kinds of creams and topical ointments and nothing worked. It wasnt as bad this time but it was still there and I didn't want it anymore esp as an adult.

Anyway one day I was at the Dollar Tree and picked up some bar soap by Yardley's of London Oatmeal Almond. I bought it for body soap and well used it on my face and let me tell you, it worked wonders. I can't believe to this day that a dollar bar of soap from the Dollar Tree cleared my skin up more than any cream, pill or ointment I had ever been prescribed. I don't know what it is, if it's the oatmeal or the almond or both but my skin is soft and smooth. I don't break out unless Aunt Flo is in town
and my friends and bf have made comments on how my skin has improved. I have been using this soap for a year now and I will never wash my face with anything else again.

I am going to assume that the soap works because it's all natural, nothing added, no chemicals to irritate my already sensitive skin. IDK what it is but I am literally in love with this soap. I tried all the home remedies and nothing worked and believe me I sat at my computer one day and googled "at home acne remedies" and tried everything I could find...some made my skin worse, IE tea tree oil. No matter what they say, that stuff is not good for your skin, well mine anyway. It made me break out so damn bad I wanted to cry and throw that bottle at the girl who sold it to me telling me it was for acne. Yea right! Salyicic Acid is horrible and Benzoyil Peroxide well bleaches everything it touches so imagine what it does to your skin....

Anyway, sorry for going on lol but this is something I feel Im an expert in from personal experience.

I know everyones body reacts different but I truly believe all natural is the way to go esp when you have sensitive skin. Those chemicals do nothing but harm your skin and make it worse by irritating it.

I would also like to add that one should NOT use Proactiv. I used it and it worked but your body builds up immunity to it and it stops working so when you go off of it watch out you will break out bad! I know many people who found this out. It is good to use but not for any permanent regiment.

S&F

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I am SO GLAD you posted this, because my 19 year old daughter was just on the phone crying to me about her acne, which has gotten horribly out of control. She has gone to the dermatologist several times already, and each time he tries to push her on Accutane, but after researching it, she and I decided that it was too dangerous.

Do not put her on that. Does she have nodular acne? If she doesn't then I'd suggest finding a new dermatologist because he shouldnt be trying to put her on that. Accutane is only to be prescribed for nodular/cystic acne and imo any doctor trying to prescribe it otherwise is insane and doesnt care! I was on it and it worked wonders BUT I have decreased night vision and my regular vision was decreased. I have dryer skin, which to me wasnt bad cause before it was oily, I also had stomach issues and the one thing that bothers me most is my hair. I had nice hair prior to accutane and well now not so much. It was thick and full, it's still thick and fully but by half and it's dull no matter what I do and I lose so much hair it's a wonder I still have any! My nails became really brittle from it but I constantly keep Sally Hansen's Hard as Nail clear coat on and it is actually really good.....

I completely sympathize with your daughter. I was a grown adult when I had to deal with mine and I'd cry every morning washing my face because it actually hurt to wash it. It hurt when the water hit my face, it was very uncomfortable.....

The one cream I used that worked that wasn't that bad and didn't give me any kind of crazy side effects was Tazorac Cream. It was a spot treatment and worked but I didn't use it for any length of time to see if I would get any long term effects. The only side effects that gave me were bleached sheets

As for the accutane, you are right in not putting her on it.

edit on 12/9/2011 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
The mental scars from having acne are far worse than the physical ones.

I agree 1000% My skin is my ONLY insecurity. I have no other insecurities with my looks but my skin. It's your face and lets face it people can be CRUEL even as adults....

Accutane changed my life too in a good way and I dont fault the makers for it or my doctor for the side effects I had that were permanent. I literally begged my doctor for it. I have been asked to join class action law suits but I refuse to jump on the sue happy bandwagon when I knew very well what could happen. I mean they hand you a BOOK as you know with side effects and such so there is no excuse that someone would act surprised. That books was quite scary but to me I felt I had no other option because my skin was causing severe depression...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
Forget everything you have read here and have ever heard before about pimples. Its all pharmaceutical propaganda! There's an 'old' home remedy that was used for centuries with astounding success. The fact it is so easily accessible and unpatentable is why it was allowed to fade into a distant memory..
EGG WHITES! Applied nightly before bed like a mask will rid even the worst pizza face of pimples and scarring in 2 weeks. Wash your face off in the morning. It will 'cure' the acne.

That is not necessarily true..... I did this and it made my skin WORSE. It clogs the pores! Some of these remedies do work for pimples, true acne (nodular/cystic) isn't so easily cured.

Pizza face? Rude much! People like you and that mentality are why I went on something like accutane. Do you have any idea what it is like to have skin like that? Obviously you dont cause if you did you wouldnt be calling people with acne pizza face.....

Also do you have any idea how bad this smells to go to bed with? I do, it makes you want to gag but I was desperate and tried it and it failed.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I like to thank everyone for putting in their 2 cents on this subject... If we couldn't help ourselves in time at least we can help out others before it becomes a life long problem without the expensive medications or laser surgeries... Jah Bless

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Genetic? So all Gingers are doomed for pink skinned acne because of genetics?

Proactive... I bought it and you're right, it works at first, then watch out, it comes back 100X worse. Use rubbing alcohol, costs $1 at the dollar store. Dries the area out preventing further breakouts. Also stopping the foods that cause it are equal in prevention, otherwise all the chemicals you throw at it are futile..

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Rubbing alcohol is bad for the skin because it leaves it dry, unless you add something to moisturize it afterwards, but I don't recommend alcohol because it is harsh to your skin. It may dry out the acne at first but it could damage it in the long run. Then yet it all depends how hypersensitive your skin may be.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS

Rubbing alcohol is bad for the skin because it leaves it dry, unless you add something to moisturize it afterwards, but I don't recommend alcohol because it is harsh to your skin. It may dry out the acne at first but it could damage it in the long run. Then yet it all depends how hypersensitive your skin may be.

Skin with acne is the most dirty/oily I'd say, leaving it dry seems like the best answer to a temporary solution. That is until the owner of that physical body decides to dine in/out better. You can invent whatever solution you'd like, but nothing beats the basics.... clean food and clean air/water.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Skin with acne is the most dirty/oily I'd say, leaving it dry seems like the best answer to a temporary solution. That is until the owner of that physical body decides to dine in/out better. You can invent whatever solution you'd like, but nothing beats the basics.... clean food and clean air/water.

Acne is not necessarily related to a person's personal hygiene, and it is misconceptions and assumptions like that that can be hurtful. Diet and exercise may help, it may worsen the condition too. Often it is simply a matter of patiently eliminating all options and finding the solution that suits the individual. Any chronic condition, however mild or severe, requires management. And commitment. Something like acne can be horribly debilitating to a persons confidence, especially as it usually manifests itself at puberty, when there are already enough things to deal with and changes to adapt to. It doesn't help I am sure when people who are blessed with trouble free complexions assume they are dirty. Such attacks on a persons self-esteem can lead to later problems with OCD. It doesn't cost anything, or take any real effort to say nothing if you haven't got anything nice to say.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
What I think is particularly tragic, is that we live in a society where esteem is so wrapped up in our outward appearance, that individuals would risk their long term health for the sake of their vanity. There are plenty of natural and effective treatments for acne, none of them perfect, none of them fail safe, but with commitment, they work most of the time. Calendula for one. Life isn't as short as people make out, getting to know yourself and your body, as early as possible, is the best preparation for a long and healthy life. Listen to it and you can get away with doing to it pretty much anything. Within reason. But it is better, in the long run, to take the slow and steady approach, than to fall for the quick fix solution that only brings greater problems.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I've had acne most of my life, and it got worse as an adult. Multiple dermatologists, Proactiv, you-name-it. It was so bad that I was using extra-strength Retin-A on it up to twice a day, and it wasn't helping. I also had the deep-knot kind.

What finally helped is I cut out all dairy. If I am 100% dairy free, I won't have a single bump on my face.

It helps the overall appearance of my face if I drink around 100 ounces of water per day. My pores look better, my skin is radiant. But this doesn't seem to affect the acne. Only the dairy.

The person who said acne sufferers are dirty? What a terrible thing to say.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

anti-inflammatorys are the key...I use tea tree oil to great effect...put a drop in dmae lotion..mix with a qtip and wa-la...

keep you face clean...wash before bed and wake up..keeps dirt off...don't eat crap..water! water!...and idk if its revelent but stay outta of the sun. ..

for spot treatment use a tiny bit of crushed aspirin and water paste or white (has to be white) toothpaste and leave on over night....it works!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

reply to post by mblahnikluver

Genetic? So all Gingers are doomed for pink skinned acne because of genetics?

Proactive... I bought it and you're right, it works at first, then watch out, it comes back 100X worse. Use rubbing alcohol, costs $1 at the dollar store. Dries the area out preventing further breakouts. Also stopping the foods that cause it are equal in prevention, otherwise all the chemicals you throw at it are futile..

'

You seriously going to argue with me on genetics and what is passed down from my parents?! HAHA, get a grip. Yes it is genetic. My twin sister has the SAME problem and it started in our adulthood. My dad had horrible skin, my mom didn't. I also have a brother who didnt get a single pimple his whole life! My brother has my moms side of the families genes, my sister and i are spitting images of our dad....so yea that includes the acne! Yes it's genetic.

Also wth did I mention red heads?! You are reaching, genetics play a huge part in things like this. Obesity and depression are genetic, doesn't mean everyone will get it but it can be passed down. Many things are genetic, um heart conditions can be genetic so yea ACNE can be genetic.

AS for food, that is not necessarily true. I dont eat junk or greasy fattening foods, I prefer to cook my own food thank you. My dermatologist even said food isn't a major factor, it's a small factor and even then it depends on your internal make up and how your body deals with chemical changes. I eat chocolate every single day and that is one of the biggest myths about skin. Actually chocolate, dark chocolate is good for your skin!

You have no idea what you are talking about. I have have spent hundreds of hours researching acne and it's causes since I started having huge cysts on my face so I think I'm a little more qualified to say what causes it and what doesn't. I always research something that involves my health and let me tell you I was willing to try anything to get rid of it..........I almost went so far as to wash my face with your first mornings urine, an at home remedy, but even I thought that was a bit much.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about! Food has nothing to do with most types of acne! When you have cystic acne it has nothing to do with what you eat and it IS genetic and has more to do with your chemical make up whether you like it or not!

Do you know the types of acne? Here let me educate you:
types of acne~mild-cystic

^^^ has nothing to do with eating McDonalds and everything to do with hormones and your body's changes INSIDE!

That is a cyst, do you have ANY Idea what it is like to have those all over your face? I do and it has nothing to do with what I ate!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join