It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else really dislike TV?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
*mods: This should probably be in rant section*

I don't know how much longer i can handle cable television at all,
I'm glad i don't watch it that much.

The news is on now, the girlfriends on the phone, and im here in front of my computer. It was showing obama's speech as i walked by to go out on the deck. I watched it for a few seconds and couldn't do it,

Now Talking about some useless garbage..

Commercials too, i sit there and rip up every single commercial i see, i dont know, maybe im just an angry person or something

Remember, Take this drug to treat this specific issue, and gain 30 other issues that are worse than what you have. Talk to your doctor if you have suicidal thoughts or actions?? You have to be kidding me?

The only reason i watch it is for a few specific shows, and i dont even like that, i didnt have cable in my old place, i only got it because of the girlfriend.. aaand. I was much happier without cable, I had my own media server and watched stuff with no commercials, and no crappy news. The internet has all the news i need, I hear the spin every time i listen to the news, i wonder how people fall into this trap they have created, i see right through it like a pane of glass,

It just screams bullsh!t at me for some reason, Anyone else get the same thing?
edit on 8/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Yeah, anymore television is just an annoyance IMO and a complete distraction from life.

No real content, no originality...nothing new or entertaining...just blah...blah...blah 24/7.
edit on 12/8/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I watch American Dad, Family Guy, South Park, The Walking Dead. Which can all be found online so I don't have a need for the TV, but when I'm doing something I have Sky News on in the background or TalkSport. Commercials are too annoying for me these days I swear they don't want me to buy anything because EVERYTHING on TV pisses me off to no end.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
studies show two things

50% of all statistics are made up
and people remember things longer that piss them off.

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Totally agree. I can´t even watch Discovery Kids with my daughter because of the excess of garbage commercials.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I have no TV. My ex loved it, I hated it. She took it with her when she left and I don't miss it one bit. Cable costs 10-15 euros here for the basic channel bundle so its at least 100 euros saved (which I don't have anyway). People use it to relax after coming home from work or as a background noise. I'd rather have silence or music than ads, jingles and sound-bites anyday. The off button might be the first option you could try.

link   
Sounds odd but I love my television! I only watch silly sci-fi stuff and the shows that show other people working or inventing stuff. You can learn a ton from TV shows if you are selective in what you watch. Of course I have a DVR so I have not seen a commercial in years.........

No sports, No main stream news, no sitcoms. Just pure escapism or a show that features something I can learn something I did not know about......

link   
I totally agree. Every time i feel like Stan in this episode when i watch TV.

Every thing is ultra-fake

South Park Duck President
edit on 8-12-2011 by ReleaseThePressure because: link fix

link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Yeah, anymore television is just an annoyance IMO.

No real content, no originality...nothing new or entertaining...just blah...blah...blah 24/7.

Yeah, Some days it's worse than others.
I guess it depends on what i think about during the day, if i think about how effed everything is, i think it gets worse.

But yeah, its mostly just blah blah blah. X factor? Isn't that the exact same thing as american idol? Game shows where people win hundreds of thousands, or perhaps a few million dollars.. Annnnd, billions are stolen every single day through a variety of different ways, be it interest, inflation, bank fees, other fees. More fees. Property fees, HST, GST, PST, Fuel, Military industrial complex, etc etc But it goes deeper, so much.

I have to sometimes stand back from my own mind and just sink into the fabric of daily life for a few days.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Ask your doctor if _________is right for you?

There are only a few shows that I look forward to anymore.

Oh well!

link   
I agree. I refuse to watch tv. The few programs I do like I watch online with no commercials. I find myself unable to stomach most tv programs though. Most of them make me want to puke.

link   
I hardly ever turn my new TV on these days.
As already been stated most of what I like to watch is available online. I can't think as slow as some TV shows plots play out.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I hate western TV. Especially the news channels, such as CNN & FOX

Why do they have to lie all the time. Infidels

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I haven't watched TV in years people at work think I'm kinda odd but I've traveled and done more stuff than they ever will. OHHH I went to Mexico for a week. we went to mexico 4 times last year. Cell phone by the minute and no cable

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

When I was young I was a tv fanatic. Now I am a tv hater. It doesn't matter how many channels one has there is nothing on to watch. Gone are the days of good weekly programs and good movies. Now its garbage, garbage. I learned to turn off the commercials years ago now I just turn off the tv. I unplugged from all of it over 1 yeaar ago and haven't regretted it one min.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I hardly ever turn my new TV on these days.
As already been stated most of what I like to watch is available online. I can't think as slow as some TV shows plots play out.

Yeah, thats why i'm building a new Home theater PC as soon as possible.
With an awesome wireless remote/keyboard
And a few TB of space, Customize my entertainment experience, instead of the BS pumped through cable tv

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

When I was young I was a tv fanatic. Now I am a tv hater. It doesn't matter how many channels one has there is nothing on to watch. Gone are the days of good weekly programs and good movies. Now its garbage, garbage. I learned to turn off the commercials years ago now I just turn off the tv. I unplugged from all of it over 1 yeaar ago and haven't regretted it one min.

I used to love TV as well, and game consoles.
Now i hate TV, don't own a console, i play PC games now, and i like to build computers. I have a decent one

I just dont get how people get so..perplexed.. on the news, like "THE NEWS IS RIGHT, ALWAYS" style... and all it is is blah blah, lies lies, distract distract.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MahmoudAhmadinejad
I hate western TV. Especially the news channels, such as CNN & FOX

Why do they have to lie all the time. Infidels

Agreed, I live in canada, but i get american TV, and well..
I don't like it much, only specific shows. No news, ever.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
For the past few years I watched American Idol and House, but the commercials every few minutes became so agrivating that I quit watching House and only watch American Idol ever other week or every 3rd week. I do not watch their stupid auditions at all. The TV has been unplugged and will remain so omdefinitly.

I also used to watch the news, but it became nothing but reports of car wreck, fires, burgleries with a little national and world sprinkled in. Not enough to really learn what is going on. Even the weather on the 9's or 8's or whatever. When I turn it on to see the radar, I get there just in time to see the tide schedule and have to wait another 9 minutes to see the radar - and then they only show it briefly, unless there is a real big storm going on.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
THANK GOD!!!
And here I thought I was the only one who absolutely despised TV. ~Phew~
I will refrain from ranting cause I could easily exceed my character post limit. EASILY!

You are not alone my friend, I too hate it with a passion.

The news is a joke. Almost no truth what so ever.

Commercials are becoming more and more. granted some of them are entertaining, but all are pointless crap usually doing nothing more than trying to sell you some junk they claim is great meanwhile in all actuality it's useless.

The suspense. This one probably grates on my nerves the most. I can't stand watching a TV show and right when something is gonna happen Commercial.
Auction Hunters for example. Guy buys a storage unit and when they dig through it to see what they bought there is a moment of excitement as they find something good. Just as the camera goes to look at it, commercial. WTF!!!

Anyway, those are my 3 biggest peeves about TV. We are inundated with crap 24/7 on television and I really do think it's dumbing down our society into mindless sheep.

After I watch a half hour of television, I actually feel stupider. I feel a great need to go online and read something intelligent or enlightening. Oh wait, the inundation of crap is starting to proliferate there too ffs!

Oh well, I guess it's time to go to my happy place and get away from it all.
Skyrim here I come.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join