It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Shows Video of Purported U.S. Drone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Iran Shows Video of Purported U.S. Drone

www.time.com

Iranian state TV broadcast video Thursday of what it said was the high-tech U.S. drone that Tehran says its forces downed earlier this week, and lodged a diplomatic complaint over the violation of its airspace.
The more than two minutes of footage showed Iranian military officials inspecting what state TV identified as the RQ-170 Sentinel drone, and offered the first evidence that Tehran had captured the aircraft. The beige-colored drone appeared intact and undamaged.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well, I guess the rumor of Iran shooting down a US drone is true. But the thing that has me wondering is why do we have drones in Iranian airspace? Is the US preparing for an invasion? Or doing reconnaissance? I read up on the RQ-170 Sentinel drone and from what I read it's used for a "tactical, operations-oriented platform and not a strategic intelligence-gathering design". What are your thoughts?

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-12-2011 by jganer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

BBC Report.

If the manage to reverse engineer this; US will not be the only one with stealth drone tech.

Hope they give this to china; so they can mass produce this and then everyone can buy one.!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The RQ-170 is very old technology and the internal components could only generously be described as sparse. From what I understand of the computer system, it would be almost impossible to "hack" the drone to purposely engage in a controlled crash.

In addition, the altitude of the drone is beyond the range of AA fire. I have read reports that the most likely situation is that the Iranians got word that the drone was stationed at Base X and positioned their newly acquired Russian electronic intelligence and jamming system known as “Avtobaza" along the border. Then they simply need to have border sentries watch the skies and hope for the best. This would also explain the 5 day lag between the crash and Iran announcing they had the drone. It took them that long to actually locate it after it went down.

This is only speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised at all if the intelligence supplied to Iran about the drone being stationed at Base X was actually supplied by the CIA. The RQ-170 is considered expendable (the main reason it was also used in the Usama Bin Laden raid for pre-intelligence) and would be the ideal candidate to insert a very sneaky and hidden trojan.

Basically the ideal would be let the Iranians have the outdated craft with its minimal software package, knowing they would try to reverse-engineer the code, they would infect their own systems and open the possibility of a back door being unlocked.

If this is the case, it really would be very clever.

Just my two cents on this developing story.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordOfArcadia
The RQ-170 is very old technology and the internal components could only generously be described as sparse. From what I understand of the computer system, it would be almost impossible to "hack" the drone to purposely engage in a controlled crash.

In addition, the altitude of the drone is beyond the range of AA fire. I have read reports that the most likely situation is that the Iranians got word that the drone was stationed at Base X and positioned their newly acquired Russian electronic intelligence and jamming system known as “Avtobaza" along the border. Then they simply need to have border sentries watch the skies and hope for the best. This would also explain the 5 day lag between the crash and Iran announcing they had the drone. It took them that long to actually locate it after it went down.

This is only speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised at all if the intelligence supplied to Iran about the drone being stationed at Base X was actually supplied by the CIA. The RQ-170 is considered expendable (the main reason it was also used in the Usama Bin Laden raid for pre-intelligence) and would be the ideal candidate to insert a very sneaky and hidden trojan.

Basically the ideal would be let the Iranians have the outdated craft with its minimal software package, knowing they would try to reverse-engineer the code, they would infect their own systems and open the possibility of a back door being unlocked.

If this is the case, it really would be very clever.

Just my two cents on this developing story.

That makes perfect sense! I also suspected they used newly acquired Russian technology. But the question still is why was it in Iranian airspace? Can't we just use satellites instead of using drones that have the possibility of getting shot down?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jganer

Yes and no. Yes, we can use the cameras in space, but even third and fourth tier players know the routes and time tables for the sats. If you have something to hide, you just cover it up before the birds fly overhead. Using drones, while more vulnerable, give you the element of surprise. I am going off topic but this is why the mil loves the X-37B. All of the benefits of the sats and the drones.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

According to international law, violation of a sovereign states airspace constitutes an act of war and can be referred to the UN Security Council.

Lets see what happens there, I bet the UN would tell them to rack off considering it is an american shill.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
All the Kings horses and all the Kings men couldn't put up another hi-Tech Drone Again. Wow it does make that program rather obsolete now doesn't it.So much for stealth, so much for speed, so much for the Black Projects...what else is there to say?

UNLESS:::
edit on 8-12-2011 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LordOfArcadia

What is your source for this info you are presenting ??? peace

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Already posted here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join