It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia becomes aspirant member of NATO, Russia threatens war

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrysalis
This is nuts...
NATO's rules say that a country can't join if they have unresolved border issues.

So how is the US allowed in then?...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Funny how people forget that Russia is not the USSR, heck even the Russians forget that fact now and again. It may end up be not worth the bother though in my opinion, just as many nut jobs there to cause trouble.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Putin: 'Rearming Georgia by U.S. Huge Mistake'

Russia’s PM Vladimir Putin said on February 22, that “rearming” Georgia by the United States was “a huge mistake” and Moscow was “constantly raising this issue” with Washington.

Putin said that the U.S. arms supply to Georgia “is an open secret”.

“We know that, we see that and we react appropriately, but not publicly, on that,” the Russian Prime Minister said.

Well well well.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It will be a long time before Georgia joins NATO, and they won't join if if it realistically risks war with Russia, which NATO, and particularly some members like Germany don't want. The hypocritical of some members here though defending Russia is ridiculous. If it was the US saying another small country couldn't join an organization these posters would be up in arms, almost smashing their keyboards while frothing at the mouth in response

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

This is nuts...
NATO's rules say that a country can't join if they have unresolved border issues.

NATO was created by America after WW2 ended.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Its georgias right as a sovereign nation to join NATO. Russia is still obviously the USSR, its just wearing a mask. Theyre angry that we are arming georgia, but yet they can help advance Irans nuclear weapons program? Hypocritical, let georgia join NATO.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Whoever decided that Georgia should be a part of NATO needs a smack across the head. But I guess they are more prepared to know what to expect. TIME TO EVACUATE WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
A scenario:

I live in a small country. There's a big country across the border from me that has traditionally liked to dominate me. So, I go to another big country with lots of friends and say, "Please let me in!"

And somehow, were this second big country work to bring the small country who is worried about the big bully on it's own block into their circle, they would be the aggressors, following the logic here. It doesn't add up to me.

Without condoning all NATO has done in other theaters, I can understand really well why the breakaway Soviet republics want into NATO, and frankly, I don't know why Russia has to be mollified at the expense of throwing the Georgians, Ukrainians and everyone else under the bus. Joining a defensive alliance is not a provocation to anyone.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

This is nuts...

I still object to the American geographers taking advantage of the over enjoyment of spirits of the Empire's geographer. Foul tactics. We should really get Washington state back.

Originally posted by cassandranova Joining a defensive alliance is not a provocation to anyone.

It is very provocative. But then Russia is playing hard ball with petroleum supplies to Europe, so the minutia of the chess game between The Three Seas will continue.
edit on 2012/2/24 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
and the world keeps going

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
We need to stay out of it.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by isaac7777

Georgia does not have a "RIGHT" to join a group (NATO).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join