It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO sighting over North East England

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajax_andy

I think this is probably the most likely explanation tbh, the moving clouds could certainly give the impression of movement in the opposite direction... It's possible my eyes just fooled me, but would I be able to capture Jupiter on an iPhone camera?

I would suggest it may be possible at the moment. I would go give it a try for you, but am wrapped up nicely in bed now. I can certainly give it a go tomorrow, cloud cover permitting.

Why don't you go give it a try. Jupiter should currently be about SSW at 45 degrees altitude. Just to the right and slightly lower than the moon. To give an idea of how bright it is, Sirius, the brightest star is a magnitude of -1.45 atm while Jupiter is currently -2.3. Literally, an order of magnitude brighter

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by waveguide3
You should first eliminate the planet Jupiter from the equation. It's the brightest object in the night sky right now (after the Moon). It's visible all night and looks like a torch shining in the sky. In a cloudy/windy setting, it seems to move, but not as fast as it appears to. It will transit from East to West as the night progresses.
WG3

I think this is probably the most likely explanation tbh, the moving clouds could certainly give the impression of movement in the opposite direction... It's possible my eyes just fooled me, but would I be able to capture Jupiter on an iPhone camera?

Absolutely, it's one of the brightest lights in the sky. Try getting google sky (free) for your iphone, point it at the light and wahlah you know what your looking at.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'm going to also say it could have been Jupiter, considering its brightness and the fact that it is low in the sky in Newcastle.

I've notice where I live (the Northeast US...Pennsylvania to be exact), Venus is beginning to be visible low in the southwest sky at nightfall. I realize that what you saw wasn't Venus due to your location in the world (it sets to soon after sunset for you), but I was intentionally watching it against the clouds and behind the treetops, and it, too looked to be "drifting". I knew I was looking at Venus, so I knew the drifting was only an optical illusion.

However, that just goes to show that even when you KNOW you are looking at a star/planet, your eyes can play tricks on you.

Now that Venus is becoming visible again this year, I'm sure we will have quite a few UFO sightings that will turn out to actually be Venus (like we often do). I'm not trying to insult those who think Venus is a UFO -- on the contrary. Due to its brightness and the fact it is often low on the horizon (with clouds and trees moving near it), it doesn't shock me that people think it is a moving light. I think it looks like it is moving sometimes myself (I mean more than it does due to earth's rotation), but that's just an illusion.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Today in Northern England it's VERY windy and there are lots of weather warnings, and I observed this light slowly moving against the wind and so I can rule out any sort of chinese lantern as it would be moving with the wind not against it.
I want to clear up something about this kind of statement about lanterns or balloons. The wind moves in different directions at different altitudes. A balloon could easily appear to be moving against what you perceive to be the direction of the wind. .
edit on 8-12-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hi, is difficult to understand what is that, the video is also very short, but anyway, i know that is not easy to film especially when you're out with the dog and suddenly you see something, in this case an UFO (Unidentified flying object). Anyway, good job.

If you want watch my UFOs playlist (24 videos). There are some videos that are amazing.

www.youtube.com...

Bye
edit on 8-12-2011 by TheAreaS4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2011 by TheAreaS4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
seems im not far from newcastle [middlesbrough] ill be watchin the sky a little more closly as i never hear of anything like this close to me

top topics

<< 1   >>

join