It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Obituary printed in the London Times.....Absolutely brilliant !!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumCypher

Very good reply..........you ought to do a obit and submit it to a paper or ATS.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelaisaac

I found this article here: www.bbc.co.uk...

Obituary of Common Sense

On BBC Radio Stoke's Mid-Morning show, presenter Stuart George mourned the death of 'common sense'. So many people asked for a copy of what he read out, we thought it only fair to re-produce it here...

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Knowing when to come in out of the rain; why the early bird gets the worm:

Life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults are in charge not children)

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of an 8 year old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student, but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims,

Common sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common sense finally gave up the will to live, after a women failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common sense was preceded in death, by his parents, truth and trust

His wife, discretion

His daughter, Responsibility

His son, reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers

I know my rights

I want my rights

I want it now

I’m a victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on if not, join the majority and do nothing.
This is a modified version of a text that's originally attributed to Lori Borgman (www.loriborgman.com)

If you go here: www.snopes.com... This obit is attributed to Lori Borgman. I will keep researching. Anyway, it's a good article I thought would be of interest to ATSers.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Logic still exist in the few that harbor it.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
great stuff. And true as well.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
There is no common sense anymore, its 'TV Sense'. Common Sense went away when the internet bacame the norm.

snrRog

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelaisaac

I have e-mailed The London Times and if they reply back I will let you know.

Possibly this was just the title of a article attributed to

Did find this info here, Source: familyrightsassociation.com...

Obituary author FOUND! And we DO love to give people credit!
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 2:47 AM
Subject: The Death of Common Sense

Hi, there,

My name is Lori Borgman. I am a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist andI the author of the piece "The Death of Common Sense" posted on your site, familyrightsassociation.com...

Someone probably sent it to you in an e-mail. I've received it several times myself and I'm the one who wrote it. You're welcome to the piece, but I do ask that you copy and paste it from my Web site and credit the piece to me and list my web site address. The piece is copyrighted.

You can find it at this link: loriborgman.blogspot.com...

Thanks much,
Lori

www.loriborgman.com

Author of the humor book "All Stressed Up and No Place To Go"

Now available wherever books are sold
Note: This piece was first published March 15, 1998 in the Indianapolis Star. It has been "modified" and "edited" by others and circulated on the Internet, even sent to me several times. Imagine my surprise to see it attributed to some guy named Anonymous. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I take having my work circulated on the web as a compliment.

But, it's still a good article and Lori's site is interesting, she's a good writer I think.

Her site: www.loriborgman.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tagasbob
I don't mean to # on the parade but...

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

The "reliable strategies" here I have a problem with. Old men have led us to war countless times over the last century, while the youth largely protest, and it hasn't changed one bit. It's still that way. I don't think the youth can be blamed for today's troubles.
edit on 8-12-2011 by tagasbob because: (no reason given)

What can be said other than if you don't get it you don't got it

edit on 8-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Not the London Times:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I agree with about 99.9% of this post. Up until a few days ago, I would have said that I agreed with it 100% absolutely without doubt. But between then and now, I watched the HBO documentary "Hot Coffee" (Link ->). I would strongly encourage any who have not watched it to do so.

Here is the part I no longer agree with:

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

I thought I knew the details of that McDonald's case...turns out I did not. The old woman was not driving (she was a passenger). The car was not on the road - they pulled into an empty spot in the parking lot so she could prepare her coffee (add sugar/cream). With the coffee gripped between her knees, she struggled to get the lid off, and yes she did accidentally spill the coffee on herself. Her claim against McDonald's was not that it was their fault she spilled the coffee...the claim was that the coffee was much, much too hot...scalding hot in fact.

If you watch "Hot Coffee", they show pictures of what the coffee did to that poor woman. I strongly suggest that you only watch if you have a strong stomach. I was truly shocked at just how gruesome her injuries were.

This documentary focuses on other cases as well, and sheds some light on the issue of tort reform, and how big biz in America is spending TONS of money to elect judges/officials that will pass favorable decisions in cases where citizens have brought civil charges against said corporations / big biz, and the gross misrepresentation of the McDonald's case was one of the biggest "silver bullets" in their gun for their sell job.

I totally agree with the sentiment behind OP's post....and I even hold a lot of disdain for frivolous lawsuits based out of greed....but had to speak up about the coffee case.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
My friends,

I posted this last year when I came across it, and it is GREAT to see it posted again

See my signature

Be safe be well, love and loved.

Spiro

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I found the original author and where this first appeared, it's since been added to and the original article (not the one posted initially in the opening thread).

Obituary author FOUND! And we DO love to give people credit!
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 2:47 AM
Subject: The Death of Common Sense

Hi, there,

My name is Lori Borgman. I am a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist andI the author of the piece "The Death of Common Sense" posted on your site, familyrightsassociation.com...

Someone probably sent it to you in an e-mail. I've received it several times myself and I'm the one who wrote it. You're welcome to the piece, but I do ask that you copy and paste it from my Web site and credit the piece to me and list my web site address. The piece is copyrighted.

You can find it at this link: loriborgman.blogspot.com...

Thanks much,
Lori

www.loriborgman.com

Author of the humor book "All Stressed Up and No Place To Go"

Note: This piece was first published March 15, 1998 in the Indianapolis Star. It has been "modified" and "edited" by others and circulated on the Internet, even sent to me several times. Imagine my surprise to see it attributed to some guy named Anonymous. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I take having my work circulated on the web as a compliment.

The Death of Common Sense
By Lori Borgman

Three yards of black fabric enshroud my computer terminal. I am mourning the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

His obituary reads as follows:

Common Sense, aka C.S., lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, his birth records were long ago entangled in miles and miles of bureaucratic red tape.

Known affectionately to close friends as Horse Sense and Sound Thinking, he selflessly devoted himself to a life of service in homes, schools, hospitals and offices, helping folks get jobs done without a lot of fanfare, whooping and hollering. Rules and regulations and petty, frivolous lawsuits held no power over C.S.

A most reliable sage, he was credited with cultivating the ability to know when to come in out of the rain, the discovery that the early bird gets the worm and how to take the bitter with the sweet. C.S. also developed sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adult is in charge, not the kid) and prudent dietary plans (offset eggs and bacon with a little fiber and orange juice).

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the Technological Revolution and the Smoking Crusades, C.S. survived sundry cultural and educational trends including disco, the men's movement, body piercing, whole language and new math.

C.S.'s health began declining in the late 1960s when he became infected with the If-It-Feels-Good, Do-It virus. In the following decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal and state rules and regulations and an oppressive tax code. C.S. was sapped of strength and the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, criminals received better treatment than victims and judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional baseball and golf. His deterioration accelerated as schools implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of 6-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing classmates, a teen suspended for taking a swig of Scope mouthwash after lunch, girls suspended for possessing Midol and an honor student expelled for having a table knife in her school lunch were more than his heart could endure.

As the end neared, doctors say C.S. drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding regulations on low-flow toilets and mandatory air bags. Finally, upon hearing about a government plan to ban inhalers from 14 million asthmatics due to a trace of a pollutant that may be harmful to the environment, C.S. breathed his last. Services will be at Whispering Pines Cemetery. C.S. was preceded in death by his wife, Discretion; one daughter, Responsibility; and one son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, Half-Wit and Dim-Wit.

Memorial Contributions may be sent to the Institute for Rational Thought.

Farewell, Common Sense. May you rest in peace.

Source; infohost.nmt.edu...

Lori's website and articles: loriborgman.com...
edit on 8-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: Bolded original author's name and per author's request displayed her website.............very good writer!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Sorry I did a search and did not find it on ATS.

Great minds think alike!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
wow!
thats great.
be some people did not even know he was ALIVE!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Sunday Times is a Murdoch rag isn't it?

en.wikipedia.org...
The coffee was served according to McDonalds regulations:
180–190 °F (82–88 °C)
She suffered 3rd Degree burns.
One person might have died because of McDonalds Coffee
McDonalds lost the case after the court forced them to disclose their "hot coffee-accidents" file.
McDonalds has since then lowered their coffee temperature.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I wish to know who murdered Common Sense. It's was a way of life that taught people how to live peacefully. The ones who are only trying to express their love are only beaten down by the millions who hate.

So long, Common Sense, I'll see you when I see my Creator.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

As a favor, would one of our English ATSers living near Kensal please clean up his neglected grave and put at least a single rose on it?

Yes, I will.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Spiro

Sorry I did a search and did not find it on ATS.

Great minds think alike!

No need for a sorry, it was posted over a year ago so it was well lost in the depths of ATS

Great minds indeed my friend lol

Be safe be well, love and loved.

Spiro

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Great find.

It sure beats:

Here lies Les Moore

Four shots from a forty-four

No Les no more

I think the above is from a tombstone in Abilene, Kansas, or some place like that. I didn't write it. I'm still on the run.
Tombstone , Arizona ... Boot hill www.webpanda.com...

Here lies Lester Moore.

Four slugs

From a forty-four.

No Les

No More.
edit on 8-12-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
In a New Jersey cemetery

Rebecca Freeland

She drank good ale,

good punch and wine

And lived to the age of 99.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

If you like him, check out John William Godward

new topics