It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Obituary printed in the London Times.....Absolutely brilliant !!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Got this in a e-mail today from a friend and thought I would pass it along.

I do not take credit for this work, as the title says this came from The London Times.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense , who has been with us for many years.
No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.
Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
If you still remember him, pass this on.
If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Source: The London Times

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Here's the youtube video. I've read this before back in the day. It will never get old.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

R.I.P common sence you will be missed.
He was a life long freind who always looked after me.
Does anyone know when his funeral is?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Sad but true.
I loved it.
s&f

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't usually flag too many posts . . . but yours I did.

Thanks for that.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I don't mean to # on the parade but...

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

The "reliable strategies" here I have a problem with. Old men have led us to war countless times over the last century, while the youth largely protest, and it hasn't changed one bit. It's still that way. I don't think the youth can be blamed for today's troubles.
edit on 8-12-2011 by tagasbob because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

And I love your avatar.................my favorite painter, John William Waterhouse.

"The Crystal Ball" Painted in 1902........................one of the most romantic painters to have ever graced our planet.

John William Waterhouse died on 10th February 1917. Following a funeral service held at St Mark's Church in St John's Wood, London, his body was taken to be buried at Kensal Green Cemetery in northwest London. His grave is rundown and seemingly neglected these days as you will see from the photographs shown on this page. Source: www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com...

As a favor, would one of our English ATSers living near Kensal please clean up his neglected grave and put at least a single rose on it?

If I could afford to go to England, I would.

edit on 8-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: added name of painting.............check out John William Waterhouse. Buried in England in a small simple grave

edit on 8-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: Added ex marks and source for grave information
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I love this. I tried looking up the source but I cannot find it. Does anyone actually have the London Times site with the obituary post?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tagasbob

I think you missed the point.

Those men are indeed adults if you are only taking their age into consideration. However, it's their thought process/mentality which makes them childish.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

Wow, thanks and starred for the video.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tagasbob
I don't mean to # on the parade but...

The "reliable strategies" here I have a problem with. Old men have led us to war countless times over the last century , while the youth largely protest, and it hasn't changed one bit. It's still that way. I don't think the youth can be blamed for today's troubles.
edit on 8-12-2011 by tagasbob because: (no reason given)

You are talking about the last century... yet you fail to realise that over that last century - the youth that protested OBVIOUSLY grew into the old men that led us into new wars - so they did!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

We all have our own opinions don't we?

Two books you might want to read penned by Thomas Paine are, "The Rights of Man" and "Age of Reason".

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Thanks

I think he was brilliant.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The problem with common sense is it's not that common.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CarpenterMatt

Isnt that the point of this thread?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Bravo! great post! Why is it called "Common" sense? It sure as heck isn't COMMON now is it? In fact it's quite rare, this condition that knows that the snow fall's off the sunny side of the roof first.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ahh yes. sign of the times I'm afraid.

I also like that dead pool meme
he says "shh my common sense is tingling"
Followed by the meme creator saying
"common sense. So rare it's a god dam superpower"

Gold

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I believe this should become a mandatory reading by everyone. May Common Sense Rest with Peace. seriously I think "Peace" needs to have its own obituary as well.

So much honesty.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

They left something out of the article. Common Sense was actually one of a set of triplets, his brothers being Common Courtesy and Common Decency. Common Sense went through a rough time many years ago when his siblings suddenly went missing. Foul play was suspected, and his step-brothers were investigated, but unfortunately there was an incredible lack of evidence, as no one had seen or heard from either in years. He never quite recovered.

[Side note: Several months ago I started writing a song, basically about how everyone today wants to be specail, so much so that no one wants to be common, and that we'd lost our common sense, common courtesy, and common decency. My cousin told me it could only come out as a country song, so I dropped it.]

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Great find.

It sure beats:

Here lies Les Moore

Four shots from a forty-four

No Les no more

I think the above is from a tombstone in Abilene, Kansas, or some place like that. I didn't write it. I'm still on the run.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join