It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apostle John may still be alive walking the earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
John 21:18-22) 18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!" 20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") 21 When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" 22 Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."

There are 2 conclusions that can be drawn from this passage of the book of John in chapter 21. The first conclusion could be that Jesus' second coming has already taken place as John may have died and Jesus said he would not taste of death until Jesus' second coming

The second conclusion is that Jesus' second coming has not yet taken place and that would mean that Apostle John still walks this earth, possibly guiding the church from the shadows, since Jesus again said that he should not taste of death until Jesus' second coming.

So in regards to scripture it is entirely possible that John lives to this day, watching over us. Jesus holds the keys of death and hell, no one dies or goes to hell unless it is his will, hence "If i want him to remain until i return, what is that to you? You must follow me". Jesus was telling Peter that he had to be crucified, but he did not say that of John. This passage supports that if the second coming has not already taken place, that it is entirely possible John could be walking this earth 2000 years later, and we know that in the days of Adam men lived for centuries. Could John still be alive?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Could John still be alive?

He's just as alive as Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent are. Except Batman & Superman are far more real to people than John is. We need a superhero's help a lot more than an apostle's right now.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
John could be alive. He might be an anunaki - they seem to live forever - for that matter - J.C...could have been.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I really don't know if John is still alive....the only way I personally think he could be is if he has reincarnated....and he remembers who he was in a past life.

In thinking outside of the box.....perhaps by some mysterious means....he is still here on earth.

He is certainly here with us...by the words he spoke and wrote.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I always thought they were referring to Judas when Jesus told Peter "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." Also, it seems like I remember reading a theory a while back that basically said the same, Judas is still alive and walking the Earth until the 2nd Coming...Oh and it had something about him possibly being a vampire...I AM NOT saying that this is what I believe, just a theory I read somewhere...probably here

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
That is an interesting thought, but Jesus did return - he appeared to the apostles and told Thomas to touch his side.

However, I do think there are at least three immortals among us. Jesus raised three people from the dead. Once raised from death, what could possible kill them?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Jesus said "IF". He didn't say it would happen, basically it's figurative language. "What if I want John to remain alive until I come again, what's that to you?"

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

That speculation existed when that gospel was written and was answered in the very next verse;

"The saying spread abroad among the disciples that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but 'If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?'" John ch21 v23

In other words, that passage was inserted into the gospel in the first place in order to refute and debunk precisely the suggestion that you're putting forward.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
All i am suggesting is that it could be possible. Jesus being the holder of life and death could easily leave him behind to watch over future believers. It would make sense to appoint a gaurdian over the future church, but then again if he was still here i'd highly doubt the Spanish Inquisition would have transpired or the Crusades.

Still it could be possible. Thats what i would have done to keep corruption from mucking up the change i brought into place. That passage being an "if" leaves the possibilty open that he indeed could still be here.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

That passage being an "if" leaves the possibilty open that he indeed could still be here.

No, that's silliness. He's not still alive, and that's not what the Lord meant to imply.

edit on 8-12-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
lonewolf

Let's put aside that there is little reason to think that the Apostle John is the author of the Fourth Gospel, and it is not settled whether the author of the Fourth Gospel is is the Beloved Disciple. All that John 21: 24 says is that the Beloved Disciple wrote something containing his testimony; it is does not say that the something is the Fourth Gospel.

Does John 21 contemplate that the Beloved Disciple is still alive?

You quoted John 18-22. The next verse says:

23 So the word spread among the brothers that that disciple would not die. But Jesus had not told him that he would not die, just “What if I want him to remain until I come? [What concern is it of yours?]”

So, Jesus didn't say that the Beloved Disciple would survive until Jesus returned. As I read John 21, I suspect much of the point of the anecdote is that he had died. Be that as it may, there's nothing there to support the Beloved Disciple suriviving until today.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

the Melchizedek of Salem didnt live forever so I rather doubt John did.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BREWSE
I remember reading a theory a while back that basically said the same, Judas is still alive and walking the Earth until the 2nd Coming...Oh and it had something about him possibly being a vampire...

Do you mean you got that idea from watching the film Dracula 2000?

I hadn't heard about that theory anywhere else. In the Bible Judas hung himself and did indeed die. In fact his abdomen tore open and his insides poured out into a wasteland... pretty gruesome stuff, but then the Bible is full of some pretty gruesome things.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0cryptic0truth0

Originally posted by BREWSE
I remember reading a theory a while back that basically said the same, Judas is still alive and walking the Earth until the 2nd Coming...Oh and it had something about him possibly being a vampire...

Do you mean you got that idea from watching the film Dracula 2000?

I hadn't heard about that theory anywhere else. In the Bible Judas hung himself and did indeed die. In fact his abdomen tore open and his insides poured out into a wasteland... pretty gruesome stuff, but then the Bible is full of some pretty gruesome things.

Yeah but according to the bible Satan "entered" into Judas and Jesus told him "what you do, go do quickly" and that was when Judas went to the sanhedrin. Quite possibly Judas may have been under demonic possesion by Lucifer himself and Jesus used him to complete his task.

When Judas realized what had happened he hanged himself and one version of the story i had heard was he was resurrected. Jesus knew he had to be betrayed because none of the other apostles would have dared to turn him over to the pharisees. I suspect Judas would not have either if Satan hadn't possessed him. The question remains, "was Judas demon possessed when he betrayed Christ?", Jesus could have easily banished Satan but instead he did nothing. Why? Because he knew how the story had to play out.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Ah, Luke 22:3-6 and John 13:27. I have always wondered if Judas really deserves to be punished for his supposed sin. I mean, yes, he did betray Jesus, but if he hadn't would Jesus have been crucified? He needed to be turned over to the "authorities" in order for events to play out as they needed to. It was all part of the plan, so why would Judas need to be punished if he was only carrying out God's will?

Of course... then I start to think that even though what happened needed to happen he still committed a great sin. I suppose that in court even if I had done something against the law, for the greater good, I would still have to face the punishment for my crime. I'm still guilty of breaking the law, no matter my reasoning. In that line of thinking his actions must not go unpunished.

It's an interesting thing to think on.

edit on 9-12-2011 by 0cryptic0truth0 because: grammar

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0cryptic0truth0

Ah, Luke 22:3-6 and John 13:27. I have always wondered if Judas really deserves to be punished for his supposed sin. I mean, yes, he did betray Jesus, but if he hadn't would Jesus have been crucified? He needed to be turned over to the "authorities" in order for events to play out as they needed to. It was all part of the plan, so why would Judas need to be punished if he was only carrying out God's will?

Of course... then I start to think that even though what happened needed to happen he still committed a great sin. I suppose that in court even if I had done something against the law, for the greater good, I would still have to face the punishment for my crime. I'm still guilty of breaking the law, no matter my reasoning. In that line of thinking his actions must not go unpunished.

It's an interesting thing to think on.

edit on 9-12-2011 by 0cryptic0truth0 because: grammar

Well Judas had been sighted talking to Jesus seperately on many occasions as Jesus sometimes taught one on one with certain disciples. Nevertheless i do not think Judas is in hell, Satan possessed him and it was Satan riding Judas' body who did that. Jesus saw him possess Judas and he did not cast him out, so he obviously knew it had to be played out this way. The only being in all the universe with the power to destroy sin once and for all is God, which is why he came in the form of Jesus, to do just that. Only God could take sin onto himself and destroy it, thats my thoughts on it at least. It had to go down this way because even with the Mosaic Laws even your first thought of the day would be enough to damn you. The Mosaic laws were not enough to break man free of sin. I see this as a last ditch effort of God to save his greatest and favorite creation. Even the Apostles said that their ancestors couldn't keep the laws and thats why they chose not to force christian converts to learn the laws because they didn;t want to put a yoke around our necks that even their forefathers couldn't bear as mentioned in the book of Acts.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

“Apostle John may still be alive walking the earth”

Jesus said that this generation would not pass away until he had returned. The only way he could be talking about a future event, is if one (John), or many members of that past generation didn’t pass on. Crazy…I know!

Matthew 24:34-35

Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

So maybe John is still out there somewhere! Awaiting Jesus return, but if he is, I’m guessing he doesn’t age lol and that after all this time he’s become a very wise man.

- JC

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft

“Apostle John may still be alive walking the earth”

Jesus said that this generation would not pass away until he had returned. The only way he could be talking about a future event, is if one (John), or many members of that past generation didn’t pass on. Crazy…I know!

Matthew 24:34-35

Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

So maybe John is still out there somewhere! Awaiting Jesus return, but if he is, I’m guessing he doesn’t age lol and that after all this time he’s become a very wise man.

- JC

Through God all things are possible. Jesus holds the keys of death and hell and no one passes from one to the other unless it is his will alone. Originally they keys had been in Satan's possesion but when Jesus died he went to hell and took the keys from Satan and weakened his hold here. Jesus basically told Peter that if it was his will for John to stay alive until his second coming then he would and it was not to be Peter's concern.

If John is still alive he most likely would appear elderly and probably be a judeo-christian and still perform miracles on occasion. I doubt he'd be in the spotlight of any church and most likely would be watching and guiding from the shadows and working to keep the faith and doctrine pure.

Most commonly it is thought that he died on Patmos island and probably in his 90's but sightings of him had been seen by pagan people recorded in non-biblical writtings of him being seen as far up to 130 A.D. and well into his 100's after the fact that the generations were set from then on to be 70 years or 80 if you were strong and no more than that. Clearly John must have made it off of Patmos. Remember he was an Apostle and through the Holy Spirit was one of the few people that could convert thousands instantly. There is no doubt in my mind that he could have made it off the island any time he wanted and he probably did convert some in the roman garrison tasked with keeping him imprisoned on the island.

All i state is the possibility off it. Anyone who says it is not possible denies that God is as omnipotent as he claims.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

Perhaps you should go re-read that chapter. The "this generation" Christ was speaking about was not the audience in from of Him. It was the generation that would witness Israel become a nation again, or like Christ said, learn from the parable of the fig tree. ("Fig tree" = Israel in Biblical Eschatology)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join