It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran displays captured US drone

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
am I the only person who thinks it looks like some kind of paper mache model?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The RQ-170 is very old technology and the internal components could only generously be described as sparse. From what I understand of the computer system, it would be almost impossible to "hack" the drone to purposely engage in a controlled crash.

In addition, the altitude of the drone is beyond the range of AA fire. I have read reports that the most likely situation is that the Iranians got word that the drone was stationed at Base X and positioned their newly acquired Russian electronic intelligence and jamming system known as “Avtobaza" along the border. Then they simply need to have border sentries watch the skies and hope for the best. This would also explain the 5 day lag between the crash and Iran announcing they had the drone. It took them that long to actually locate it after it went down.

This is only speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised at all if the intelligence supplied to Iran about the drone being stationed at Base X was actually supplied by the CIA. The RQ-170 is considered expendable (the main reason it was also used in the Usama Bin Laden raid for pre-intelligence) and would be the ideal candidate to insert a very sneaky and hidden trojan.

Basically the ideal would be let the Iranians have the outdated craft with its minimal software package, knowing they would try to reverse-engineer the code, they would infect their own systems and open the possibility of a back door being unlocked.

If this is the case, it really would be very clever.

Just my two cents on this developing story.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Looks genuine to me... This is a coup for Iran.

Kind of funny how the US is now claiming it's hoaxed after first accepting it was lost over Iran.

It's entirely possible its controls were hijacked... There were reports of Iraqi insurgent groups hacking into American drones to keep an eye on what the drone was looking at during the occupation so they could warn their forces, etc... This would also explain why the auto destruct mechanism did not engage... It was disabled somehow.

The US just does not want to admit it.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Whats the point of a military without the threat of war, the greater the threat the greater the justification for expenditure on the military.

It is therefore advantageous for the military( those that do not actually put thier lives on the line) to allow the threat to occasionally get access to upgrades so it does not look like you are a university student picking a fight in a a pre-school. Remember, no matter how submissive the population becomes they are intolerant of extreme unfair advantage. Before you pick a fight its best to give those watching the belief your opponent can fight back. This is why so many unexploded artillery shells were dropped over afghanastan( By the american military) to provide the means to create ied's (which kill and maim those who put thier lives on the line) and why weapon buy backs in other country's made there way there.

Why practice on dummies when there are living targets to be had but make sure the targets can fight back so as to be more advantageous then fighting dummies in training camps. This way new medical techniques that flow to the private hospitals which are owned by the corporations that supply the new tech can also get to experiment on humans(soldiers) that cant object to the treatment(eprimental) the recieve.

If it works, great, if it doesn't they were killed in action. New techniques and weapons need REALITY TESTS. Thus the need for war is a perpetual want of those that supply the weapons!!!!

edit on 8-12-2011 by subtopia because: grammer

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Therefore its fair game... That's what we get for spying on others.... Enough said

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Warmer !

There's a few more dots that need connecting, the information is already out there !
Some one just needs to Finnish it off
I've read and heard a lot about this very scenario for the past few months - its just a little too convenient
Coupled with what I've heard in certain circles - I'm putting 2 and 2 together - and if my 4 is the 4 ( not often I'm wrong ) things are gonna get interesting
Sorry but I do not feel I can say more - just keep looking NOW - the pieces are already out there

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
am I the only person who thinks it looks like some kind of paper mache model?

either that or they captured this thing in a butterfly net. reeks of BS from both sides.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Is there any reason why this is painted yellow?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
If they did hack the drone.
then there will be a Lot of work on All US drones.
to change frequency's and any thing else they can come up with.

this was to be expected.
and now they know how to do it.
they will put a lot more research in to this.

I bet China and Russia will give them a call.
and pay them for the drone and how the brought it down.

if they can do this with a drone.
can they do it with a missile?

as for the under carriage not been seen.
have you ever plaid a flight game for the first time?
you can never find the under carriage key?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Maybe the US intelligence community (CIA, Military, etc.) wanted Iran to capture this drone...Maybe the US is counting on Iran or China to reverse engineer it, than using the similar technology themselves....This is considered "old" technology to the United States, so maybe they will than know how to counter it easier....Or maybe the US wants to see what Iran does with this technology, who they give it to, etc.....and then the US can track it??? who knows???

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
It's entirely possible its controls were hijacked... There were reports of Iraqi insurgent groups hacking into American drones to keep an eye on what the drone was looking at during the occupation so they could warn their forces, etc...[emphasis added]

There were no such reports. If there were, they were inaccurate. The video feeds intercepted by the insurgents and their state sponsors were broadcast in the clear. The only "hacking" involved was downloading the appropriate software package from Sourceforge and hitting the record button.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by spy66
reply to post by Xtrozero

Iran has the capabilities to dectect satelite comes with the help of ESM detection systems. Iran have bought sophisticated ESM systems from the Ukraine (The Kolchuga) in 2004 and built some of their own system as well.

But our satelites...this means we can switch on/off any signal we want with full control... not to mention how do they even control it...best they can do is maybe jam it...at best.

Well if the ESM detection system can spot the exact radio signal to the RQ-170 and block it.

It sure can duplicate the signal and use it to take control.

If the Drone was well within Iranian airspace the Iranians can have blocked the US signal from different triangular locations. Giving the Iranians a free aria (air space) to control the drone.

To the US this would look like a malfunction; That they lost control. Which they basically admit to that they did.

Iran can have been spying on the Drone while it was flying in Afghanistan prior to all this, without the US ever knowing about it. The ESM system is a passive detection system. The system that Iran has, has a range of about 800km. This might be how they were able to study and than capture it.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordOfArcadia
The RQ-170 is very old technology

If it is so old then what drone is being operated at a higher technological level by the US military/CIA? And I will not take you seriously if you claim that it is something so classified that we will know nothing about it for 20 years

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
gallery.military.ir...

This part, doesn't look really stealthy.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Well if the ESM detection system can spot the exact radio signal to the RQ-170 and block it.

I doubt the control system is that simple. It is certainly encoded, and not in a way that will work by reproducing a particular signal. It can be encoded with part of the key being timestamp or some pre-determined sequence like in SeucureID. There is no way it can be hacked so simply as you describe.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I doubt the control system is that simple. It is certainly encoded, and not in a way that will work by reproducing a particular signal. It can be encoded with part of the key being timestamp or some pre-determined sequence like in SeucureID. There is no way it can be hacked so simply as you describe.

Its all about having the right signal frequencies. If you have that down and send it to the drone it wont know the difference, it wont know if it is from the US or Iranians. The drone will respond.

The problem is that most nations dont have the right technology to detect low radio signals, but the Iranians do. Iran has got this thing; The Kolchuga..... read up on it.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The drone getting shot down is unlikely as you see in the picture. Hacked makes more sense but I would suspect China of the hacking more than I would Iran.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I have read all the posts.
and all I can say is,
ATS has a wonderful American Propaganda department.

Only sheep blindly believe in some thing.
how ever believable some one sounds.
bury you with info and babble.

I can see a day when you are ALL well and truly brain wash’t.
I am going down fighting.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Looks pretty beat up to me..... Profile of the front wing edge near the nose is flat forward facing also check out this pic Duct Tapped wings hidden underbelly. If it was shot down square on it body the wings will have gone first being an ultra light vehicle, everything would have been well damaged ...."hidden undercarriage".... and the top or hood would simply float down like airborn flopsom... I'd say it's junk jigsaw puzzle hiding the parts they couldn't fix. Just incase the above link doesn't work the duct tape is still visable on this one RQ-170 Jigsaw Puzzle
edit on 8-12-2011 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

Engine inlet on the upper side not visible from ground. Inlet screen to block radar from reaching engine internals.
This is pretty much F-117 stealth tech: sistemadearmas.sites.uol.com.br...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join