It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran displays captured US drone

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Iran has the capabilities to dectect satelite comes with the help of ESM detection systems. Iran have bought sophisticated ESM systems from the Ukraine (The Kolchuga) in 2004 and built some of their own system as well.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

If the aircraft was on a recon mission in Iran and had an engine failure it could easily have been flown to glide and land at some location where the Iranians got to it first.....

So my vote is it had an engine failure during a recon mission in Iran

So hows this for a coincidence....

MOSCOW - Russia has sent a set of mobile radar jammers to Iran and is negotiating future deliveries that Moscow believes do not contravene current United Nations sanctions on the Islamic state's regime,

LINK

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

Are you suggesting that Radar Jamming may have contributed to engine failure?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
reply to post by Xtrozero

Iran has the capabilities to dectect satelite comes with the help of ESM detection systems. Iran have bought sophisticated ESM systems from the Ukraine (The Kolchuga) in 2004 and built some of their own system as well.

But our satelites...this means we can switch on/off any signal we want with full control... not to mention how do they even control it...best they can do is maybe jam it...at best.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ken10

Originally posted by Xtrozero

If the aircraft was on a recon mission in Iran and had an engine failure it could easily have been flown to glide and land at some location where the Iranians got to it first.....

So my vote is it had an engine failure during a recon mission in Iran

So hows this for a coincidence....

MOSCOW - Russia has sent a set of mobile radar jammers to Iran and is negotiating future deliveries that Moscow believes do not contravene current United Nations sanctions on the Islamic state's regime,

LINK

Not sure the connection...in it would not kill the engine and if jammed the plane can auto fly home and then we would get control back once it is out of the jamming range. I truly think it was just an old fashion engine failure and as some suggest the intact one is a model, for if we cannot recover a drone we would just fly it at max speed into the ground....

If that is the real deal then someone really screwed up on the operation side of things.

edit on 8-12-2011 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by ken10

Possibly, or maybe they were able to take control of it after jamming the signal to bring it down safely (relatively).

And since these stealth drones are very unstable in flight, a loss of power would surely see the drone destroyed ?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What would be normal operational procedure be if a highly sensitive piece of equipment was lost in a foreign nation.

Example 1: CIA Drone lost in Saudia Arabia (Would they enter the country and recover/destroy?)
Example 2: CIA Drone lost in Iran, would they really risk entering the country?

**EDIT** In example 1 it is assumed Saudia Arabia is a more friendly place to attempt a recovery mission
edit on 8-12-2011 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by ken10

Possibly, or maybe they were able to take control of it after jamming the signal to bring it down safely (relatively).

And since these stealth drones are very unstable in flight, a loss of power would surely see the drone destroyed ?

They don't need an engine to fly, but need to descend to maintain airspeed which then really limits they glide distance. Knowing all that would go into gaining control and then flying it, I would say that is almost on the side of impossible, unless they somehow got a complete control station, but then that is just half of the problem.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOdogg

After looking at the video that the Iranians provided, I'll go out on a limb here. It screams "Fake!" to me.

Looks more like the Iranians mocked-up a full-scale model, just for that dog-and-pony show on TV. Notice the location typically where a manned airplane cockpit would be...it's a metal grating of some kind, NOT a smooth surface. Remember, this is a stealth design, and that sort of surface would blossom on radar like a beacon.

Also, note the "strategically placed" flags and bunting around the bottom. They didn't take the time to build the rest of it, like the landing gear and such.

And, the color. Perhaps when they mocked it up, they decided to paint it in a "desert scheme", because that is common for some of their fighters.....but, for the purposes of stealth, the idea is you want the airplane to blend in to the SKY, not the desert....so it cannot easily be seen from the ground.

Here is a link to some photos for reference:

hypersonicmissile.com...
edit on Thu 8 December 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
What would be normal operational procedure be if a highly sensitive piece of equipment was lost in a foreign nation.

Example 1: CIA Drone lost in Saudia Arabia (Would they enter the country and recover/destroy?)
Example 2: CIA Drone lost in Iran, would they really risk entering the country?

Example 2...fly it at max speed into the ground.... If they were a good distance in Iran and lost the engine they would not make it out and flying it into the ground would be their only option.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by TheOdogg

After looking at the video that the Iranians provided, I'll go out on a limb here. It screams "Fake!" to me.

Looks more like the Iranians mocked-up a full-scale model, just for that dog-and-pony show on TV. Notice the location typically where a manned airplane cockpit would be...it's a metal grating of some kind, NOT a smooth surface. Remember, this is a stealth design, and that sort of surface would blossom on radar like a beacon.

Also, note the "strategically placed" flags and bunting around the bottom. They didn't take the time to build the rest of it, like the landing gear and such.

And, the color. Perhaps when they mocked it up, they decided to paint it in a "desert scheme", because that is common for some of their fighters.....but, for the purposes of stealth, the idea is you want the airplane to blend in to the SKY, not the desert....so it cannot easily be seen from the ground.

Some pictures of the inside would be nice to prove to the world it was real..well if it had an inside....

BTW you are right.... Gray/blue is in-flight color schemes and desert browns color schemes are for ground objects to be hard to see from the air...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That sounds like assumption to me.

Unstable?

The Stealth f-117 and the B-2 are said to be unstable but fly through the use of Computer stabilized contributions but haven't heard anything yet about the drones. Also Radar Jamming is just that "Jamming Radar" How do you perceive them jamming a Sat signal then overriding the Drones RTB programming and finally taking control of the craft for landing?

I say this. The Drones suffered some sort of either mechanical or software failure and then it glided in and did a soft belly semi controlled crash landing.

IMO, This is exactly why the Iranians are not showing the undercarriage or landing gear. It's probably all scraped to hell.

edit on 8-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Just show me a picture of the cameras and I can tell you if it is real or not...hehe

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

Industrial design renders that are the actual design. Google searching the plane itself showed designs similar to the render, not so much the Iran TV one.

Do it yourself if you doubt it. The coloring is off, I don't like how that man just popped a piece out of the craft, and idk, the screen on the main engine seems suspiciously misaligned.

My thoughts mind you. Let the truth come out in time.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankieNinja

Yea, I've designed a few craft myself for fun. This just has that awkward feeling. If you're good at designing something, you develop a sort of 6th sense that tells you something is off even when you don't know what it is. I don't even have a profession in design for aircraft, I just like designing them for fun. If you're telling me you get the same feeling, I'm glad to see some professional back up.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Well I suppose there is always the possibility the Iranians did make a fake to show off while the real one is being scrutinised.

But the US has admitted to the fact, So Iran surely has got their hands on one.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Detection, and shooting down, as well as hacking, are two different worlds.

You can easily detect most man made things through some means. Even radar cloaks have their weaknesses. Hacking into it? Whole other story. Shooting it down? Whole other story.

Not to go all Hollywood, but in the movie independence day, it took them a whole 40 years with a downed alien ship to figure out the controls, before they even could think of hacking it.

Iran has to start from the bottom up. They have to literally have a craft before they can hack into one, and then train them.

I just don't buy this whole cyber warfare thing. They'r describing it like Fox News describes the internet. IE, you don't understand how computers work. You don't "get in range" and "fly it to the ground". That's not how these things work.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There gonna reverse-engineer it!!!!

Waiiittttt....I think this is the same country who showed off their water-floating-car-planes a few weeks ago.

Nevermind.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What is Iran's reason to fake it?

Both sides agree on what's happened. It's not like the US is saying Iran is lying...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 8-12-2011 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join