It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran displays captured US drone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Originally posted by Pockets

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Rather it may have been "hacked" like they originally said.

Who said that?

Both Iranian and US military personnel... I remember reading over 20+ articles about the drone and a few it was hacked.

Edit: www.emptywheel.net...

Well Iran didnt buy up all of those playstations fer nuthin!

Anyway, I dont think anyone reads articles. The drone wasnt armed and was doing surveillance over the Afghan border.. the handler lost control of it ( bad pilot, jamming, or hacked who knows..) and they didnt know where it went. Then Iran claimed they "shot it down". Probably more realistically it fell out of the sky over the Iranian border. NOT all drones are armed so no, that arent all killers unless it falls out of the sky and lands on your head.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It was not hacked in a maner that allowed control. No one seems to think its a little strange that the Iranians are showing what appears to be a fully intact vehicle? I am calling BS on the Iranians. Thats a mock up they threw together to score PR points. Notice it has no visable undercarraige! I will bet that the real drone is a smoking hole in the mountains and they could not retreive it. I frankly am glad that the US is spying on Iran and fully expect that to be done with drones. That means occasionally one will go down due to failure. When it does it wont look like it just landed at Ayatollah International and rolled up to a terminal.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOdogg

This is like giving a computer to a cave man. What are they going to do with it? Probably break it, hit it with a hammer a bit and turn it into a house. Seriously who cares?

+27 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by e11888

This is like giving a computer to a cave man. What are they going to do with it? Probably break it, hit it with a hammer a bit and turn it into a house. Seriously who cares?

Speaking of cavemen, your comment sure reads like something I would expect to come from one. The Iranians cannot be likened to cavemen in any sense and to do so only shows your ignorance.

Bravo.
edit on 8-12-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

Speaking of cavemen, your comment sure reads like something I would expect to come from one. The Iranians cannot be likened to cavemen in any sense and to do so only shows your ignorance.

Bravo.

Hi I take everything I read so seriously that I insult others because I cant understand the concept of sarcasm.

Go outside. Get some fresh air.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I really think this aircraft can explain a lot of UFO sightings. Even back when the X-Files where around, they always made the UFO's triangle crafts.. and that is what most people see these days too. Could just be these spy planes..
Just a thought

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

Bravo.

Hi I take everything I read so seriously that I insult others because I cant understand the concept of sarcasm.

Go outside. Get some fresh air.

There is absolutely nothing in your post that indicates that you were being sarcastic. Nothing at all. Not even something like this:

BS, you weren't being sarcastic. Narrow minded and uninformed? Most certainly.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This is pointless. I woudl imagine that the Iranians did manage to get a hack running on it, but the internal security stopped the hack before it managed to establish control, thus crashing the drone.

I also think it the displayed drone is a mock-up. I'll bet there's a plastic model of the drones out already. I had a model of the stealth plane before it was debuted.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This looks to me like there are bigger problems than the US is fessing up to. You don't just 'lose control' of an unmanned drone and lose it outright to the point you don't know where it went. They routinely fly these drones and there are no doubt, redundant safeguards built into them like the before mentioned 'Return to Base' feature.

It is clear to me that the drone was in no way shot down or damaged in flight. Iran has hidden the undercarriage for some reason or another. My guess is the drone belly landed in the desert (perhaps a built in safeguard) and the bottom is banged up. Or maybe Iran doesn't want anyone to know if if belly landed or if perhaps they did in fact 'take control' in flight and hijack it. As it stands from the video, its impossible to know if it landed on a runway or skidded into a field.

Either way, I have no doubt that Iran had a significant role in its landing in Iran instead of wherever it was supposed to. Given that it is pretty stealthy, it shows clearly that we can't sneak into Iran with our conventional Stealth technology. Taking F117, B2, etc... off the table for sneak attacks.

Also, if Iran did 'take control' of this thing in-flight, who is to say that they can't hijack an armed drone and do some damage. Maybe a US drone attack on Israel. Just sayin'...

There are a lot of possibilities here but one thing is clear, they got a hi-tech drone of ours and it didn't simply fall out of the sky and land in 1 piece like that without some very cleaver intervention.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
From the video, the Drone looks unusually intact for an aircraft that crash landed. I would think that first incursion vehicles such as stealth drones would have some kind of self-destruct mechanism which would be activated on loss of contact (i realize some are designed to fly back to base) or upon some kind of severe impact.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmysinger
Either way, I have no doubt that Iran had a significant role in its landing in Iran instead of wherever it was supposed to. Given that it is pretty stealthy, it shows clearly that we can't sneak into Iran with our conventional Stealth technology.

It shows that we can't sneak into Iran all the time. It doesn't show that we can never sneak into Iran. There have been perhaps hundreds, even thousands, of successful sorties that we haven't heard about because they weren't shot down/crashed.
edit on 8-12-2011 by FurvusRexCaeli because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Iran are saying they SHOT this drone out of the sky because they don't want their enemy knowing they have the capability to hack and take control of their equipment.

You never show your hand.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

The way they're describing it sounds like a Fox News understanding of how electronics work.

I'm not exactly bought yet. Also considering that this does not look like the actual thing exactly.

en.wikipedia.org...

I think they shot it down, then created this fabrication to say they captured it.

It takes a long time to train these pilots. I don't imagine them having the on-site skills to hijack it, let alone fly it down.
edit on 8-12-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Excellent. Now Iran can manufacture drone flying stealth boats!

I smell a mole...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

I don't see a mole, because the craft looks awkwardly different from the actual design. I smell a fabrication.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Sorry, But aren't you comparing it to an artists impression on Wiki ?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Speaking on a strictly "Strategic" point of view...

Who the hell is running that monkey show over at Langley or the Pentagon? Stealth chopper parts left in Pakistan [Shared with China] Drone captured by Iran.

With people like this running the show who needs to worry about spies?

Oh Never mind...
I forgot who is occupying 1600 Pennsylvania ave presently.

I believe they are all Americans running the Show in the US.
I guess we all know who to blame.

But Iran will get the blame for having sophisticated ESM detection and tracing system, which is a bitch for the US doing as they please.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOdogg
reply to post by dplum517

Self destruct seems like a very good idea indeed, I guess they always hope to get them back .... even if they crash...

Hacking is an interesting point.. I fly drones for a living and hacking would be difficult. If these drones are like preds then they are controlled through satellites and local control. Local control for takeoff and landing and then handed to sat control. I don't think they would have the capability to hack through satellites since we can control that, but then 128bit encryption or better makes hacking through local control hard too, not to mention these babies are most likely flown by using advance software/interface (that they would need to have to control it) in a full up cockpit control environment.

Many UAVs have lostcom logic where they fly back home and auto land based on timers in the logic, so I'm not sure about this one but it is safe to assume if it lost com link it would fly home and land, so whether it lost link to jamming or equipment failure would not prevent it from flying home using onboard logic. I truly doubt they have the means to get it and then safely land it, and this bring up what could have happen....

If the aircraft was on a recon mission in Iran and had an engine failure it could easily have been flown to glide and land at some location where the Iranians got to it first.....

So my vote is it had an engine failure during a recon mission in Iran

Most likely some camel herder chained it to a tree to prevent it from escaping until the authority got there. That is about as advance as it gets for them....
edit on 8-12-2011 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

As a career aviator (aircraft technician) I have to agree with you. This "drone" is NOT the real thing. I am not buying it for one second. First of all, the intake is incongruent with the actual design. Seondly, it looks MUCH more like a mock-up than an actual craft and third, if it were the real thing, then one would think it would have a self destruct mechanics (like many NASA rockets have in the event of catastrophic failure) and finally, if it IS the real thing, then I woud have to be inclined to believe in the "trojan horse" theory. Good post!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Unless a double agent gave them the cipher to break the encryption? Then it would be possible to hack the local landing mode?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join