It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran displays captured US drone

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by Xtrozero

so you think it just malfunctioned , ditched in iran and they recovered it?

this is the only other possible scenario.

personally i think they had the ability to detect & track it. They may have even managed to disable it via some form of EW. Then recovered it.

I'm going with the engine malfunction or ran out of gas. This is about it to limit its distance. I'm not sure about a self-destruct system...all that is extra weight that might not be a viable option . I guess we will see... one down means little, so if Iran has more then we can speculate more too.

The internal parts are probably already in Russia.

It's too bad. This was easy to fix. -1 line of code -

IF GPS = 0 THEN CHANGE HEADING TO DUE EAST FOR 30 MINUTES ELSE IRAN GRABS IT

By flying due east the drone would move out of GPS jamming range. Then fly to home base.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

yeah its a result for the russians/chinese this one. Reminds me of when that russian pilot defected with a mig-25 foxbat. The US stripped and tested it revealing a lot of new info and correcting them on stuff they were completely wrong about. Link

Inaccurate intelligence analysis caused the West initially to believe the MiG-25 was an agile air-combat fighter rather than an interceptor. NATO obtained a better understanding of the MiG-25's capabilities on 6 September 1976, when a Soviet Air Defence Forces pilot, Lt. Viktor Belenko, defected, landing his MiG-25P at Hakodate Airport in Japan.

nothing they can do about it now except update it to protect against any harmful info the enemy might gain.
edit on 9-12-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Thank you for posting the "official version" of the stealth technology. Trace the tech back to the origins of the Surface Barrier Transistor, (Philco) and the E.T. Corporation, (Electronic Transistors Corporation) and a man named Herman Anapoly, who was an instructor at RCA Institute, now called The Technical Careers Institute. When E.T. Corporation whet into bankruptcy, they then emerged as "Orion Diversified."

Also research Brookhaven Laboratories, and their offshoots in the tech world.

It is a great deal more than paint, friend. And unless you were on the scientific design team, you don't know anything but what you have been told.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Also research Brookhaven Laboratories, and their offshoots in the tech world.

What's there to research about BNL?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here is what I believe happened. The Russians are being prepare for something big. First they gave Syria 100 of their most advanced anti-ship missiles and now this with the drone. Has the decision to strike Iran and Syria already been taken???? Very possible and the Russians know this...

Monday, Oct. 25, Moscow announced the delivery to Iran of Avtobaza truck-mounted jammers, which are portable advanced short-range electronic weapons designed for defense against attacking planes, drones and rockets.
DEBKA-Net-Weekly’s military sources report that the Avtobaza jammers are activated by Russian electronic anti-aircraft and combat systems, part of a very advanced radar system called ELINT-electronic signals intelligence which provides early warning when enemy warplanes and rockets approach targets.
The Avtobaza's range is exceptional. It can jam and disarm 60 targets simultaneously at a 150-kilometer range and through 360 degrees. Its response time is up to 20 minutes.
ELINT transmits incoming data via fiber optics to electronic command air defense centers which then goes into action to foil those attacks.
Russia may have taken the opportunity to conduct a field test in Iran of its cutting-edge system against a sophisticated piece of American drone hardware.
So far, Moscow has only given Tehran the jammers, not the rest of the system. However after the Avtobaza sale was clinched three months ago, Washington and Jerusalem began to suspect that the Russians and Iranians had secretly agreed to the sale of the entire ELINT system to Iran in careful stages to disarm opposition.
The complete ELINT infrastructure, with exhaustive Russian instruction, would be able to identify and strike any planes or drones, even stealth aircraft, entering Iranian air space.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
Therefore its fair game... That's what we get for spying on others.... Enough said

Agree completely.

You win some..You lose some.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by pavil

It doesn't land when it loses radio contact... it would most likely go into a circular flight until it regained radio contact. It would be asking to put top secret engineering into enemy hands by having it just land.

They are programmed to crash themselves before landing.. It likely came down and landed on it's belly as explained in the wiki article.
en.wikipedia.org...

This would make sense as the underbelly is probably damaged and the wings might have snapped off from the impact (Thus the duct tapes around the wing joins).

However lets see how much more interesting can this whole incident get

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by banishedfromthisarea
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

I don't believe it's U.S. I think it is something Israel made and sent into Iran and landed it. Iran played into that hand and said the "shot it down". If this theory is correct, then it is a design by Israel to get Iran to attack our Navy off the coast of Syria.

Now you see...this is why I come to ATS. We need many more angles and theories.

Ofcourse none of us will know the truth (maybe after its declassified after some 20 or 30 years or so
).

Until then, all we can do is possibly reconstruct and replay the possible scenarios and the non-technical intents of countries involved in the Middle East Theatre

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by TheOdogg

This is why the Air Force cannot even consider reducing the human pilot program.editby]edit on 8-12-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

Interesting that you should mention this.
Hopefully the manned pilot program will extended for a much longer period into the future instead of reducing.

edit on 9-12-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by e11888

Well that kind of sarcasm is really not needed, and not neccesary, you are only drawing more attention from the rest of the ignorant trolls, that will see your comment and reply with 'lol, nice one dude' or something along those lines.....

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So it was nice to see the Iranian guard displaying the Drone with an American flag under it with skulls where the stars should be..... At least they like us

Does anyone know what the message reads on the flag???

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well done on the iranians capturing the drone, i hope they do manage to reverse engineer the design so they can let it drift 'accidently' into american territory and give them langley a taste of their own medicine.

I read somewhere they shot the drone down, it really doesnt look like the drone had been damaged in the video, not extensively at least, these high-end stealth drones fly high, to shoot one down i would imagine will cause a lot of damage from that elevation.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISeekTruth101
Well done on the iranians capturing the drone, i hope they do manage to reverse engineer the design so they can let it drift 'accidently' into american territory and give them langley a taste of their own medicine.

I read somewhere they shot the drone down, it really doesnt look like the drone had been damaged in the video, not extensively at least, these high-end stealth drones fly high, to shoot one down i would imagine will cause a lot of damage from that elevation.

The left wing came off and they put it back together for the video...If you go back through this thread a guy posted 4 pictures that show the left wing with being bandaged together...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Gorman91
I think they shot it down, then created this fabrication to say they captured it.

The US Military is notorious for decals for idiots like "Put gas here" "Don't step here" "Latch" etc. I see no marking like that at all

edit on 9-12-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

Now that you brought it up, I'm wondering if Iran is to make a strong point against the US and its espionage activity against Iran by displaying any idiot proof decals then it would have been shown in the image. Unless the CIA versions doesn't come with Decals?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderboy2402
Maybe it is some way to gauge Iran/China ability to backwards engineer the technology or something.

I thought about it as well. Perhaps a test to verify the defense and not necessarily the ability to Reverse Engineer since they can always seek help from Russia or China or any other country with the know how. To me it also seems throwing a bait to test the defense (Electronic Jammers etc etc) of the opponent since they were received about 6 weeks ago from Russia? Just a thought.

Several valid points and angles on this OP. It would be very very interesting week in news related to the Drone.
edit on 9-12-2011 by hp1229 because: add content.

edit on 9-12-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
Perhaps a test to verify the defense and not necessarily the ability to Reverse Engineer

That's an interesting idea. What if the command decided to sacrifice a drone in a real test of Iranian air defense capabilities? Before it went down, it could have transmitted a lot of pretty unique info.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This amuses me to no end. First to all the people stating that this should have had a self-destruct mechanism built-in to avoid the lost of intellectual property and secrets. If the device's receiver is beyond the transmission capacity of the controls, then a self-destruct command cannot be received and executed by the drone.

That said, I believe that Iran hacked this drone and landed it. The pictures i've seen in this thread don't prove anything beyond surface damage to the UAV which could have easily happened at any time during the UAV's life, and had the device malfunctioned and crashed there would be significantly more damage just due to the inertia of the craft crashing.

It's really not surprising that this has happened. The US gov has been spying on Iran for years now, and if they've been using these vehicles to do so then the Iranian government has had ample time to see the rogue electromagnetic signals in their airspace and record the data being transmitted across this signal. With a large enough pool of recorded data it would only be a matter of time before they decrypt the encryption algorithms as well as reverse engineer the controls for the device.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Your function to "fix" the drone wouldn't work.

If GPS = 0 THEN head east...

Why doesn't it work? Well - if the GPS = 0 then what will your line of code use determine what direction east is in order to execute a new flight plan?
edit on 9-12-2011 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa
This amuses me to no end. First to all the people stating that this should have had a self-destruct mechanism built-in to avoid the lost of intellectual property and secrets. If the device's receiver is beyond the transmission capacity of the controls, then a self-destruct command cannot be received and executed by the drone.

Have you ever heard of "dead man's switch"?

The self-destruct can be activated by a timer, UNLESS a "safety pin" is there, which is an encrypted heartbeat from the control station. I thought that was easy to figure out. The craft misses a number of heartbeats and goes boom.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by hp1229
Perhaps a test to verify the defense and not necessarily the ability to Reverse Engineer

That's an interesting idea. What if the command decided to sacrifice a drone in a real test of Iranian air defense capabilities? Before it went down, it could have transmitted a lot of pretty unique info.

Well it very well could have transmitted a lot of pretty unique info since the US knows what Iran has purchased from Russia as well. Someone mentioned it before ELINT.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join