It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran displays captured US drone

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by K1771gnorance

Dude there are many instances where us technology has been proven inferior under certain circumstances on the battlefield. This being one of them. From the evidence presented it appears that the Iranians used EW to take it down. Whether it was hacked remains debatable. There is no evidence in either side that can make any more claims than this. The military certainly is losing sleep over this because it is one of the better drones from Lockheed. They spent millions making this Undecteable and invulnerable only to find out that Iran can take them out. We just gave them our next decade of technology on a sliver platter. Unmanned warfare is the next. It hint and they just got our best bird. If this was nothing to worry about why doesn't the military allow anyone to go onto a USAF airbase and buy or inspect one of these if it's not that important
edit on 9-12-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: Spell

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
Just received a link to this article

Plane was hacked

The municipal water pump destroyed last month in Springfield was from a cyber attack
originating in Russia.

This article explains that another cyber attack of unknown origins infiltrated the Air
Force Base where these stealth spy planes are housed. Last week Russia delivered to Iran
a new anti stealth defense technology. Now they prove that this spy drone did not crash
as our government claimed but was hacked, taken over and landed by Iranian cyber defense.

Not only is Iran, Russia and China at this moment analyzing this drones stealth
capabilities and memory but most seriously it gives more evidence that our completely
interdependent and fragile infrastructure could potentially be switched off like a
lightswitch by a now exceedingly adept enemy whom while outnumbering us over 1000 to 1 we
have until now kept at bay via technological superiority.

If this is true, then it will take no time for the Russians/Iranians to reverse engineer this. Could it be that the US intended for this drone to be captured as a reason to go into Iran?

This is pretty scary.

I thought this has been cleared up?

Wired.com's security blog Threat Level contacted the contractor behind the Russian IP address that sparked the hacking rumors, and spoke to the man who logged on overseas. "I could have straightened it up with just one phone call, and this would have all been defused," Jim Mimlitz told Wired.com. Mimlitz, founder and owner of Navionics Research, was vacationing in Russia in June and had logged on to check the system's data. But no phone call was made after a repairman working on the failed pump was examining the logs on the SCADA system on Nov. 8 and saw the Russian IP addressed connecting to the system with Mimlitz's username next to it, Wired.com reports.

Source

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

On that note, another thread discussing exactly that possibility.

New Possible Theory On the Downed RQ-170 Drone from an Insider

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

the only crumb of comfort is that it wasn't a reaper drone with attack capability. I think it would be worse to lose one of those intact to the enemy.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

the only crumb of comfort is that it wasn't a reaper drone with attack capability. I think it would be worse to lose one of those intact to the enemy.

What do you mean "enemy" ...?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
Doesn't really matter what the US may do in future, As of right now any attack against Iran by cruise missiles and other guided munitions have been compromised and could have little effect.

The Bully has been kicked in the testicles, which should make him stop and think.

Hmmm...and how does the Iranians having this drone have anything to do with a cruise missile strike? Don't you think that if the US wanted to do that, we probably already have all the recon and intell we need?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

It's still a theory; one of many... Now we have them using stuxnet and Other things. I still think it was EW and there may have been some hacking.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

This was more advanced than the reaper

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Anyone think that maybe this is fake? Just something the Iranians mocked up using info that you can find on the errorweb?

That being said, that Iranian press shot looks like the 1st place winner at a 6th grade science fair. As least they could have bondo'd the wing seams.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sHuRuLuNi

What do you mean "enemy" ...?

what would you call Iran? an ally?

This was more advanced than the reaper

yeah but at least the dont have any attack capability intel from it.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I am of the same opinion, that it was hijacked via signal intercept.

Of course only time will tell.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

which allowed them to steer clear of the targeted areas. Pretty useful if your Taliban.

Pretty useful for clearing out targeted areas too... They can control an area without firing a shot.

Not everyone had the software and a laptop, get real.

you don't know anything about Irans capability

I don't need to know their capabilities to know what is capable and what is not.

and your what? the foremost expert on iranian capability and the design spec of this drone? did you design the drone? have you analysed all its systems for any possible weaknesses? do you have one?

That is for me to know and you to never find out.

You don't need to know much beyond computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering, and radio communications to deduct what I have.

I could definitely build a drone if I wanted to (I actually have built drones before) that can never be hijacked. Shot down? Yes. Hijacked? Yeah right!

If the US isnt bothered about letting other countries see their drones why did they refuse pakistans request to sell them some?

Selling multiple functioning drones along with the flight systems to control them is a lot different than crashing a single drone in enemy territory......
edit on 9-12-2011 by K1771gnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I was thinking if it was a signal hijacking why didn't the USAF use codes that allow each command to be expressed differently. What I mean by this would be like a simple hash that would say the command to turn right and each commas would transmit differently but only the drone would know it

link   
I'm not gonna go through
the whole 15 pages
But does the Image on display
look like a Fake to Any1 else

I mean to me it reminds of a
prototype style model made of clay
or foam... did they repaint it and touch
it up.

They could have retrieved the equivalent
of a five gallon bucket filled with debris
left after the crash for all we know... and whats
on Display to taunt USA is just an Artists rendition of
the Sentinel 170 modeled after leaked
photos all over the net.

This 1 photo taken straight on...
that's it ? come on
I'm still not convinced... Iran is possession of anything more than junk or wreckage
edit on 12/9/2011 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

link   

what would you call Iran? an ally?

Sure, why not.
edit on 9/12/2011 by sHuRuLuNi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Where is the picture of Osama I'm not convinced. Pix or it didn't happen

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

point to one of my posts where i said they hijacked it. Its the second time you've created that straw man.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

They use a form of challenge-response authentication which is like a constantly changing password which is then used as a SALT to encrypt the commands that are sent and received. That makes it humanly impossible for them to "signal intercept" a drone. Which is why I doubt they "signal intercepted" anything.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

There are more images than the ones your referring to, just go to cryptome.org for example, scroll down and have a look see. They have a few hires images.
edit on 9-12-2011 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

Starting at the third photo.
edit on 9-12-2011 by ADVISOR because: of link embed and note to scroll to third image of linked site

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

point to one of my posts where i said they hijacked it. Its the second time you've created that straw man.

Holy crap man.... This entire time I have been arguing against the possibility that the craft was hijacked and flown to safety by Iran, and you have been trying to argue against me.... Why on Earth would you argue against me if you were not trying to support the idea that it was hijacked?

Wow, thanks for wasting my time. I HATE when people do what you just did... You argue against me, you assert a certain position in the debate, then when you get pushed into a corner with nowhere to go you you claim you didn't assert anything and you disown the argument you seemed to be trying to support. Good one.

I'm done speaking to you.
edit on 9-12-2011 by K1771gnorance because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join