It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of Speech and Expression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
While going through the different news of the day, I came across this article. Moderators, if this is not the correct forem, please move to the correct spot.

worldnews.msnbc.msn.com...

What is disturbing about this entire article, is how someone living in another country, was tried and found guilty for an offense that did not even take place in Thailand at all. His sentence is pretty much unjust and he will be spending time in a prison for such. Even though in the past, such was given a pardon, it still should give us all pause to think and consider the ramifications of such.

In the US, there is a long standing tradition and law that allows for we the people to express ourselves, be it tasteful or distasteful, no matter what the message is. Groups that most of us would not belong to, are allowed to exist and operate in the USA without fear of being incarcerated. We live in a country where our freedoms are given the highest consideration, yet here is a case, where such is being weighed, does their law extend to all of the world? After all, there are thousands of miles of ocean between the 2 countries, yet with the rise of the Internet, it is far and few between. It is a sad state of affairs, when our very freedoms that we take for granted are put on trial in other countries.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Boo Hoo Just because he is an American doesn't give him right to go to another country and break their laws. And freedom of speech is an American right it only works in America.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
ATS mods should do more to encourage freedom of speech on ATS.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
He wasn't extradited or anything. He should have been aware of the laws in his country of origin and knew the potential consequences for returning there of his own free will.
I disagree with Thailand's laws. Just saying, it's kind of the guy's own fault.
Makes you realize how good we have it here, even with the problems we do have.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I don't know anything about the laws of Thailand, but I'm assuming that they don't have free speech, after reading this story. The man was born in Thailand and even though he's a US citizen, he broke Thai law (apparently) and they arrested him for it IN Thailand.

We are very fortunate to have our freedoms (such as they are).

top topics

join