It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a Rodent Virus currently attacking our animals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
(Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please move it mods if its not, thanks)

For the past 2-3 weeks, i have noticed amongst friends and friends of people i know, that Rodents, from Hamsters, Mice, and even Rabbits have all been dying in a fairly frequent amount.

Most of the people i know who own Hamsters have had them all die in the past 2-3 weeks. One person in particular, owned a hamster that died, and after about 10 days bought a new mouse and the mouse died after a few days.

I understand that it's cold at the moment, and that temperatures are much lower, even in heated houses, but i think Syrian hamsters live in a desert environment in the wild, and at night it must get as cold there. Also, my girlfriend is one of the people who has lost a Hamster, and her house is usually very warm.

I don't think, because of the sheer amount of deaths i've heard about, they can all be attributed to environmental causes, which has left me wondering about what is causing this?

The only thing i can think of is that there is possibly a flu type virus effecting the rodent population. If so, there has been nothing in the media about it (but then what could they do, apart from cause a slight panic for pet owners?).

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
here is a site you can read through for some possible clues.

ukpmc.ac.uk...:%22Rodent+Diseases%22+SORT_DATE:y

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinterskogen

Environmental...possibly, such as changes in weather as a quick shock to the system. Check locally for anything as the post above attempts to post-link doesn't work. Keep in mind too that rabbits are not rodents, but lagomorphs(their digestive system is more like a horse and of course their body movement, etc., is different than a rodentia). Seems more likely it's not a virus if rabbits are included but rather small exotic pets. If the rabbits are not connected, you may want to find more local info on Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis(rodent virus).

Other questions apply; where the animals bought from the same store? Where the same cages used, with the owner who had numerous losses? What feed was used? Are they fed and watered at proper times? Are chemicals present in the home? Is it drafty where the animals are kept? I'd also call your local animal control and or animal shelter and see if similar reports have been noted.
edit on 8-12-2011 by dreamingawake because: more...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinterskogen

I wish there was a rodent disease on my property. The Damn gopher are eating everything. I lost 2 fig trees last month and all of my aloe vera plants. They eat the rootball and kills of the plants. You cant walk 1 foot on my property without sinking into a goper hole. Im about to do a caddy shack on them and start pumping acetylene down them holes....

top topics

join